Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange conection problem...not your usual issue

Options
  • 20-04-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I've been using the same wireless network at home for a few years now. My latest router is about a year old. I regularly update the firmware to keep things ticking over smoothly.

So three weeks ago got a new Sony Vaio VPCSB from work, brought it home and connected to the network. It worked fine for about a week and then one Saturday, in the middle of a surfing session, the connection dropped.

I then discovered that the computer could no longer see the network. Whatever I did didn't work, including deleting the network profile and setting it up again. I could see my neighbours wireless as I always could but it just wouldn't find my network, despite me broadcasting my SSID.

My four year old MacBook Pro connected automatically to the network as always, as did my wife's six year old MacBook Pro (from her workplace). My iPad connects without a problem either. My Vaio connects to my work wireless and to two networks when I was in Brussels this week.

So...tonight I had had enough and I checked my router again. I discovered new firmware and backed up my network settings and installed the new firmware.

Yay, My Vaio now connects to the network, as does my iPad and my wife's MacBook Pro :)

Huh? WTF? Now my MacBook Pro won't connect?
    Any idea what's going on here?

I've checked that the SSID is broadcasting, the Security platform and password haven't changed. The MacBook can see the network but just won't connect.

Any ideas on where I should start with this?

Advertisement