Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run - where does the money go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,633 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

+1 to above.

13 of us from Tralee entered the run (our first ever marathon) last year- it was great to complete it (even if my 4 hour 41 minutes time was pretty rubbish). This year, approx 20 from our group are participating- the fee is fair enough if you enter early.

I don't really see what the issue with the destination of the fee is- the organisers are a commercial undertaking so obviously and reasonably want to make a profit, like any commercial business. Well done to the organisers, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

king2 wrote: »
    Because so many people are under the impression the whole thing is in aid of charity.There should at least be a statement on their website and literature that the event is a commercial/profit making venture.

It has never been advertised as being a run for charity, and the home page on their website has never had a charity name on it. They do have a section within their website that says that people running could do so for a charity if they wanted.

And they do have a disclaimer on the website that states the race has nothing to do with the Great Run series.

As Amazo and Rainbow have already said, the race organisers cannot be expected to cater for people who are too thick to actually read the disclaimer or who for some reason suddenly decide that it is a charity race despite there never having being anything stating otherwise.

If people think it is a sham, then don't have anything to do with it. If people say there is something corrupt going on, then have the balls to report it to the gardai in your own name.

As a runner, it is not the most well organised of events, and it has some serious flaws, but all the information of what it is about has been publically available each year. It is up to people to find and read this info for themselves, rather than just deciding that the "heard" this or that about the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

some announcement on local radio this morning that they are in grant aid , that would require some form of accountability , however it has been success and does paint Limerick in a positive light and appears to be well run

Their office appears to be in the Tait Business Centre, which to my knowledge is a Shannon Development backed office centre for small startup businesses.

So if this event got a few people off the dole and does some good for the city thats great.

The fee of €60 looks expensive, but thats for the organisers to determine whats viable - I don't know what other races cost.

I had a look at google and the London marathon costs £35 (if your name gets pulled from the hat as its oversubscribed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

So if this event got a few people off the dole and does some good for the city thats great.
    not a slightest chance

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    not a slightest chance

So are you saying it causes unemployment and is bad for the city:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I was referring to the other part of your post:
    So if this event got a few people off the dole[...]

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I was referring to the other part of your post:

I'd imagine it creates employment for the organisers as they are paying themselves wages from their commercial venture but if you want to believe that there is not the slightest chance of this then I am not going to argue with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I think it's a bit expensive, but I have no problem paying it as I think it's a great event.

There is absolutely nothing stopping any of the begrudgers here setting up the Greater Limerick Run if they think they can do a better job.

If you have a problem with it, simply don't enter it.

I've done two runs in the past month - one in Castleconnell/Clonlara in aid of the Castleconnell Rowing Club, and one in Cratloe in aid of Bunratty Cratloe FC - they cost €20 and €15 respectively. While perhaps we didn't get as many goodies/tat as professionally organised races like the Great Limerick Run, I don't think people have a problem with this because they know the money is going to the fundraising cause.

Now for the shameless plug: Incidentally I'm going to try to raise funds for Headway Ireland when I run the Limerick Half and the Edinburgh Full Marathon next month, they have a premises on Steamboat Quay and do fantastic work for people who suffered Acquired Brain Injuries - you can throw them a few bob here if you like:

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/james_gaffneys_limerickhalf_edinburghfull

And for anyone who's looking for a run soon after the Great Limerick Run, there's a 5k one in aid of Pieta House on Saturday 12th May at 4.00am - something a bit different anyway!

http://dil.pieta.ie/Index.html

@Kess73 - does the Liverpool Marathon follow a similar route to the Liverpool Half? I did the latter a couple of years ago, very enjoyable but I remember the last leg was a long (5 mile?) stretch along the river - does the full one take this route too? That was tough enough to do at the end of a half, I'd say it would be more so at the end of a full one.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I think it's a bit expensive, but I have no problem paying it as I think it's a great event.

There is absolutely nothing stopping any of the begrudgers here setting up the Greater Limerick Run if they think they can do a better job.

