Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coleslaw Recipe (close to superquinn!)

Options
  • 21-04-2012 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi all, just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for homemade coleslaw, im living in canda and miss superquinn coleslaw, but so far my attempts while tasty, have not been anywhere close!

Any help / advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Thought I'd bump this one. Here's what I do, ends up pretty close to SQ's stuff:

Shred white cabbage and carrot in a food processor (I use about 2:1 cabbage to carrot)

Add mayonaisse (I use low fat Hellmans)

Add whole cream to taste (this is what gets it like SQ coleslaw)

Pinch of salt

Mix together and serve

Takes about 3 minutes, but absolutely delicious in a crusty roll with slice smoked ham

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

guerito wrote: »
    Thought I'd bump this one. Here's what I do, ends up pretty close to SQ's stuff:

Shred white cabbage and carrot in a food processor (I use about 2:1 cabbage to carrot)

Add mayonaisse (I use low fat Hellmans)

Add whole cream to taste (this is what gets it like SQ coleslaw)

Pinch of salt

Mix together and serve

Takes about 3 minutes, but absolutely delicious in a crusty roll with slice smoked ham
    No Onion?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

I agree with cjhaughey onion is necessary in coleslaw also pepper as well as salt. I also add garlic,but then again Im a garlic lover and put it in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

I'm not sure what superquinn coleslaw is like, but since i started making this recipe I know I haven wanted to buy any shop made version so I thought id share it.

Veg
    2 Large Carrots
    Equal amount of Celeriac
    Half Onion
    Chopped parsley (optional)

Dressing
    2 heaped Tbls Mayonnaise
    I heaped tps English mustard
    Juice of half a lemon
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Using the coarse grater attachment on a food processor, grate the veg and transfer to a bowl.
    In a separate bowl, mix the dressing ingredients, adding a little more lemon juice or mustard according to your taste.

Add the dressing to the grated veg and combine, add a little more mayonnaise if you think its too dry.Finally add the chopped parsley if using.

Sits happily in the fridge, covered with cling film for up to three days.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Whiteflag12

Add whole grain mustard, works a treat. U won't want superquinn coleslaw again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My Mrs. makes the World's Best Coleslaw, even better than SQ. :)

And the recipe is simple - chopped white cabbage, chopped white onion, grated carrot and mayonnaise. That's all. Chopping the veg by hand gives a chunkier coleslaw.

Very simple and very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Very simple and very nice.

The Mrs or the Coleslaw? :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

In superquinn they used to use a mixture of two different types of mayonnaise. They used a salad mayonnaise which is a thin and vinegary mayonnaise and an extra-thick mayonnaise, which is very thick and creamy.

Gueritos recipe would be the closest but add some onion. Low fat mayo can be a bit mild starchy so try find a vinegary normal mayo.
    It would be hard to copy the extra thick mayo if you were making it from scratch as it is made using starches to thicken it. Cream would be the closest you would get creaminess wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Yeah I love onion and mustard in coleslaw (and soy sauce and paprika and plenty else), but I grew up on the SQ stuff and adding onion just makes it taste like their low-fat stuff (which I hate, despite me using low fat mayo)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Add whole grain mustard, works a treat. U won't want superquinn coleslaw again!

I tried as suggested and it was a delight! I'm never buying coleslaw again, ever.

This gave us 4 servings:

1/4 white cabbage, julienned
    1 medium carrot, julienned
    2 spring onions, sliced thinly
    1 serving spoon of Hellman's full fat mayo
    A splash of cream
    1 tsp of Maille wholegrain mustard
    Season to taste

Although there's cream in this, it doesn't drown the veg like most shop bought coleslaw do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    1/4 white cabbage, julienned
    1 medium carrot, julienned

Quit with your fancy talkin', will ya? What does this mean? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Quit with your fancy talkin', will ya? What does this mean? :)

Chopped up into little sticks, a bit like this:

julienned+carrots.JPG

Advertisement