Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight restriction vw transporter t5 lwb: 240 bottles wine

• 21-04-2012 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi there
    gonna bring back 240 bottles of wine from france:
    would that be bad for a 2007 lwb vw transporter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

No, Transporter would be well able for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

The payload capacity should be close to a ton, your load would be half that at most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Having done many a wine run to France I can tell you a normal bottle of wine weighs a fraction over 1 kilo and a bottle of bubley 1.5 kilo. 240 bottles weighs about 19 stone, same as two slim ladies and will fit in a normal hatch or estate, with seats down. You could easily double or treble what you're bringing back with that van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Hi there
    Might be better running it on diesel tbh

NWPat wrote: »
    .......... a normal bottle of wine weighs a fraction over 1 kilo ............. 240 bottles weighs about 19 stone.........

240kgs is a lot (double ish) more than 19 stone, I can just about bench press 19 stone, I wouldn't be able to budge 240kg off the rests.

Those two slim ladies you know are fat lieing b1tches !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

NWPat wrote: »
    Having done many a wine run to France I can tell you a normal bottle of wine weighs a fraction over 1 kilo and a bottle of bubley 1.5 kilo. 240 bottles weighs about 19 stone, same as two slim ladies and will fit in a normal hatch or estate, with seats down. You could easily double or treble what you're bringing back with that van.

what kind of slim ladies do you know:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

RoverJames wrote: »
    I can just about bench press 19 stone, I wouldn't be able to budge 240kg off the rests.

You're a stronger man than I had you pictured! :D

I literally mean just about though, as in two of them, maybe three at most. I wouldn't be doing reps of 120kgs or anything.

Anyway, OP, that weight would be grand in the van, no bother at all to it, most cars would take it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Still a fair lift 120kg, I'd struggle with 100.

OP should be more than fine, i'd double the haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hi there

Can you let us know how you get on.

I'd be interested to see if Customs will ask you to prove that the wine is for personal use or not.

Goods bought in another EU country

You will not be charged any extra duty or VAT on purchases where the duty and VAT has been paid (for example, goods bought in shops, supermarkets, etc.) in another EU country, provided the goods are for your personal use.

If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities set out in the table below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use.

Alcohol and tobacco allowances for travellers to Ireland from EU
    Goods

Maximum quantity allowed

Spirits (whiskey, vodka, gin, etc.) - 10 litres
    Intermediate Products (e.g. sherry, port, etc., excluding sparkling wine) - 20 litres
    Wine (only 60 litres of sparkling wine allowed) - 90 litres
    Beer - 110 litres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi there

Whatever about the van being able to carry it. You'd want to make sure it's secured well.

All that lovely wine flooding out the back if you have to brake/swerve hard:(
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    Can you let us know how you get on.

I'd be interested to see if Customs will ask you to prove that the wine is for personal use or not.

Goods bought in another EU country

You will not be charged any extra duty or VAT on purchases where the duty and VAT has been paid (for example, goods bought in shops, supermarkets, etc.) in another EU country, provided the goods are for your personal use.

If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities set out in the table below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use.

Alcohol and tobacco allowances for travellers to Ireland from EU
    Goods

Maximum quantity allowed

Spirits (whiskey, vodka, gin, etc.) - 10 litres
    Intermediate Products (e.g. sherry, port, etc., excluding sparkling wine) - 20 litres
    Wine (only 60 litres of sparkling wine allowed) - 90 litres
    Beer - 110 litres

This is about HMRC but I'd assume it's relevant to Ireland. Assuming the OP isn't on their own they may be under the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Good point - 2 travellers (assuming both over 18) would mean 180 litres no questions asked.

Which turns out to be 240 x 750mL bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

how do you demonstrate that they are for personal use if you have more? drink them all in the one go there at the checkpoint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Used to do regular runs to France in the 90s. Five up (me sober, passengers hammered :rolleyes:) in a LR station wagon, the back crammed full of booze on the way back with the springs on the bump stops :D

Never got any attention then, not sure I'd get away with it now. Not worth it so much these days in the UK at least with heavy supermarket discounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

RoverJames wrote: »
    240kgs is a lot (double ish) more than 19 stone, I can just about bench press 19 stone, I wouldn't be able to budge 240kg off the rests.

Those two slim ladies you know are fat lieing b1tches !!!

yeah, sorry about that its actually double my origional calculation(I usually bring back 120 bottles in car), 38 stone, 4 slimish ladies.

Advertisement