Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food poisoning

Options
  • 21-04-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi All,

I purchased a pack of 4 steak and kidney pies from a certain supermarket chain. They were a week in date. I cooked 2 the other night. After about 2.5 hours I didn't feel the best and went to bed. A further 2 hours later I started getting violently sick, headaches, chills, fever. Diarhera. I informed the shop straight away and also the food safety authority . I have 2 pies left. where could I get these independently tested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Moved to Consumer Issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Hi All,

I purchased a pack of 4 steak and kidney pies from a certain supermarket chain. They were a week in date. I cooked 2 the other night. After about 2.5 hours I didn't feel the best and went to bed. A further 2 hours later I started getting violently sick, headaches, chills, fever. Diarhera. I informed the shop straight away and also the food safety authority . I have 2 pies left. where could I get these independently tested?

FSAI would be your best option and you have already contacted them.

One problem is the question of how well you cooked them, was oven at correct temp, how long was it from time of purchase to time put back to fridge.
    The 2 left over pies should at least provide some answers but unless there is any permanent harm to yourself, I wouldn't go to the expense of getting them independently tested, but maybe ask the FSAI if they could check it out.

It might also be wise to call the manufacturer and give them the batch number, so that they can check things their end. - No-one in the food business wants to make customers ill and they will be quite happy to talk to you and try and resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Did you eat only the 2 pies and nothing else around the same time or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭solarplexus

All I ate on thursday was weetabix that morning and a packet of peanuts at lunchtime with sparkling water... I only ate the pies on their own. Followed the 'cook from frozen' instruction to the letter. We've had them numerous times before and not a problem so I'm used to cooking them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I don't think it is the only the pies you need to get tested.

I think you should have got a stool sample tested to indicate whether the bug that causes food poisoning is present.

What did your doctor say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Get onto the health board for your area.

This is going to be more difficult to prove than you think. Environmental health will test the pies, but it could also have been someone not washing their hands, either the manufactures, or yourself. What did you have with pies? Salad? Salad can contain listeria.....

It could be cross contamination in your kitchen or theirs.

It could be the pies defrosted somewhere in the "chain", manufacturer to shop, shop to house, etc etc etc, then refrozen.

Are the pies in perfect shape, is the pastry in perfect condition? Are the pies malformed at all (this is a sign of defrost and refreeze).

The only way this will go anywhere is to get on to the health board quickly, as previously mentioned, you may have to give a stool sample.

I don't think it is the only the pies you need to get tested.

I think you should have got a stool sample tested to indicate whether the bug that causes food poisoning is present.

What did your doctor say?

Well its been 5 days since i first got sick and I have consumed about 2 slices of toast. I still have nausa, muscle pains. My doctor said that it is very probable that my illness came from the pies as the only other thing I'd eaten that day was weetabix and peanuts. The day before , my partner ate what I ate. He didn't have the pies I had. I only had them on their own. I have informed the FSAI and also the supermarket I bought the produce from.

my doctor said the frequency at which i was getting sick (every 10 minutes for seven hours) suggests food poisioning

So what did the FSAI say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

Well its been 5 days since i first got sick and I have consumed about 2 slices of toast. I still have nausa, muscle pains. My doctor said that it is very probable that my illness came from the pies as the only other thing I'd eaten that day was weetabix and peanuts. The day before , my partner ate what I ate. He didn't have the pies I had. I only had them on their own. I have informed the FSAI and also the supermarket I bought the produce from.

my doctor said the frequency at which i was getting sick (every 10 minutes for seven hours) suggests food poisioning

just to add , by the sounds of it , it wasnt those pies .
    iv been ill the past 2 weeks with those symptoms , turns out their is a viral thing going about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

My sister was convinced she had food poisoning from a hot dog she had eaten - severe vomiting and diarrhoea.

Half a day later my other sister left work sick - had to get off the bus to vomit.

A day later I was laid up with the same bug.

My sister still can't eat hot dogs even though that was not the cause of the sickness!!!

It will be apparent if it is the pies if more people (not connected to you) contact the authorities due to sickness after eating the pies.

What tests has your doctor done to test it is food poisoning?

• Advertisement

My sister was convinced she had food poisoning from a hot dog she had eaten - severe vomiting and diarrhoea.

Half a day later my other sister left work sick - had to get off the bus to vomit.

A day later I was laid up with the same bug.

My sister still can't eat hot dogs even though that was not the cause of the sickness!!!

It will be apparent if it is the pies if more people (not connected to you) contact the authorities due to sickness after eating the pies.

What tests has your doctor done to test it is food poisoning?

Getting back to myself now thank god. My doctor didn't' take stool samples... he said I was dehydrated but sure I knew that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To be honest it could have been the pies but proving it is neigh on impossible. At this stage reporting it and recovering and moving on is as much as you can do.

gpf101 wrote: »
    To be honest it could have been the pies but proving it is neigh on impossible. At this stage reporting it and recovering and moving on is as much as you can do.

I kind of agree with you there. In cases like this, you rely on "an outbreak", if one person comes down ill, mmmmm, if twenty people come down ill, then you have something to go on.

Did the FSAI say anything?

Advertisement