If you have a problem with it, simply don't enter it.

I've done two runs in the past month - one in Castleconnell/Clonlara in aid of the Castleconnell Rowing Club, and one in Cratloe in aid of Bunratty Cratloe FC - they cost €20 and €15 respectively. While perhaps we didn't get as many goodies/tat as professionally organised races like the Great Limerick Run, I don't think people have a problem with this because they know the money is going to the fundraising cause.

Now for the shameless plug: Incidentally I'm going to try to raise funds for Headway Ireland when I run the Limerick Half and the Edinburgh Full Marathon next month, they have a premises on Steamboat Quay and do fantastic work for people who suffered Acquired Brain Injuries - you can throw them a few bob here if you like:

And for anyone who's looking for a run soon after the Great Limerick Run, there's a 5k one in aid of Pieta House on Saturday 12th May at 4.00am - something a bit different anyway!

Kess73 - does the Liverpool Marathon follow a similar route to the Liverpool Half? I did the latter a couple of years ago, very enjoyable but I remember the last leg was a long (5 mile?) stretch along the river - does the full one take this route too? That was tough enough to do at the end of a half, I'd say it would be more so at the end of a full one.

Here is this year's marathon course for ya.

http://www.runliverpoolmarathon.co.uk/images/Final-Race-Route-2.pdf

Some of it is the same as the half, but the half does not use the tunnel (a section of the marathon that really seperates the casual runners from the more serious runners) and the half does not go near the Wirral either.

The Marathon starts on the Wirral side of the Mersey whereas the half starts on the city side of the tunnel and heads towards Wapping dock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Cheers, looks like a nice route - did it go through the tunnel last year too?

Love the slogan too: The Long and Winding Road Race

• Advertisement

Cheers, looks like a nice route - did it go through the tunnel last year too?

Love the slogan too: The Long and Winding Road Race

Yeah it went through the tunnel last year as well. A lot of inexperienced runners put on a fair spurt of speed at the tunnel last year as it is downhill at the start of it. What they did not factor it was that as much as it goes down it comes back up again and is a fair uphill slope. :D A lot came out of that tunnel fairly tired and they still had more than 13 miles to go at that point.

It is a cracking marathon route though, one that has plenty along it to distract the mind in a good way, and the crowds are generally pretty big and really gee on any runner who looks to be struggling. The route was very well thought out and corners and turns are very runner friendly, as are the placement of any barriers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Did the Pieta house run last year, great event for a good cause but it's far more like a fun-run than a road-race. The Castle-Clon 10k was surprisingly tough, need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Yeah I've done 'Pieta' the past 2 years,well walked it last year as was injured. Thought it was short last year,didn't measure it but it didn't feel like 5k. However it was a wonderful event. I've been involved in mental health support with Grow,www.grow.ie as well as having had problems myself,so very meaningful.

Freiheit wrote: »
    Yeah I've done 'Pieta' the past 2 years,well walked it last year as was injured. Thought it was short last year,didn't measure it but it didn't feel like 5k. However it was a wonderful event. I've been involved in mental health support with Grow,www.grow.ie as well as having had problems myself,so very meaningful.

Yeah, I think the course was changed at a last minute last year. It's not the sort of race you enter for the distance anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

No,Amazo your right,first year it was at U.L as you probably remember,I found it very hard walking,having been used to running,but this year my knee is stronger,the odd twinge but good enough to run 5 and 10k. A real charity even for a great cause,very spiritual,very solemn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Does it have an AAI Permit and which athletic club signed it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm running for Headway too!!They're a great organisation to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

YFlyer wrote: »
    Does it have an AAI Permit and which athletic club signed it off?

admin@athleticsireland.ie would probably be able to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

Their office appears to be in the Tait Business Centre, which to my knowledge is a Shannon Development backed office centre for small startup businesses.

The fee of €60 looks expensive, but thats for the organisers to determine whats viable - I don't know what other races cost.

