Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler 2 years old - poss lactose intolerant

Options
  • 21-04-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

How to test her or just feed her non dairy?

Symptoms - bloated tummy and she has the runs since we can remember.

To date She is usually fed full fat milk.

The penny just dropped today, well I think I thought it before and I was told it couldnt be as logically how can a baby mammal be lactose intollerant ? Maybe I'm wrong but I could be right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

As I understand it, there are different kinds of lactose. For example, even though human milk has lactose in it, if the mother is not consuming cows milk (dairy) then even a lactose intolerant infant will not have any trouble tolerating the breast milk.

Basically, when someone is referred to as 'lactose intolerant' they are referring to an intolerance to cow lactose, and not human lactose. Lactose intolerance is actually quite rare, but if you are concerned, talk to your doctor. Personally, I wouldn't make such a major change to her diet without doing that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my daughter had no signs of lactose intolerance until she got a tummy bug at 1 and then could not tolerate milk or formula for a year, we tried her every 6 - 8 wks to see until it was ok. she was fine with cheese and yogs tho.
    if she is constantly 'runny' then perhaps it is worth removing milk, it would be a few days before we saw any chance and then after we gave her even a finger of milk she would be in bits again.
    talk to your gp and see what they think

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

It could be that she is not tolerating a protein in cows milk. Often get's confused with lactose intolerance. Maybe try her on a different type of milk. Goats Soya or rice. For us the rice milk is the one that causes the least fuss.

Advertisement