Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pottinger mex harvesters

• 21-04-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Im thinking of buying a harvester at the moment i know the JF are a great machine but im also lookinf at the pottinger mex 6 harvesters,does anyone know are these a good reliable machine and what are the good/bad points of them..and is there much of a differance between the mex 4,5,and 6..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i think its hard to beat the mengele. there are established a long time now and have a good name built. easy to repair too.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

i think its hard to beat the mengele. there are established a long time now and have a good name built. easy to repair too.
    Oh right i dont know anything bout them but ill look into it,there is a few for sale around alrit,is it hard to get parts for them though who would have them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Contractor near me uses mex 6 for the last 20+ yrs. Not the same one obviously but has stuck with them. I know some bought mex4 and 5 because of seeing the 6 working so well but i don't think it goes as good as the 6. As long as you have the power go for the 6. He used to have 140hp but is now about 200hp on it.
    I think they don't cope as well as a jf when a foreign object goes in to them.

dasheriff wrote: »
    Oh right i dont know anything bout them but ill look into it,there is a few for sale around alrit,is it hard to get parts for them though who would have them..

parts should be easy to get as there still made today but through the lely brand. i know any parts i need cork farm machines have or can get them in stock.

parts should be easy to get as there still made today but through the lely brand. i know any parts i need cork farm machines have or can get them in stock.

ah right very good,and what size of a tractor do you need to pull them and what size of a swarth could you lift with one,thanks.

• Advertisement

st1979 wrote: »
    Contractor near me uses mex 6 for the last 20+ yrs. Not the same one obviously but has stuck with them. I know some bought mex4 and 5 because of seeing the 6 working so well but i don't think it goes as good as the 6. As long as you have the power go for the 6. He used to have 140hp but is now about 200hp on it.
    I think they don't cope as well as a jf when a foreign object goes in to them.

Thanks st the most i have at the moment is 140hp alright so maybe ill stay looking at the JF and the mengele so sur..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I think 140 hp would be ok for a mex6. Thats all the contractor had years ago and was picking up nearly 40 acres in a good day with 10' swarths. Now picking up 20' with closer to 200hp. Definitely worth looking at. Pottinger and jf are the only 2 trailed harvesters working around here. Never seen a mengle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E12t7HqY4A

heres a mengele being used with a 140hp tractor. id say 140 hp should drive any trailed silage harvestor in a 10 foot swarth. its all mengeles down by side so thats why i recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kk_man

Have a mex5 just finished its 23rd season. very good reliable machine. Started out withb a ford 6610 driving it( i know its hard to believe) then a nh7740 and now we have a Ts125a on it. Do around 300 acres give or take a year. Never any trouble. if looked after will do a lot of work.Biggest bill was when I picked up a socket bar. I think it cost 2500. Have bought a mex 6 for this year. I,d stay away from a mex 5 as they are too old and all worn out. Even a good 6 will be hard to find and you'll pay good money for one. They are the only machines around here

Advertisement