I had a look at google and the London marathon costs £35 (if your name gets pulled from the hat as its oversubscribed)

The fees are actually 70, 55 and 25 euro for the marathon, half marathon and 6 mile respectively. They also advertise for volunteers, in my view adding to the false impression that at least some of the money goes to charity.

The fees are actually 70, 55 and 25 euro for the marathon, half marathon and 6 mile respectively. They also advertise for volunteers, in my view adding to the false impression that at least some of the money goes to charity.

(I might regret this) What about that makes you think some of the money goes to charity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

(I might regret this) What about that makes you think some of the money goes to charity?
    Never argue with a fool, he will always beat you on experience, as an organiser of various events on a voluntary basis over the years you soon realise how many people thinks happen by "magic" , it just fell out of the sky.
    I have no involvement with the Great Limerick Run, but, as others have said,
    If you think it's a scam, call the cops
    If you think it is too expensive, hey, it's your wallet, keep your money in your pocket
    If you think you can do better, knock yourself out, get out from behind your keyboard, and do better.
    Otherwise STF up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Very well said jbkenn :D

- Just out of passing curiosity though, are they (still) pocketing grant money now that they are undoubtedly established and viable and is this ok in peoples reckoning?

There are thousands of volunteers going to assist with the London Olympics, it wouldn't make me think its a charity.

There are lots of volunteers recruited for things like the Irish open golf and it doesn't make me think its a charity.

Raiser wrote: »

- Just out of passing curiosity though, are they (still) pocketing grant money now that they are undoubtedly established and viable and is this ok in peoples reckoning?

The GAA, IRFU, FAI and many others get grant money all the time, so I don't see it as a problem, any of us can go and organise an event and apply for grant money - the system is there for everybody.

(Thats assuming they grant money worth worrying about)

Raiser wrote: »

This year they are one of 10 events that share a grant fund of €180k between them this year. Riverfest is another of those 10 events, and is also an event that makes profit for individuals.

So Riverfest must be "pocketing" the grants as well in your eyes. Maybe you should question if it is ok that Riverfest gets access to grant money as that is a viable and established event as well.

The information about the grants and who is getting them was broadcast on both national and local broadcasters in recent days so I find it odd that people actually have to ask about it as it is informatioon that is freely available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

jbkenn wrote: »
    Never argue with a fool, he will always beat you on experience, as an organiser of various events on a voluntary basis over the years you soon realise how many people thinks happen by "magic" , it just fell out of the sky.
    I have no involvement with the Great Limerick Run, but, as others have said,
    If you think it's a scam, call the cops
    If you think it is too expensive, hey, it's your wallet, keep your money in your pocket
    If you think you can do better, knock yourself out, get out from behind your keyboard, and do better.
    Otherwise STF up.
    Since I started this thread, I have been referred to as Thick, A fool and now finally to STF up. Why cant people have a civil debate on these forums without resorting to offensive name calling and telling people to STF up.My query from the outset was about the seemingly high entrants fees and an attempt to establish the reason. I have mentioned the subject to several people I know who are far from being thick or fools and they were also under the impression that at least some of the money must be going to charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Takkies1974

a grant of €30,000 was given to the orginisers of this years event by the limerick sports partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

a grant of €30,000 was given to the orginisers of this years event by the limerick sports partnership.

That's great news, shows that Limerick see value in having such an event organised in their city.

Failte Ireland gave the irish open €1,500,000 in killarney recently to pay prizes to pro golfers, if our local politicians could secure that kind of funding what kind event might the run become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for your input my newly registered friend, could it be that you are appalled by what you see going on in front of your very eyes and wish to blow your whistle?!?!

€30,000 for what though? - seems to me they could cover all of their very minimal costs via their relatively hefty registration fees?

- I mean in fairness, they didn't have to go out there and build the roads for this event did they? Truth is we paid for them through our many and varied taxes......

Advertisement