Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiberno English

• 21-04-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Doing a bit of ESL teaching at the moment and I have to constantly check how I speak, here are some of the things I catch myself saying:

"Yer man", "Yer one" - the first is obviously male, but how is "one" female?
    "Amn't I only after showing yiz!" what the hell tense is this?!
    "Amn't" - a contraction that only we Irish use apparently
    "Yous" (as in more than one 'you')
    "I does be watching the tv..." ok I don't use this one but I've heard people saying it, it's present continous I'm guessing...

So AH post up your favourite examples.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Spore wrote: »
    "I does be watching the tv..." ok I don't use this one but I've heard people saying it, it's present continous I'm guessing...
    "I do be watching...", surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

B1tches be crazy:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i don't what this is called or if there's even a name for it but most people would say for example "I am freezing" but some dubs say "Freezing I am".
    another "I am hungry" vs "Hungry I am"

what's that about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Doing a bit of ESL teaching at the moment and I have to constantly check how I speak, here are some of the things I catch myself saying:

Maybe you aint cut out for that line of work.
    Teaching Dubs to speak culchie...maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i don't what this is called or if there's even a name for it but most people would say for example "I am freezing" but some dubs say "Freezing I am".
    another "I am hungry" vs "Hungry I am"

what's that about

Jedi-Irish descendants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The lack of yes/no answers - and rather responding to the question with the verb used.

Did you? I did / I didn't

Are you? I am / I'm not

That comes from Irish which has no words for yes or no, and uses the same way to respond to questions with the verb that was used in the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

yisser dog shyted in me garden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Its called talking like a pirate and Irish people do it by sheer instinct, once again reinforcing the brilliance that is Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Know Noel,no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ye wouldnt pass me smokes = would you pass me my smokes

never really got that one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

"Lookit!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Let's not forget the slang for teenaged girls. That even made it as far as Hollywood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

"I'm only after gone to the shop and now you want me to go again"
    also when I was in the states the people over there could'nt get over me saying "it's half ten" when saying its 10.30, not sure if thats an Irish thing, maybe the brits say it to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

yer oul wans a geebag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

"I'm only after gone to the shop and now you want me to go again"

Táim díreach tar éis blah a dhéanamh (I'm just after doing blah).. I'd say that's from Irish too.

micropig wrote: »
    B1tches be crazy:pac:

for real yo

dlofnep wrote: »
    Táim díreach tar éis blah a dhéanamh (I'm just after doing blah).. I'd say that's from Irish too.

At least the blah bit is clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It drives me off the head, instead if it drives me off my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Gewan ya mad cúnt ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

dlofnep wrote: »

A good old Waterford Blaa. . .
    Nach ea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I'm only here for the crack. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

To be "after" doing something derives directly from Irish. For example, "tá mé tar éis an dinnéir" meaning "I am after the dinner", or in plain Queens English, "I have just had my dinner".

I love the way Irish has influenced how we approach and speak English. It's unique. Hiberno-English should be cherished and be allowed to flourish, not corrected!!

The Scots and Welsh have borrowings from their own languages too which they use when speaking English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

"I used to go / do / whatever ..."

Directly lifted from the gnathchaite (habitual past tense) in Irish, and still often to be heard in the normal vocabulary of people whose great-great-grandparents were the last of the family to speak Irish as a first language.

Such a useful tense too; English is the poorer for its lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

"I used to go / do / whatever ..."

Directly lifted from the gnathchaite (habitual past tense) in Irish, and still often to be heard in the normal vocabulary of people whose great-great-grandparents were the last of the family to speak Irish as a first language.

Such a useful tense too; English is the poorer for its lack.

Apparently a few people outside Ireland also use this unique tense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

That's not Hiberno English, that's shit English. Don't 'teach' shit English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All these little phrases and bits lifted from Irish get us a lot of attention abroad. The accent is part of it, but it's also the way we say things.
    Too many people moan about or neglect the English language, too few realise how much we've made it our own.

The English may have invented the language, but we gave it grace. (forgotten who said that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Apparently a few people outside Ireland also use this unique tense.
    I never said the habitual past tense was unique to Irish; most linguists seem to agree that it came to be used in Hiberno-English from the Irish (unsurprisingly enough).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

humbert wrote: »
    That's not Hiberno English, that's shit English. Don't 'teach' shit English.

Did I say anything about teaching this "shit" English? I said in my original post that I catch myself saying these things, meaning I don't actually say them. Maybe you're just a "shit" reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Stall it/Ehh'!

I do be calling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

'Yoke' meaning thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Me moth

I heard it comes from maith, as in Culchie for "the girl I like", something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

44leto wrote: »
    Me moth

I heard it comes from maith, as in Culchie for "the girl I like", something like that.
    Maith an cailín

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My mother uses the word do all over the place.

