Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when was the last time you were in the city centre

• 21-04-2012 5:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I drove through the city centre the other night and saw the new lamp thingys that they have put all along William St. I have to say it looks very nice, I had heard about them, seen pictures of them but had never seen them in person before. It got me thinking when was the last time I was in the city centre, and I honestly can't remember.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

bout a week ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

5/6 Days a week but then again I work there, even if I didnt work there i would be in and out of town a lot because my mam's house is near St John's Cathedral.

Its such a shame to see it getting quieter and quieter all the time. The improvements on William Street and it seems a few of the shops themselves along that street are making an effort to tidy up their own shop fronts.

Also a few weeks ago I heard of an upcoming initiative/marketing strategy for the clothes shops in Roches Street/Catherine Street, which if it works will be a great way to push that side of the city. This is the brainchild of one the shop owners and as far as I know she has gotten most the shops on board.

In my opinion the centre itself needs to be marketed with a unique selling point and tied together, to be marketed. Empty shop units need if they can't be filled at least need to be tidied up, maybe local teenagers could do some art. Patrick street needs to be sorted.

Free parking is not an excuse, the last few times I was in Galway/Cork at the weekends I saw no free parking but loads of shoppers weighed down with actual shopping bags.

Where I work is very busy, but our customer base is basically the 'suits' - solicitors, accountants etc, and we are surrounded by them thanks to our location, but it would be great for the city to have genuine foot traffic from monday to friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

aside from nights out, I go in once or twice a month, dont really have a reason to aside from easons and my doctors everything else is out in the crescent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I only live in Corbally but can go weeks without venturing into the city centre, i work Saturdays so even the market isn't a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Most days. I live near enough plus I don't drive, so I enjoy the stroll around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Go into Limerick city to buy something once a week, and that is to Foxes Bow. Could not tell you the last time I went I actually walked on William street, Cruises street etc to go to a shop to buy something.

Simple fact for me that when it comes to buying anything I can get what I want elsewhere when often I cannot get the same items in Limerick city or when I can get the same item it turns out to be far more expensive than getting it online. Also I am back in the UK a lot (flying back there from Cork tonight as a matter of fact:D) so I often pick up stuff there and bring it back with me.

If I do want something local the Crescent Shopping centre is nearby and it on it's own has a better range of products than the entire city centre combined despite the SC being a small to medium sized SC.

Availability and price. Not enough of the former and too much of the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I was in there last Saturday. Only reason for going into town now is a browse around Easons, my favourite shop, and a stroll around the market. I usually leave the car at home and take the bus in and walk home or vice versa. Occasionally have a coffee if I meet a friend but for shopping, clothes etc. it's the Crescent or Parkway or Harvey Norman etc.

I no longer regard the city centre as anything other than a place for a stroll or browse.

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I work in the city centre so go in at least 3 or 4 times a week.
    Last time in town would have been Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

This morning, went for wander, its quite busy + lovely day with sunshine.
    Live within walking distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I go about once a month,otherwise just when im there for a few pints

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

two/three weeks ago. I tried to buy a cover for my Kindle, and - surprise! surprise! - not even ONE shop had them. Easons had ONE generic sleeve and that was it. Sure enough I won't be wasting my time next time I'll be looking to do some shopping. I live within a walking distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    two/three weeks ago. I tried to buy a cover for my Kindle, and - surprise! surprise! - not even ONE shop had them. Easons had ONE generic sleeve and that was it. Sure enough I won't be wasting my time next time I'll be looking to do some shopping. I live within a walking distance.

Argos and Tesco have (or used to have) them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

Currys on William St have loads. Sorry for the OT.

Was there today - was busy enough tbh. Good to see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Where is this city centre ye speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

maybe they have it now, I was kinda dissapointed I couldn't get them back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Was in the market today, nice ol buzz around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

2 hours ago, only passing through on the bus though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Rarely go in to do anything apart from pints. Live near the Crescent SC so everything I need is close at hand. Probably two months since I've been on O'Connell street during the day.

bucks73 wrote: »
    Rarely go in to do anything apart from pints. Live near the Crescent SC so everything I need is close at hand. Probably two months since I've been on O'Connell street during the day.

I have only been to the crescent about ten times in total, I live on childers road and it takes two buses to get there - or a nice long walk with a wee one in tow!! I would imagine I am one of few though.
    I know drive but still wouldn't head to the crescent, I suppose it's because it not in my radar

See I'm the opposite - live near the SC but try and avoid it if possible. Always go into the city centre to shop - you can't compare a SC to the vibe of a city with more variety, cafes, small shops, not just highstreet stores. Each to their own though.

• Advertisement

See I'm the opposite - live near the SC but try and avoid it if possible. Always go into the city centre to shop - you can't compare a SC to the vibe of a city with more variety, cafes, small shops, not just highstreet stores. Each to theri own though.

The few times I have been to the crescent I have found that I know my way round without having been there often - bland!!! Yet even though our city center is on it knees it still has that ever-changing factor - which is also important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

See I'm the opposite - live near the SC but try and avoid it if possible. Always go into the city centre to shop - you can't compare a SC to the vibe of a city with more variety, cafes, small shops, not just highstreet stores. Each to theri own though.
    Birdie086 wrote: »
    The few times I have been to the crescent I have found that I know my way round without having been there often - bland!!! Yet even though our city center is on it knees it still has that ever-changing factor - which is also important

Its not like Im walking around or browsing in the SC, its straight in, get what I need and gone. Usually its just Tesco and the bank and out again so not worried about atmosphere. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

today, I'm usually in at least 3 times time a week and some weeks 4 :p

Its not like Im walking around or browsing in the SC, its straight in, get what I need and gone. Usually its just Tesco and the bank and out again so not worried about atmosphere. :D

Well I pop into Tesco too, in the sense that I don't walt into town for a pint of milk :) But I meant that lots of people do seem to spend a whole day out shopping in the crescent 'with the family' - I find that mad to be honest! Go for a walk or the playground or the hunt museum or something instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I work there, so every day Monday to Friday, usually go into town on Saturdays and Sundays too. Saying that I passed through Cork city centre yesterday afternoon and there was a great buzz there for a Sunday, would be great to replicate it here. Riverfest should be brilliant though, hopefully the sun will make its usual appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Monday to Friday for work and actually moving into an apt. on top of Henry st. So imagine I'll be strolling down over weekends too.

Love the city centre to be honest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Last saturday purely because i wanted a pair of shoes in river deep, last time before that was about 3 months ago. I'm almost a 15 min walk from town but see no reason to go in there apart from river deep. Tried to go in there a few evenings to get something to eat but found it impossible to find a place to park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Last saturday purely because i wanted a pair of shoes in river deep, last time before that was about 3 months ago. I'm almost a 15 min walk from town but see no reason to go in there apart from river deep. Tried to go in there a few evenings to get something to eat but found it impossible to find a place to park.

You could have saved yourself the hassle and got a taxi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Or walked! :P

Advertisement