Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hail + Soot = Carpet,Help

• 21-04-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals,

Huge hail shower just before I got home last night, the garden and roof looked like they were covered in snow.

Anyway what I discovered later was that the hailstones flew down the chimney, bounced off the hearth, and landed on the carpet, some a few feet from the fire.
    Then the ice melted and I am left with the soot picked up on the way down, the carpet looks like it has 200 cigarette burns.
    So herself is away for the weekend and I don't want to appear a complete idiot about household cleaning and need to tackle this today.

So i'm looking for a consensus here, I can't try every suggestion, or I will wreck the carpet.

So from the usual mix of household products, I think they are kept under the sink, and in the utility, what do you suggest.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Various websites suggest sprinkling baking soda or similar absorbent powder to soak up the soot, leave dry for an hour or so then vacuum (don't use a beater head, just suction). Should lift a good bit of the stain.
    For God's sake (and your's) don't rub the stain, that'll only spread it and push it further into the fibres.

The next step might involve a proper clean with a carpet cleaner / steam cleaner.

PS : keep a fire guard in place even when the fire's not lit.

Advertisement