Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiberno English

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

"yee" instead of "you"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Arrah sher..

What is the direct meaning of that? As in I know how to use it but I don't know how to translate it into English English.

I would consider my accent to be quite neutral, but when I went to Australia I found this not to be the case. In a supermarket during my first few days there I asked where the butter was. Cue a puzzled look from the shop assistant, repeating the word was no use, eventually said 'You know, the yellow stuff you spread on toast.', to which the reply was 'Ohhhh, Budda!! It's over there..'

Fukin' Australians..

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

a bit like how the engish cannot pronounce the word SIXTH - the word is SIXTH - not SICK. :rolleyes:

Surely you mean Sixt - as we do seem to have a problem alright in pronouncing the TH when is should be there and then putting it there when its not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

AEDIC wrote: »
    Surely you mean Sixt - as we do seem to have a problem alright in pronouncing the TH when is should be there and then putting it there when its not :D

i've never heard anyone in England say sickth but heard plenty here say sixt.

one that winds me up is "buhher", it's butter goddammit!

and as for "sahurday".....

Also, why do I hear so many irish people calling their children nathan when they can't even pronounce it??? It's not Naytn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

summerskin wrote: »
    i've never heard anyone in England say sickth

Lots of them do. You'd hear it often on BBC. Find it irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Enkidu wrote:
    As for ignorance or laziness, I am always surprised by these kind of comments. What would ignorance mean in this circumstance? Why do English speakers "muck up" the traditional Germanic strong verb inflection system, is it due ignorance or laziness?
    english did not come from that tpe of german....
    It did, as the whole Germanic family had strong verb inflections, English still does in some cases (sing, sang). That type of Germanic is all of Germanic.

Lots of them do. You'd hear it often on BBC. Find it irritating.

That'd explain it, must be southerners. I try to avoid hearing them wherever possible, ten years living in London can have that effect on a northern lad. never heard it said when I lived there though, other than by West Indian people, who also say Axe instead of Ask.

skregs wrote: »
    watch the inbetweeners and everytime they mention "sixth form" they say sicked form. I don't know any specific instances off the top of my head, but I'll see if I can find any

again, southerners.

the scourge of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'm off to do a bit of 'Scutting ' on the back of an articulated lorry .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

summerskin wrote: »
    i've never heard anyone in England say sickth but heard plenty here say sixt.

one that winds me up is "buhher", it's butter goddammit!

and as for "sahurday".....

Also, why do I hear so many irish people calling their children nathan when they can't even pronounce it??? It's not Naytn...

listen to any english news, matches, current affairs. none of them know how to pronounce the word. Its a relatively new thing - five years ago it was plain ould "sixth" with them. Now they just sound like idiots talking about someone that is "sick":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

It would come from the Germanic with a slight change.
    In German and Dutch "Halp zehn" and "Half tien" (literally half ten) mean half nine, they say half to the hour, whereas English uses half past the hour.

Pretty much the same in Spanish,

We say 9:45 as "quarter to 10", in Spanish its "son las diez menos quarto" i.e. "10 minus a quarter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same in Spanish,

We say 9:45 as "quarter to 10", in Spanish its "son las diez menos quarto" i.e. "10 minus a quarter"
    After the half hour yea, but 10:30 is "diez y media" (ten and a half), they wouldn't say "half to eleven" like ze Germanians.

I would consider my accent to be quite neutral, but when I went to Australia I found this not to be the case.
    That's because there's no such thing as a "neutral" accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

El Weirdo wrote: »
    "I do be watching...", surely?

No - "I do da be..." The da is key, you see...

Also: Lawrd av mercin on 'um!" (Lord have mercy on them), reserved for funerals and other such tragedies. Usually heard coming from an aul' one.

And "tel'pis!" (skanger abreviation for God Help Us and always purely rhetorical - they always stop after 'us' or rather 'iss').
    Quite the fashionable statement to make.

"Willuuugh" (will you! / will you?) - used by angry skangs in a raucous tone of voice as it sounds quite agressive and therefore is effective.

"mon'ill'uuugh!" (come on will you). See above for defintion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I can't stand Kathleen Lynch's voice, accent & the way she speaks.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Just noticed this from reading a thread where someone posted up pictures, referring to the cinema. Does this come from a direct translation of the Irish "pictiúrlann"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

micropig wrote: »
    B1tches be crazy:pac:

They'se be trippin' yo'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Gerrowa and Geroff. As in Gerrowa da Garden or Geroff that Wall.

Also 'Hostibal' as in 'Hostibal ball.'

Advertisement