Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run - where does the money go?

• 21-04-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Is the great limerick run in aid of charity, or is there someone getting rich out of it? The entrants fees seem high enough and they recruit volunteers for marshalling etc. I've never seen any mention of any charity in connection with it .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

because it's a commercial project. a great business venture I must say

to local charitys i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

AFAIK its all private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

The entrance fee goes to the organiser, the run itself must cost a fortune to organise.

Runners will usually run for a charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    because it's a commercial project. a great business venture I must say

Ha?

So people are harassing co-workers, neighbours etc. for money to then hand it over to some crafty BMW 7 series driving entrepreneur so they can run down a public road?

That can't be right?

- At least they're not taking peoples donated hard earned money to fund one of those wonderful and so exotic 'charity' holidays for themselves drinking bottles of Bud on the great Wall of China and all that obnoxious, pretentious, self-serving horseshít...... "Yaw, ahm going on a ridiculous indulgent long haul holiday for three weeks to help tiny Orphans and you all get to pay for it......"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Charity money is raised by the runners.

Any fees etc charged by the race organisers is kept by them afaik.

I just pay my fee each year and just run my run for my own chosen charities as I do with every marathon I enter during the year.

Some marathons/run events do have affiliated charities though which are publically listed for all to see. The Run Liverpool marathon (October 14th 2012 :D Slight plug as am involved in the lower levels of the organising of it ) has a long list of affilaited charities that entrants can run for if they close, or entrants can run for a charity of their choice or none at all. But a % of all entry fees goes towards the listed charities, plus there are newspaper, radio, and tv companies involved from early doors each year to make sure that the entrants can get free plugs for their charities etc.

The affiliated charities in return offer refreshment stalls and tents for the runners after the races, and even have things like massages available for the runners along with allowing family/close friends of runners to wait in these behind the scenes locations. The charities also give free running vests to anyone who is affiliated with them for the run.

Would love to see the organisers of the Limerick run go over and have a look first hand at how the Run Liverpool marathon and race day operates on the day itself. I think a similar set up would look amazing in a city as small as Limerick, and getting in a good number of affiliated charities that are listed well in advance with the option available on the official website for each entrant to affiliate himself/herself to one of those charities would be a fantastic addition to the Limerick run as it would mean people could get involved with supporting a charity through a click of their mouse.

My main hope this year is that some of the kinks in the run itself are sorted out. I know that many of the serious runners expressed concerns last year and the year before at a few things that potentially would be safety risks for runners, many that were brought up in this forum and in the running forum.

Pretty much said the same thing as all the above last year, and also to some of those involved in the Limerick run.

But if anyone on here has a friend or work colleague that is running then encourage them to do so for a local charity because they will be running anyway so it would be an added bonus if a charity they agreed with got some benefit from the run, or if they are already doing it for charity, chuck them a few quid for doing so and maybe come out and give them a shout as they run by if they are fun runners who will be feeling the burn and need a bit of encouragement..

Raiser wrote: »
    Ha?

So people are harassing co-workers, neighbours etc. for money to then hand it over to some crafty BMW 7 series driving entrepreneur so they can run down a public road?

That can't be right?

- At least they're not taking peoples donated hard earned money to fund one of those wonderful and so exotic 'charity' holidays for themselves drinking bottles of Bud on the great Wall of China and all that obnoxious, pretentious, self-serving horseshít...... "Yaw, ahm going on a ridiculous indulgent long haul holiday for three weeks to help tiny Orphans and you all get to pay for it......"

No. If people are running in the Limerick run for a charity, then it is because those people went out and affiliated themselves with that charity and as such what they raise goes to that charity and not the race organisers.

There will be hundred and hundreds of runners who will be raising money for one charity or another, myself included, and all that we raise goes to the charity of our choice. I don't run to get a trip to another country or what not. I run in marathons to test myself and the fact that I can raise money for a chatity or charities of my choice is a very nice bonus and a very good incentive for me to finish every marathon. Whatwever I raise goes to my charities, every cent of it.
    What the race organisers get is the entry fees that the runners themselves pay.

Raiser wrote: »
    Ha?

That can't be right?
    well, that's exactly what it is

well, that's exactly what it is

No it is not exactly how it is. You are talking utter bullcrap if you say so.

The entry fee paid by those who want to run goes to the organiser. The money raised by all the individual runners for their charities does not go to the organisers, and does not get handed over "to some crafty BMW 7 series driving entrepreneur". It goes to the charities that the runners are running for.

Not one cent of the money I raise goes to the organisers and it is pretty offensive to anyone who is willing to get off their arse and run for charity to suggest otherwise. I pay my entry fee out of my own money, and everything I raise through running goes to my charity.

If yourself and Raiser think that the organisers are getting the charity money that the runners are raising, then I suggest you go and report that to the gardai along with your evidence that the race organisers and runners are involved in doing so.

Bloody insulting to suggest that people trying to do something decent are handing money raised for charity over to anyone other than their chosen charity.

my apologies, you are right. the organisers don't get the money raised by people. they only get the fees, and whatever is given to them by the sponsors. I still think it's a little bit shady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 blobbybag

my apologies, you are right. the organisers don't get the money raised by people. they only get the fees, and whatever is given to them by the sponsors. I still think it's a little bit shady

seems to be the sad way of things, there was a local boxing event in Limerick, paid a pittance to the charities, the two characters organising it pocketed a fortune.
    It was so flagrant, the local boxing community felt insulted enough to set up a proper event.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If yourself and Raiser think that the organisers are getting the charity money that the runners are raising, then I suggest you go and report that to the gardai along with your evidence that the race organisers and runners are involved in doing so.

Bloody insulting to suggest that people trying to do something decent are handing money raised for charity over to anyone other than their chosen charity.

