Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland - How to find your account number and branch sort code

• 21-04-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I'm filling out a form which requires my bank details. There are 2 fields I'm unsure of, first one is "Current Account Number" and the second one is "Branch Sort Code". I have my bank card here and there are 2 fields with the right number of digits, theres my 8 digit "CARD NUMBER" and a 2-2-2 digit "CODE NUMBER". This is probably a stupid question since the number of digits match perfectly but I just want to be 100% sure I'm entering the right info into this form.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The six digit is your sort code it will start with 90 for boi. But be careful your card number is NOT your account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Cheers. I was thinking of going ahead and entering the card number into the account number field. Glad I started this thread. Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,459 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Account number will be an eight digit number, it will be on your statements and transaction slips, not on your card, but may be on ATM slips.

Sorting codes tend to be in the format of 90-99-99, but may simply be given as 909999.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Yeah I found the account number on my last bank statement. What exactly is the branch sort code? Is it a unique ID number a bank assigns to each of its branches or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

BogMonkey wrote: »
    Yeah I found the account number on my last bank statement. What exactly is the branch sort code? Is it a unique ID number a bank assigns to each of its branches or something?

exactly. Your branch you opened your current account will have its own sort code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Hey, I've looked everywhere for my account number and can't find it, the receipt slip I got from the bank today after make a withdrawal only gives me my last 4 digits, the first 4 are just *. Anywhere else I can get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hey, I've looked everywhere for my account number and can't find it, the receipt slip I got from the bank today after make a withdrawal only gives me my last 4 digits, the first 4 are just *. Anywhere else I can get it?

Any statement you get for the account will have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

my sort code is on the bottom of my atm card/ laser card its located on the bottom left and has code number underneath it

like this

90-XX-XX
    code number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

my sort code is on the bottom of my atm card/ laser card its located on the bottom left and has code number underneath it

He's looking for the a/c number, not the sort code. You can get the sort code for any bank branch by going to the bank's website and click on 'branch locator' or similar link.

If you have a chequebook, the a/c number is the eight digit number at the bottom of each cheque, it will also be clearly displayed on your statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I'm a girl ... :P
    I don't have a chequebook and I don't get statements, I'm only a student. I don't have a c/c, just an ATM card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm a girl ... :P
    I don't have a chequebook and I don't get statements, I'm only a student. I don't have a c/c, just an ATM card.

Apologies for the gender mixup. You may have to go to an ATM and ask for a balance enquiry or do some other non-cash transaction in the hope that it shows you your a/c number.

Or phone them on 0818 365 365 and ask them, they will ask you some security questions but with the card in your hand they should be able to give you the details. That's assuming you're BOI.

If you're on a mobile package with bundled talk minutes, call them on 01 404 4000 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RyanQuinn4312

I set up an online banking but I dont know which is my user id or 6 digit pin, what is the 6 digit pin they made me make, I made it with bank of ireland

Advertisement