Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revocable Living Trusts in Ireland?

• 21-04-2012 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Are there such things as revocable living trusts in Irish estate planning? Are there online sites that provide consumer information on estate planning issues? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jasonpat

Its important to have online site for the trust where they can show their expenses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

GearMaven wrote: »
    Are there such things as revocable living trusts in Irish estate planning? Are there online sites that provide consumer information on estate planning issues? Thanks.

It is virtually impossible to successfully DIY anything like that. There is a Society of Trust and Estate practitioners and they are the foremost lawyers in their respective jursidictions. A poorly chosen phrase can mean the difference between achieving what was intended or have something radically different happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

Excuse me? Those were the most convoluted answers I've ever read. Could I have that again in English, please?

I simply asked if there was such an instrument as a "revocable living trust" used in Irish estate planning? That's a simple yes or no.

I have no interest in DIYing anything. Just interested in learning more about what is possible in Irish estate planning. A more educated consumer of law, medicine, etc., has a better and safer experience with any "experts."

Anyone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

I simply asked if there was such an instrument as a "revocable living trust" used in Irish estate planning? That's a simple yes or no.
    If that is the case why did you ask about websites for consumers?
    I have no interest in DIYing anything. Just interested in learning more about what is possible in Irish estate planning. A more educated consumer of law, medicine, etc., has a better and safer experience with any "experts."

Anyone else?

Are there any consumers sites for heart surgery? or brain surgery?
    In any case this is a discussion forum, not a short cut for people who are too lazy to go to a library and get a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

Kosseegan wrote: »
    If that is the case why did you ask about websites for consumers?
    Because my query contained two (2) questions. That was the second.
    Kosseegan wrote: »
    Are there any consumers sites for heart surgery? or brain surgery?
    Yes of course there are; you're not seriously telling me that you do not know of the thousands of consumer sites throughout the internet based in the US and around the world where consumers/patients/doctors can discuss their experiences with all manner of medical tests, surgeries, diagnoses, etc., some sponsored by medical schools, medical institutions or just public forums (e.g., MedicineNet, WebMD, UCSF, and on and on)? We can educate ourselves about every aspect of our medical care, getting more up-to-date information than one might find in a library book published several years ago (not that I neglect libraries when near one; they're wonderful for their purposes).

There are also thousands of sites, at least in the US, through which one can discuss every aspect of US legal issues about which a consumer may have questions. Nolo.com is one of them, plus nearly every major law firm in the US has a resource section on their website which provides basic information to consumers and/or potential clients about legal instruments, legal planning, legal issues, etc. The US ones, however, have limited information on Irish estate planning except for saying that US living trusts are usually respected in the EEC for US citizens. I'm trying to find out information (while I am IN the US) for an elderly relative resident in Ireland.

If you posed a question such as mine as a visitor to a US forum, I would be more than happy to provide you with a long list of the most respected forums/websites for such information and to discuss my experiences with such. My problem is that I have not been able to find such sites dealing with Irish law. That is why I turned to a forum on this issue in hopes that those more familiar with Irish legal websites and issues might be able to direct me to such a site where I could gather further information.

So I'll ask for those that are happy to "discuss" this with me to respond and others might ignore my questions. Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement