Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coconut or grapeseed oil for weak hair

• 21-04-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

My hair is in bad condition, I have ordered the redken extreme range but recently read about the benefits for grapeseed and coconut oil for dry, damaged, weakened hair. I was just wondering which would be better? I have seen extra virgin coconut oil in superquinn, would this be the correct one? It just seems much cheaper than health food shops? From what I have read, you put heated oil in dry hair, a then shampoo but don't use conditioner. Or should I use conditioner? Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've used coconut oil and despite the marvellous reports on it I found it no use at all. What I did find excellent was VO5 Hot Oil treatments. They were completely transformative. Whenever I see it now I buy a stock of it. I'm not sure I'd bother with coconut oil if I was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭lisa_eire

i havent used the grapeseed oil but big fan of coconut. i find it has improved the condition of my dry damaged hair (long time blond highlights) and that my hair is less frizzy. i bought it in boots, leave it in overnight once a week and shampoo and condition as per normal afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Shauna16

I've tried coconut oil but havnt found it any good.. I've used nearly everything at this stage and found Joico and Kerastase products are the only things that worked for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I just tried out coconut oil today. Put it on dry hair for 30 mins washed hair twice with my shampoo, did the cat spray and uses conditioner. Hay to say hair defo feels softer. But will know tomorrow if anyone notices at work !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've seen coconut oil recommended so many times on this forum so I'm going to give it a shot. My hair is thin and dry but also gets greasy quite quickly, basically it needs some TLC.

How exactly should you apply the coconut oil? How much do you use? Do you apply it just to the roots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

if you hair is greasy dont apply it to the roots! it come in a solid form in the jar so you can melt it by the heat of your hands or a table spoon or two into a cup and melt it in the microwave, concentrate more towards the mid lengths and ends of your hair, i have realy dry hair, thats suffering from regular dying and a ghd addiction:P i found it really helped, hair was a lot softer and less flyaways and less frizzy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Thanks for the advice :) Do you buy it in health food stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

gillapino wrote: »
    if you hair is greasy dont apply it to the roots! it come in a solid form in the jar so you can melt it by the heat of your hands or a table spoon or two into a cup and melt it in the microwave, concentrate more towards the mid lengths and ends of your hair, i have realy dry hair, thats suffering from regular dying and a ghd addiction:P i found it really helped, hair was a lot softer and less flyaways and less frizzy:)
    You need the good stuff...extra virgin coconut oil, which gillapino mentioned comes as a white solid. No point in using an inferior version if you want to reap the benefits. You can heat in in the microwave and it'll go to a clear liquid which you can use pretty much anywhere. Put some on your face and steam with a face cloth, use as a moisturiser...even add it to your food.

Advertisement