I do eat fish on a Friday.
    I do do the shopping in dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

"You'll not be doing that
    "Frath then I will"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

44leto wrote: »
    Me moth

It might be from Irish I dunno, though growing up I heard it always with a hard T. "Me mot". Some claims for roots in Irish I'm a bit dubious about. EG "Mom" claimed to be from the Irish pronunciation. The thing is I never heard "Mom" a la American pronunciation until the early 90's even among proto DART accents. Mum, ma, or mam yea. IMH it's influenced (certainly in Dublin) by American English.
    grenache wrote:
    I love the way Irish has influenced how we approach and speak English. It's unique. Hiberno-English should be cherished and be allowed to flourish, not corrected!!
    +1. It's certainly way better than the mid Atlantic nasally twang heard more frequently these days. One cool one is "devil a bit" from the Irish for none/nothing IIRC? Sleeveen another. Gobshíte has both Irish and English. Shít mouth. :D Other influences are from older English. The aforementioned "amn't" being one of them. Press for cupboard and Shore for a drain. Maybe even some French going on in the case of sliced pan for bread(Pain = bread in French). Ones you hear rarely today in Dublin would be Bowler for a dog or chiseler for a kid, bowsie seems to be rarely heard too. Even when talking about languages themselves we do it. IE "he has no French" Again from the Irish. Goes the other way too. The English country gent asking for brogues in a shop, is describing the shoes as Gaelige. If later he has a whiskey he's doing it again. If he's a Tory supporter he's doing it again. Tory = Outlaw IIRC. I'd say some Conservatives would shíte a brick at that one. :D All over the world when people ask the time the reply is it's x o'clock. Clock(cloch) is the Irish word for bell. From the bells that rang to sound out the time from monasteries and churches(they were the first to have clocks in any numbers). The word "car" is an old Irish/Celtic word. Gluastain(fast thing) was an invented word because car sounded too "English". They didn't realise the origin at the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

grenache wrote: »

Can't believe I'm thanking your post after us butting heads last night! :D But anyway, +1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's a fairly close equivalent in regular English = the present perfect with just, i.e. "I have just shown you".

I'm also an English teacher and I don't worry about dropping Irishisms into my classes. A lot of my students are ecstatic that they have a teacher who's first language is English so they want to hear how it is spoken by native speakers. The way we speak English here may be a bit different from how it is in England but it's a variant of native English and it's equally valid as other forms.

In other languages, there's plenty of grammatical mistakes made by native speakers but they've slipped into everyday speech and nobody gets worked up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

"Of a Saturday", emm quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

also when I was in the states the people over there could'nt get over me saying "it's half ten" when saying its 10.30, not sure if thats an Irish thing, maybe the brits say it to
    It would come from the Germanic with a slight change.
    In German and Dutch "Halp zehn" and "Half tien" (literally half ten) mean half nine, they say half to the hour, whereas English uses half past the hour.

It would come from the Germanic with a slight change.
    In German and Dutch "Halp zehn" and "Half tien" (literally half ten) mean half nine, they say half to the hour, whereas English uses half past the hour.

in denmark/finland etc they all use "half" for to- the hour as well.
    I am starting to think that using it for past the hour is unusual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

bluewolf wrote: »
    in denmark/finland etc they all use "half" for to- the hour as well.
    I am starting to think that using it for past the hour is unusual
    I always wondered where the change actually came from, but since the Latin languages also use "Half past"/"and a half" I guessed it must have come from the French/Latin influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

One of the weirdest ones for me is the case inflections of Old English are still in some Hiberno-English speech.
    Both my parents' families say "childers" for children when talking about possession. For example:

The children are outside

but

That's the childers dinner.

Unsurprising since childer is the original genitive plural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

"Well"
    "Well"
    "Are ya well?"
    "Yeah well"

That's how we do things in Tipp :cool:

Not sure if it qualifies but the French people I've met don't quite get me when I say I'm "taking the car for a spin"
    They hear spin and think spin, silly French :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

This might be a little off the point but anyway. It's been suggested that the word didgeridoo is derived from irish. 'Dudaire dubh', dudaire being smoker, puffer, piper, and dubh black. Aboriginal languages don't use the word didigeridoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Used to love hearing "craythur" in the South West (Kerry region mostly) as in "ah the poor craythur" I think craythur stands for "creature". Used to hear it on a daily basis in Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Craythur in Kerry
    Creature in Middle England
    Critter in the good ol' US of A

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've heard craythur in Dubin and Waterford too. Maybe they were blow ins :)

The other one again from the Irish is the sometime lack of a direct yes/no. "Are you well?" "I am". "Is it raining?" "It is". "Sea" in Irish sounds odd to me("Ta" sounds really odd. Kind of a lonely word hanging in the breeze). It sounds more like an agreement with another person in the convo, rather than a definitive "yes", if you know what I mean? When I've heard it in convo between native Irish speaking folks that's what it came across as anyway. Like a conversational lubricant, the way some English speakers use "right" in response to the other person. Probably not explaining that one well. :o Native Irish speakers to the rescue. :) Latin doesn't have a yes/no either(IIRC neither does ancient Greek), so it seems to be a Germanic/English languages invention? Well (older)english has the "aye" convo lubricant one, but has the extra definite "Yes" too. I wonder is "nay" the negative version of that, with no being the definite?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Spread wrote: »
    Craythur in Kerry
    Creature in Middle England
    Critter in the good ol' US of A
    Food in Arkansas.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

use of Craytur is pretty common is scotland too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I heard country folk refer to cattle as "beasts" or "beyasts"

But to be fair me a Dub didn't know what the monsters where.

• Advertisement
Advertisement