Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a womb ? Surrogacy, ladies would you do it ?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, surrogacy seems to be a hot topic at the moment.

Ladies, in these recessionary times would you consider becoming a surrogate mother ?

Kill two birds at the one time, help a couple to have a child and cover your "expenses" at the same time ?

Is it something you would have never considered doing during the boom ?

Would you be more open to doing it now considering money is tight ?

If you were to do it, would you do it for a family member only or would you do it for anybody ?

If you were to do it, would it be for a hetrosexual couple only, or would you do it for gay/lesbian couples, or even a single person ?

Poll : You can vote for more than one option.

Would you consider becoming a surrogate mother ? 61 votes

Yes, I would.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but only for a family member.
    26% 16 votes
    No, I would never consider doing this.
    21% 13 votes
    Yes I would, but only for a hetrosexual couple.
    50% 31 votes
    Yes I would, but not for a single person.
    1% 1 vote
    Atari baby.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Renting is dead money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Fcuk no, never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Satts wrote: »
    =

Kill two birds at the one time, help a couple to have a child and cover your "expenses" at the same time ?

How is covering expenses killing anything? and why ''expenses''?

No, I couldn't do it. I wouldn't be able to get over a biological child of mine existing without having any information about its health, no say in its life, living conditions, upbringing or education.

If a couple couldn't have a child I'd point them to the millions of children already in existence around the world who desperately need parents and encourage them to explore international adoption.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I can offer natural insemination if you're good looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No. I would donate an egg but actually have the baby? No way, that's a huge ask of someone not just physically but emotionally as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Renting is dead money.

It certainly is if the child was still born!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Giselle wrote: »
    No, I couldn't do it. I wouldn't be able to get over a biological child of mine existing without having any information about its health, no say in its life, living conditions, upbringing or education.
    I think you misunderstand surrogacy, an embryo from the 'natural' mother can be inserted into the carrier/surrogate - so the child wouldn't be genetically related to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They'd need to be paid a crap load of money to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

a friend of mine was a surrogate mother. she didnt know the couple before.
    She got €20000 for it.
    i thought she would be scarred by it but its the opposite. she is happy that she helped a couple have a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

I'd do it.

I have no aversion to pregnancy, but I'm really not too pushed about having children of my own (I'm 27 now; I do accept that this might change in the future.)

If I had an accidental pregnancy now, I wouldn't have an abortion, but I would very likely give the child for adoption. I guess that being a surrogate would be similar - except that I'd get paid for it! :cool:

I do like babies, and if I were pregnant, I'd do everything I possibly could to look after the baby, while it was in me! But motherhood is just not something I'm ready for, right now. So I'd much rather see the baby go to a home where it's wanted.

I'm not an overly emotional person. While I'd probably care about the baby, to some extent, I just don't think that I'd think of it too much once it was out of me. And, if I did, I'd just be happy that it was living a good happy life with a loving family. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I can offer natural insemination if you're good looking.

*Bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand surrogacy, an embryo from the 'natural' mother can be inserted into the carrier/surrogate - so the child wouldn't be genetically related to you.

That is referred to as a gestational carrier.

Typically a surrogate uses her own eggs, more often than being used simply to carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kaner2004 wrote: »

Did she have kids already?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Giselle wrote: »
    That is referred to as a gestational carrier.

Typically a surrogate uses her own eggs, more often than being used simply to carry.
    I've always associated it with carrying an already fertilised egg from another female - guess that must be the biologist in me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

20000 seems alright if you are doing nothing else. I was reading recently that a lot of American forces spouses do this while the hubby is away warring.

Maybe the hubby insists, a 21st century chastity belt..LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Confab wrote: »
    Did she have kids already?

she has 2 kids.
    i may be inaccurate here but i think they way it worked was that the fathers sperm was used and her own egg fertilized.

in addition to the 20k, medical bills etc were paid for too. like tests before the process begins to see if she was suitable and then after care too.
    she could have backed out at any stage, but the father would have had normal fathers rights. theres a contract and stuff drawn up and its all done through some agency, which i cant remember the name of. im sure there is more than one.

i didnt pry too much beyond this, but i understand its very common. i used to think it was rare.

She lives in Newry and the couple live in Dublin - i know it matters which countries both are from and where the child is brought up etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hell no, but I have a very high aversion to getting pregnant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm pretty torn. I'd like to think I'd do it for my sister, but I think I would struggle very hard having to hand over the baby at the end. You really do bond with those little beggars as they kick you in the bladder.

I would love to think I'd be that selfless, but in reality I would be too emotionally attached to any baby I had carried for nine months. So no, but I would have a lot of respect for anyone who did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I asked my OH would she ever think of being a surrogate mother, her reply was 'no fcuking way'
    Kaner2004 wrote: »
    She got €20000 for it.
    i thought she would be scarred by it but its the opposite. she is happy that she helped a couple have a baby.

Then the above post (20 big ones) completly changed her mind, women eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Personally, the financial side would be of little relevance to me, the emotional and physical aspects of carrying someone else's baby would be far more important when making a decision on surrogacy.

I find the focus on finance in the op to be bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yeah, why not.

Feeona wrote: »
    Personally, the financial side would be of little relevance to me, the emotional and physical aspects of carrying someone else's baby would be far more important when making a decision on surrogacy.

I find the focus on finance in the op to be bizarre!

But your body is just a host, the egg does not contain any of your DNA, I know it is not that simple, but on paper it is.

They should do this with pigs, you could "probably" breath a pig to be surrogates to human infants.

I was the first, man pig.

stovelid wrote: »
    Yeah, why not.

Your very easy generous with your womb Mr stovelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

44leto wrote: »
    But your body is just a host, the egg does not contain any of your DNA, I know it is not that simple, but on paper it is.

Yeah that's what yer wan said in Alien and look what happened to her :eek:

Feeona wrote: »
    Yeah that's what yer wan said in Alien and look what happened to her :eek:

LOL
    Yer man Ridley Scott actually portrayed that John Hurt scene as a birth sequence, but a an alien instead of a baby.

It was meant to make it more shocking for the male audience, it did to.

I still say the pig is a great idea. No stretch marks, the hubby not having to turn up at the birth, no flowers and no more hearing about women moaning about the sleight inconvenience of child birth.

I shall take ny idea to the Dragons den.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

44leto wrote: »
    LOL
    Yer man Ridley Scott actually portrayed that John Hurt scene as a birth sequence, but a an alien instead of a baby.

It was meant to make it more shocking for the male audience, it did to.

I still say the pig is a great idea. No stretch marks, the hubby not having to turn up at the birth, no flowers and no more hearing about women moaning about the sleight inconvenience of child birth.

I shall take ny idea to the Dragons den.

The pig idea won't work. A baby in the womb needs to be interacted with. There have been a few kids born from women in comas and they've all been ****ed up/not 'human' enough.

I'd do it, but only for my sister say. And I don't really consider 20k a lot of money considering what you go though for 9 months. Not the physical side so much, but the emotional investment. I could only do it for a baby that would still be around, I can't imagine giving birth to a child and then never seeing it again, that would tear the heart out of you. We are not meant to give our children away. Fair play to the women who could do that, but I wouldn't be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Mr

A mere trifling detail.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    A mere trifling detail.

Your a miss? :eek: I have no idea why but I always thought you were a man.

Advertisement