Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Music Practicals**

• 21-04-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Did it on Tuesday - went pretty well! YYZ by Rush, Mist by John Butler, Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits and Lagrima by Carcassi. I did technology aswell. Hard to believe it's worth the same as, say, HL Maths paper 1! Who else has it done/ yet to do?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Have mine on Thursday, should be grand :D Doing Technology and doing four acoustic pieces while singing! The pieces are:
    1. Little Lion Man- Ryan Sheridan's arrangement
    2. The Parting Glass- High Kings arrangement
    3. Damien Rice- Cannonball
    4. José Gonzalez- Heartbeats
    I used to gig regularly with my band and solo up until a few weeks ago so nerves won't really be an issue :p Need to get an A in the practical really because am hoping for A1/A2 in music. Just for curiosity's sake how many bars for music tech were you asked to input and what edits did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IndigoWings

Oh man, I have mine on Friday, the day after my French oral! :(

I'll be singing:

An Buachaillín Bán
    Secret Door - Evanescence
    Down Town - Petula Clark
    Can't Buy Me Love - The Beatles

Nice little mix... I'm not worried too much about the singing or the clapping thing, it's the computers part that's terrifying me! I had a mock last week and in the middle of a bar, Sibelius froze and threw in two bars of rests on another line :eek: I know how to undo it, but I think I'd freak out if it happened in the real thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Performed Che Faro Senza Euridice from Orfeo ed Euridice, Don't Rain On My Parade from Funny Girl, Bring Him Home from Les Misérables and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy. It all went really well, my Music teacher said so at least (she was accompanying me for Bring Him Home and Che Faro) and the sight clapping went well too.

There was one horrible thing though - the computer froze during Music Technology. It was absolutely mortifying! So we had to use a laptop and it was totally awkward and I got so frustrated half-way through because I wasn't used to a laptop (I actually thought I was going to cry, it was such a horrible experience) - and the computer wouldn't even sign in at first! I got everything right in the end, but the way to it was terrible and a little embarrassing.

Otherwise, I feel very happy with how I did - just Irish Orals to go now, and then I can get down to studying for all the written exams! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TIMR007ROX

JonnyMcNamee- I was asked to input about 7 bars each in my 4 part score, just notes, not even articulation or anything, and then changes to my already finished score, which were to the key, one instrument and rit. at the end. then just save and print basically :D RALE handy! No computer froze for me anyway, haha. Did it on Finale 2012. Well done and good luck you guys :) btw, what are most people in your class doing, eg. guitar?

Instead of clapping you should take the sight seeing if you're doing guitar, I got something really easy, about four chords, G, Am, Em, D7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

TIMR007ROX wrote: »
    Instead of clapping you should take the sight seeing if you're doing guitar, I got something really easy, about four chords, G, Am, Em, D7

I would have done this but was afraid there'd be a Bm, did you see a Bm on the page by any chance? :P

M&S* wrote: »
    I would have done this but was afraid there'd be a Bm, did you see a Bm on the page by any chance? :P
    Bm's not a hard chord if you have the hang of barre chords really?

JonnyMcNamee- I was asked to input about 7 bars each in my 4 part score, just notes, not even articulation or anything, and then changes to my already finished score, which were to the key, one instrument and rit. at the end. then just save and print basically :D RALE handy! No computer froze for me anyway, haha. Did it on Finale 2012. Well done and good luck you guys :) btw, what are most people in your class doing, eg. guitar?
    Ah grand so :p Computer freezing would be a nightmare :pac: I do music outside school so there's only two in my class. The other two girls are both playing piano :)

I think there was a Bm on it actually, I barre-d most of the chords anyway so it was the same shape as long as you knew the root:p Does anyone know how the marks are allocated, eg. is it on technical ability or performance, there was lads in my class who were playing saying 4 songs with just chords on guitar, surely it varies on skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 run_forest_run

Doing mine on Monday :/ Im doing 6 songs...
    1. O Mio Babbino Caro- Katherine Jenkins
    2.Landslide -Glee Version
    3.A-Team -Ed Sheeran
    4.On My Own -Les Mis
    5.Tell Me Its Not True- Blood Brothers
    6.Sounds Of Silence- Simon and Garfunkal
    really nervous now...any tips for me? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I think there was a Bm on it actually, I barre-d most of the chords anyway so it was the same shape as long as you knew the root:p Does anyone know how the marks are allocated, eg. is it on technical ability or performance, there was lads in my class who were playing saying 4 songs with just chords on guitar, surely it varies on skill?

This is the marking scheme thing! http://examinations.ie/exam/LC_Music_Practical_markscheme_Higher_and_Ordinary_Level.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

is anyone else nervous about the unseen test? I'm terrible at the clapping! also did anyone else hear its meant to be next to impossible to get full marks in the practical? this is what my teacher said but she tells us one thing one week, and something different the next! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Breifne72 wrote: »
    is anyone else nervous about the unseen test? I'm terrible at the clapping! also did anyone else hear its meant to be next to impossible to get full marks in the practical? this is what my teacher said but she tells us one thing one week, and something different the next! :rolleyes:
    Are you doing Rhythm sight-clapping? It's ridiculously easy this year, nothing like last year with the quaver rests and shiz!

