Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland will be kicking every ball with the team this summer

• 21-04-2012 4:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Man this guy does have issues. I might, I won't, I might, I won't........so none the wiser but at least he shows some interest. A bit of progress there I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,084 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Feck him.

Didn't want to know when Ireland weren't qualifying for things, now him and his bloody girlfriend won't shut up.

"No, you're not coming, get over yourself".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

0:28...

''Maybe after the Euro's, I can review and see what happens.''

1:08...

''I don't want to add to the speculation of it.''

Fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can we just have one Stephen Ireland thread instead of all these ones where the same people come in saying how much they hate him?

I don't hate him at all.

But I think if he really wants to get back into the Ireland fold, then he should accept he isn't going to the Euro's, and then make himself available for the WC2014 qualifiers and try his best from there to make himself a must have player.

Then I'll forgive him;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't hate him at all.

But I think if he really wants to get back into the Ireland fold, then he should accept he isn't going to the Euro's, and then make himself available for the WC2014 qualifiers and try his best from there to make himself a must have player.

Then I'll forgive him;)
    when had he said he wants to go to the euros?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

He can fuck off tbh.

when had he said he wants to go to the euros?

He hasn't.

But why do you suddenly think him and the missus are all over the media for the last couple of months?

Doesn't take a genius ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Dear Stephen Ireland (oh the irony in that surname), would you please politely f*ck off and take your silly opinions with you. You are neither wanted nor needed. You're a poor excuse for a Corkonian and an even poorer excuse for an Irishman. Goodbye and good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

NIMAN wrote: »
    He hasn't.

But why do you suddenly think him and the missus are all over the media for the last couple of months?

Doesn't take a genius ....

hes in the media because the media go to him looking for quotes and comments on this every single time an international game comes up, or they have an excuse to dig something out

he answers them the same time every time. nothing has changed in the last few years

yet every single time hes in the paper people are up in arms saying he said this or he said that

if the media didnt stop asking the lad the same questions over and over again every time they interview him, there wouldnt be anything to write about. but then all you have to do is stick his name in a headline and you'll get a rise from the rabble

Who you calling a rabble?:p

The amount of Mr & Mrs Ireland in the media has definitely been much more than normal.

You believe what you want, that the media are hounding the poor lad and forcing him to give interviews. Has he never heard of "No"?

But the realists among us know how these professional footballers work. Its all about them, them, them. And their public profile.

Ireland has realised the error of his ways, and especially now since his country have made it to a major tournament, he and his agent/publicist know that if he started the slow and steady crawl back, he is a better midfielder than most that are currently getting a side, and he might just be picked in front of them, and hence boost his image, his saleability, his commercial worth etc. Of course Trap will see through this.

Ireland, the country, has the chance to get loads of attention in June, and Ireland, the player, wants a bit of it since his club career has not taken off as he had hoped, with him rotting away at a club that has no ambition and will strive to be midtable every season til he retires. A good spell with Ireland and he might just get a move back to a better club side.

Call me cynical if you want, but I'm not half as cynical as Mr Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

More than welcome back after the Euro's, has to earn a spot like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Taking the obvious emotion out of it - we have to be honest with ourselves, he's a far better player than Glenn Whelan so we should be jumping at getting him back if that's an option. However, he would be last in line behind McCarthy, Gibson (who has greatly improved since joining everton) and mcclean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

grenache wrote: »
    You're a poor excuse for a Corkonian

Hardly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

s8n wrote: »
    Taking the obvious emotion out of it - we have to be honest with ourselves, he's a far better player than Glenn Whelan

They are completely different styles of player, I don't know how you could say one is better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Even if he did come back I doubt he'd improve the current Ireland XI in the way that we currently play.

Now if there's any decent exiled centre-backs out there I'm sure Trap will be eager to hear from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

His style of play wouldn't suit Traps game. I don't see whats changed for Stephen, he was complaining before about Trap disrespecting him by taking calls while he visited him. The chap seems a tad unstable if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

More than welcome back after the Euro's,

Is he fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Ah not this tripe again!

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Ah not this tripe again!

Well it has been a week since the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

He's not good enough tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

So......Following the debacle of the last 3 games - Would you have him back ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Doesn't fit into Trap's system.

A midfield of Gibson, McCarthy, Ireland would be pretty useful imo.

McClean and McGeady wide, with Long up top.

Decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Potentially yes but he needs a consistent start to next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think if hes in form for Villa then he needs to be in our squad, when hes on form he can be quality and thats something we lack in spades.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Potentially yes but he needs a consistent start to next season.

the love is fading.

:(

Des wrote: »
    the love is fading.

I'd love more than anyone to see him recreate 2007.

But my blind faith has been spectacularly wrong in the past.

I'd love more than anyone to see him recreate 2007.

But my blind faith has been spectacularly wrong in the past.

but I bet if I posted the picture of him in the car with the pink trims you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Whereas in the past you were waiting to pounce on anyone who dared to even think about that picture.

as I said.

Des wrote: »
    but I bet if I posted the picture of him in the car with the pink trims you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Whereas in the past you were waiting to pounce on anyone who dared to even think about that picture.

as I said.

Of course, sure I'm your typical fickle Sky Sports junkie. Doesn't play for us anymore = waster.

Of course, sure I'm your typical fickle Sky Sports junkie. Doesn't play for us anymore = waster.

Save Our Steven!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Euros are over.

I think if he wants to come back and try to get in the team again, he should be allowed to try.

He's 25 now, and has probably done alot of growing up since his last international stint. He's not the first person to fcuk up in his younger years.

I still don't think it'll happen though. He was exceptional 4- years ago.

He can come back, but only if I can shout "Stephen!" repeatedly during games at random points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think if he makes himself available for the WC qualifiers he should be considered, as been said , he was a young guy in the public eye who made a f#ck of things

And anyways, we are not in a position to turn away decent center mids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

probably our most talented player
    we need him back if he has got his head sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

grenache wrote: »
    You are neither wanted nor needed.

not wanted - yes thats true.

not needed - considering our 3rd choice midfielder was paul green, you are wrong here, he is needed, badly.

i think he is a clown and all the rest, but we do need him, especially given his return to form last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Supposedly one of the chants at the Euro's was

"Alive alive ohoh, alive alive ohoh, Stephen Irelands two grannies, aliiiivve alive oh!!"

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

If Stephen Ireland wants to come back why wouldnt we consider him for selection? There is no need for apologies to Trap as he did not pull anything on Trap. I'd be shocked if it happened but why would we turn away a good player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

He did well enough last season, POTY and all that, although results wise it was the worst Villa team in a generation. Credit must go to him for salvaging his Villa career after a nightmare debut season and playing ok under the tyranny that was Alex McLeish.

He did show a reasonable enough defensive side to his game last season, but I don't think it would be enough for him to be included in a Trap 442.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I would have him back in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

He should just get a transplant like Rooney - all the rage these days.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    we need him back if he has got his head sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Supposedly one of the chants at the Euro's was

"Alive alive ohoh, alive alive ohoh, Stephen Irelands two grannies, aliiiivve alive oh!!"

Brilliant.

hilarious. do people forget he used the granny excuse to try to divert attention away from the fact that his wife had just had a miscarriage and they didn't want the media getting involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not his biggest fan, but yes I would have him back.

Christ if Paul Green can get a game against Spain then its time to turn bridges.

Advertisement