Easy there Kessmeister - If you read back I think its clear I was just wondering if it was true about what the organisers were getting etc. and then only as someone said it was being run as a nice ole moneyspinner.

The Charity holiday thing was totally separate, I strongly believe that its opportunistic nonsense for people to go on holidays in the name of charity - If cheap people want to trek Machu Picchu then they should please pay for it themselves and stop pretending its to 'help' others......

If they want to 'trek' for charity then may I suggest Brown Thomas to Rathkeale...... I'm good for €2.......

- Fair play to you for supporting charities that mean something to you, I think it would be apt to post a weblink and folk on here if you feel like it and we could perhaps throw you a few quid for your hard work......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

I've no doubt that any sponsorship money raised by runners for charity goes to charity. What concerns me is that alot of people have the impression that the entrants fees also go to charity, and this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

So, how much money do the organisers collect from the runners for this charitable event and what costs do they have to look after? What's a good estimate of their gross profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

i agree , surely they should publish/confirm the profit or otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Why should they have to publish anything to anybody other than what is required by revenue?

The are running a commercial venture the same as any other.

Why should they have to publish anything to anybody other than what is required by revenue?

Accounts must be published with the cro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

Because so many people are under the impression the whole thing is in aid of charity.There should at least be a statement on their website and literature that the event is a commercial/profit making venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

king2 wrote: »
    Because so many people are under the impression the whole thing is in aid of charity.There should at least be a statement on their website and literature that the event is a commercial/profit making venture.

It's not their fault so many people are thick. I took A look at their website and theres no mention at all of it being anything to do with charity.

Fair play to them for organising something that brings in a bit of revenue to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

king2 wrote: »

Tbf, they can't be expected to adjust their press releases for idiots.

• Advertisement

For those who want to know:

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=406149&type=C

You can purchase their accounts info there. I'm not really interested in em, so I'm not going to just yet.

Fair play to them for organising something that brings in a bit of revenue to the city.

I think this is a key point, tbh. Limerick Athletics Club has been in existence since 1877 but over the years has tended to be more for the elite end of the scale. In recent years this may have changed with the women's mini marathon but the "fun" or "non-elite" running community in Limerick has been without a major race in Limerick until the advent of the Great Limerick Run. By comparison, the Streets of Galway Run is going since the early 80's, as are the various marathon series in Dublin.

There's the usual "haters gonna hate" vibe about anything that happens in Limerick, no doubt there will be bitching from non-participants about the road closures etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

The entrance fees are very high though,far higher than most equivilants.....I'd be interested in a breakdown of where it goes. That's not begrudgery,I'd simply be curious.

Is there still a car for one lucky entrant? I don't drive,petrol too expensive.

Freiheit wrote: »
    The entrance fees are very high though,far higher than most equivilants.....I'd be interested in a breakdown of where it goes. That's not begrudgery,I'd simply be curious.

Well, if the entry fees are too high, don't enter and hope the organisers learn their lesson. View it as a commercial enterprise and all that comes with that, including a higher expectation than you'd have in a club/fun run.

However, don't expect the run to be cheap to run. These things aren't cheap to organise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Freiheit wrote: »

How much is it to enter to run the 6K, the mini or the full marathon?

How much are other races in Ireland? I think the one yesterday in UL was €10 for a 10K, how much is the one organised by LAC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Actually the 10k yesterday was E25 on the day,it was only E10 for early entrants.

There is no 6 k in the glr,it's 6 miles. It's 25 to enter now,E60 for the marathon,slight reductions for very early entrants,as in by the end of february.

It was E5 to enter the Ray Darcy 5k,the participants jersey was worth more than that.

Look I aint an expert myself but a family memeber is and they feel that it's very overpriced,saying that it shouldn't cost anywhere near that to hold.

However I don't really feel that strongly about it,esp. as I entered early for the 6 mile,it will be worth the E20 I paid for a good day. E60 for the marathon is a different matter entirely. But my sibling who has been involved in organising such events,was wondering where the money was going.

It's obviously a business,not a charity event as outlined by someone else.

Still though I'm curious,is it going to Limerick Athlletics club or the council or where?. Would be nice to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

some announcement on local radio this morning that they are in grant aid , that would require some form of accountability , however it has been success and does paint Limerick in a positive light and appears to be well run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

some announcement on local radio this morning that they are in grant aid , that would require some form of accountability , however it has been success and does paint Limerick in a positive light and appears to be well run

especially the multi coloured paint lines still on the roads for last 2 yrs. wonder what colour they'll use this year?

was going to enter with family this year but it worked out 100e for the 5 of us. we decided to do our own 10k that day and give the 100e directly to charity instead.

especially the multi coloured paint lines still on the roads for last 2 yrs. wonder what colour they'll use this year?

was going to enter with family this year but it worked out 100e for the 5 of us. we decided to do our own 10k that day and give the 100e directly to charity instead.

Fair play to you - If the subscription charge to this event is as overinflated as people have been making out, then I can't see the need to fill their fat, greedy pockets just to run down a public road.......

A run thats greater for some than others!!!

P.S. Whats this about the grant aid? Is it a private commercial venture to make a tidy profit so or what?

If so then how very Irish to be grant aiding it...... (ha?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 d0nroberto

Not sure I understand the problems with the run some people seem to have.
    Its a privately organised run. If you don't fancy paying, then don't.

I've been to other events and the entry fee is comparable.
    The limerick run is pretty well organised, a good course and the atmosphere in town is pretty good.
    I find it's nice not to have to travel half way across the country to compete in a run.
    If you feel strongly about 'fat cats' organising the race, why not setup your own event to get a piece of the action?

Advertisement