Are you doing Rhythm sight-clapping? It's ridiculously easy this year, nothing like last year with the quaver rests and shiz!

yea i think so, i didnt even know we had to do it until last week when she announced it in class! is it the same for the whole country or what :confused:

yea i think so, i didnt even know we had to do it until last week when she announced it in class! is it the same for the whole country or what :confused:
    Im exactly the same :p Should be grand though with a bit of practice I hope!

the nerves are startin to kick in now though, seriously struggling to keep the inputtin to under 15 minutes:eek:

We actually have been practising them since like November! :P

We actually have been practising them since like November! :P

wel that makes me feel better.. not :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭rainbow66666

My music practical is in a few days i have everything ready, all my 6 tracks, as for the unprepared side of the practical i plan to do the sight reading on acoustic guitar............my knowledge of chords is fine i know all normal chords most of them in minor, all 7th's and few majors......any tips on some chords i should deffinitely know that would be tricky?

Also on a side note im playing bass and one of my baking tracks is fierworks by katy perry (yes i know but its for diversity) i was wondering wa the original trakc fine to use? since the bass sound in it is just a synth

My music practical is in a few days i have everything ready, all my 6 tracks, as for the unprepared side of the practical i plan to do the sight reading on acoustic guitar............my knowledge of chords is fine i know all normal chords most of them in minor, all 7th's and few majors......any tips on some chords i should deffinitely know that would be tricky?

Also on a side note im playing bass and one of my baking tracks is fierworks by katy perry (yes i know but its for diversity) i was wondering wa the original trakc fine to use? since the bass sound in it is just a synth
    My Friends told me something about Power Chords on the guitar were on the Sight-reading? No clue what they are but that's what was said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭rainbow66666

My Friends told me something about Power Chords on the guitar were on the Sight-reading? No clue what they are but that's what was said!

well i guess if a chord came up you didnt know then you could just play a power chord since it would have the root note but, im just wondering what main chords i should know such a Bm or Am etc :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭lolabearxx

1) granite
    2) pink panther
    3) barcarolle
    4) house of elliott

all on clarinet! please PLEASE help:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

how many bars did most people have to do in their tech piece!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

checkcheek wrote: »

How is everyone's sightreading (violin flute or recorder cause i think they are all the same list)

No strange keys? I've mine tomorrow, more worried about the nerves, any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

ChemHickey wrote: »
    How is everyone's sightreading (violin flute or recorder cause i think they are all the same list)

I know you'll have had it done but if you could tell us about the sightreading for the higher/medium register or whatever that'd be great. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

checkcheek wrote: »

Well i'm doing a string quartet so I did 8 bars for the top line, 6 for the second, and then I think it was 6 and 5 for the 3rd and 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

M&S* wrote: »
    ChemHickey wrote: »

I know you'll have had it done but if you could tell us about the sightreading for the higher/medium register or whatever that'd be great. :)

Hey, i got it for higher (violin) was SIMPLE! the rhythm I got was just crotchets and a minum, with quaver start and a dotted crotchet then!

practical went class! i think i got an a1( i hope anyway as i thought i sayw her sheet) i really hope i did! it's the one subject I was really worried for! but don't worry! sightreading was great and from what I saw, no bad keys (number 3 was bflat i think but number 2, the one i got was in gmajor)

also, she stopped me loads! in 4 out of the 6 pieces around half way! She wanted to get to lunch so for one of my pieces I was playing for about a minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Had mine last week. ****ed up so badly, completely ruined my chances of getting the grade I needed buttttt not much I can do now I spose.
    I did 50% technology and made a backing track - your song -and played along with the guiter. Wasnt in time on the day and played a wrong chord.
    Then, she didnt even look at the folder I had prepared but asked me the most AWKWARD questions instead - while the person that was pressing play on the cd player for me was still in the room, so was very put off.
    Then for inputting the two pieces I didnt know she would only ask me to to 3 lines so that put me off and I lost my place a few times. And then for the edits I never explained them, she didnt ask so I just kinda forgot.
    50% down the drain. Yay.

Oh, funnily enough though the clapping went the best, even though the school bell went off halfway through, and I could not do it for the life of me up untill then. Odd. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

Hey

I did 4 songs and technology. During my technology, i didnt realise when i was transpoing it from Bb major to C major that it went down the octave.. It was out of the range for a descant recorder then but it still played fine.. Do u think ill loose many marks for this?? :P Really kicking myself!!

• Advertisement

Practical went class, the examiner was really into my pieces and asked about what sort of musical background I had outside the LC i.e bands, solo playing etc. Wished me good luck with my career and complimented my voice :pac: Technology was great she only asked me like 7 bars of the first instrument and about four of the other three! Fúcked up one of the bars for the Sightreading but apart than that couldn't have went better!

Advertisement