Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peanut/Nut free kitchens

Options
  • 21-04-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

My girlfriend just developed a nut allergy so she's pretty sketchy about going to restaurants in the city now.Does anyone know of restaurants/delis etc in town that are safe for people with this allergy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

drum! wrote: »
    My girlfriend just developed a nut allergy so she's pretty sketchy about going to restaurants in the city now.Does anyone know of restaurants/delis etc in town that are safe for people with this allergy?

I must say I feel very sorry for her, peanuts are a wonderful ingredient and they make up a large proportion of a lot of dishes. I cant say offhand where, but I know a lot say if they have or not. Make sure to point out her nut allergy if ordering and they will be very sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

bensweeney wrote: »
    I must say I feel very sorry for her, peanuts are a wonderful ingredient and they make up a large proportion of a lot of dishes..

??

Maybe Thai/Eastern food, but I'd say there's plenty to have with local cuisine, fish dishes, Italian etc that wouldn't ever use peanut or peanut oil as an ingredient. Da Roberta's, Rouge, The Dáil even come to mind as cuisine that typically wouldn't have in most dishes, but always ask.

Do point out the seriousness of the allergy OP as restaurants listen more to allergy requests than thinking you 'don't like it' and 'ah sure they won't notice a bit'..
    A good chef wouldn't ever do that though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Cheers lads.I've had a pretty serious allergy most of my life so we're well used to checking with chefs etc.From what i know about nut allergies, it is simply not enough to ask a chef to not prepare food using anything with nut or nut oil, it also must be prepared on a counter/pan/pot/utensil that has not come into contact with nut ingredients. The only place we've heard of that is good for this is one of the cafe's up in NUIG, Moffats i think.

Milano is pretty good for indicating what is nut free on their menus but there's also a warning that the food may have come into contact with nut ingredients at some stage during prep.I'm worried that this is a warning we'll get in nearly every place in the city and there's no way my g/f will take the risk if we're given that warning.

So, really what i'm hoping for is someone with the same allergy who has found a way to successfully eat out in Galway without nearly dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Milano is pretty good for indicating what is nut free on their menus but there's also a warning that the food may have come into contact with nut ingredients at some stage during prep.I'm worried that this is a warning we'll get in nearly every place in the city and there's no way my g/f will take the risk if we're given that warning.

So, really what i'm hoping for is someone with the same allergy who has found a way to successfully eat out in Galway without nearly dying.

I have the same nut allergy myself but it's worth noting that not all people allergic to nuts are as severe as that. No body knows why it is. Your girlfriends doctor should be able to tell her the severity of her allergy and kit her out with an Epi pen (a must!). As regards your original question, establishments that have been more than understanding are : La Salsa (Especially the one on Mary St), Gourmet Tart Company, and Scottys. Scottys particularly. It's worth noting that nobody will guarantee you anything nut free because they couldn't deal with the liability on the off chance someone had a reaction. To be honest if your girlfriend hasn't been kitted out with an epi pen yet I'd make that her first priority because it should help her to know she has a back up plan.

She's had two reactions so far and she's been told that they will get worse everytime she has one.She'll be getting her epipen tomorrow. I understand no one will give a "this food is completely safe" statement but how do you manage it yourself eating out in this city? In the places you've mentioned, are you reasonably comfortable that when you state your allergy in those places that you'll be ok or do you avoid eating out in Galway because of your allergy?

• Advertisement

She's had two reactions so far and she's been told that they will get worse everytime she has one.She'll be getting her epipen tomorrow. I understand no one will give a "this food is completely safe" statement but how do you manage it yourself eating out in this city? In the places you've mentioned, are you reasonably comfortable that when you state your allergy in those places that you'll be ok or do you avoid eating out in Galway because of your allergy?

Yeah they will definitely get worse so it's important she doesn't eat anywhere she's uncomfortable or worried about. I always say it to the waitress but I always make sure to use the words 'can you make sure the chef knows I cannot have any nuts in my food as I am severely allergic'. Scottys is where I would be the most comfortable because the chef assured me himself, and now they know me. I've had a few experiences where I've asked the server to make it clear to the chef and they've given half arsed responses and I've just walked out. To be honest, I think as long as you avoid thai/indian food you will be ok. It's an ever growing allergy so people are starting to take it seriously. I eat out whenever budget allows and can honestly say I've never had major issue. Any restaurant worth their salt should take every effort to ensure you're safe and satisfied and if they don't I wouldn't be giving them my business tbh.

That's really helpful Carol, thank you.She'll be going to an immunologist soon so hopefully she'll only be diagnosed with a tree-nut allergy (what we suspect) and not a peanut allergy which might make things a little easier. Do you request to talk to chefs directly rather than going through servers in Galway?Is that a request that is easily fulfilled in this town or does it piss people off?Do you call ahead before eating anywhere new?

That's really helpful Carol, thank you.She'll be going to an immunologist soon so hopefully she'll only be diagnosed with a tree-nut allergy (what we suspect) and not a peanut allergy which might make things a little easier. Do you request to talk to chefs directly rather than going through servers in Galway?Is that a request that is easily fulfilled in this town or does it piss people off?Do you call ahead before eating anywhere new?

I often scout out menus on their websites to be honest. Sometimes I have asked to talk to chefs directly, other times I haven't to be honest it just depends on the vibe I get from staff. I've been in the situation where the staff make excuse as to why I can't speak to the chef or management and tbh I wouldn't give them by business, most reputable businesses are more than happy to oblige. A handy tip someone gave me is if you're going on holidays where there will be a language barrier have someone write a short and to the point letter which you can make copies of and give to staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I've a nut and shellfish allergy-pretty severe. Have almost died from anaphalyxis before. There are no 'safe' restaurants in Galway in my mind. I never, ever eat fish out. I'll eat fish if I cook it myself and know it hasnt been sitting beside prawns or muscles in the fishmongers. With regards to nuts, I'd insist that the wait staff write down my allergy on the order docket. I'd always double check when the dish arrives. I had nut/seed free pesto in the Cottage Bar in Salthill recently which was lovely and the chef was very intune there regarding nut allergies.

Just a little update for anyone else with the same problem.Milanos were very accommodating and we ate in there without any issues. The pizza place beside (Pizza Napoli) Neachtains seems to be safe enough too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement