Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overeem Pulled Before Hearing. JDS V Mir

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

so are people saying here that there are many UFC fighters who are still fighting for the promotion and have had many fights who have been busted for PED use, served their time and now still fight for the UFC?
    I don't believe that, and I don't believe that most UFC fighters or even many UFC fighters who fight regularly use PEDs. I know about the Sherks etc but it ain't a long list. And yeah I will probably still watch every single UFC ever, steroids or not : ) but at the time I totally meant it : )

Steroid busts by year:
    ’02: 1
    ’03: 1
    ’04: 1
    ’05: 1
    ’06: 4
    ’07: 14 (!)
    ’08: 5
    ’09: 4
    ’10: 2
    ’11: 2
    ’12: 3

Steroid busts by commission:
    NSAC: 12
    CSAC: 23
    UFC’s independent testing: 3

http://www.cagepotato.com/mma-steroid-busts-definitive-timeline/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

so are people saying here that there are many UFC fighters who are still fighting for the promotion and have had many fights who have been busted for PED use, served their time and now still fight for the UFC?
    I don't believe that, and I don't believe that most UFC fighters or even many UFC fighters who fight regularly use PEDs. I know about the Sherks etc but it ain't a long list. And yeah I will probably still watch every single UFC ever, steroids or not : ) but at the time I totally meant it : )

Busted in the UFC, and still fought for the UFC:

Sonnen
    Marquardt
    Sherk
    Franca
    Sylvia
    Bonnar
    Leben
    Thiago Silva

Signed by UFC, after failing elsewhere:

Hallman
    Bigfoot
    Belfort
    Baroni

Some on the list might since have been cut, or in the case of Sonnen weaseled their way out of trouble, but i think its safe to say that prior cheating doesnt bother zuffa all that much.

fair enough but you're still talkin about a few guys out of hundreds in the UFC in the last 5 years and of that list only 5 or 6 contenders so I'm saying the sport isn't ruined by juicers yet like cycling is and with this whole Overeem controversy the in-house testing will just get more strict and Dana will take no bull**** from now on. A one year ban for a fighter in his prime is a massive blow to a career, I doubt there's many currently at the top of each weight group juicing within the UFC right now.

fair enough but you're still talkin about a few guys out of hundreds in the UFC in the last 5 years and of that list only 5 or 6 contenders so I'm saying the sport isn't ruined by juicers yet like cycling is and with this whole Overeem controversy the in-house testing will just get more strict and Dana will take no bull**** from now on. A one year ban for a fighter in his prime is a massive blow to a career, I doubt there's many currently at the top of each weight group juicing within the UFC right now.

I thought we were just talking about guys who got caught, getting another shot?

With regards to the sport as a whole; I've heard comments from fighters along the lines of "There are two types of athletes fighting at the top level, guys who use PED's and guys who get caught using PED's" and I think it was Dennis Hallman who claimed that his most conversative estimate was that 70% of top flight guys were using.

I don't doubt that grass roots MMA comps are full of fighters using PEDs... mind you I have nothing to back that up and neither does anyone else but I wouldn't argue with the opinion. But are the majority of say the top 15 guys in each weight group in the UFC right now using PEDs? and not getting caught? what do you think? I don't think so.. partly because I don't want to think so but also because there is testing in place and a lot of these guys are in the UFC for years getting tested regularly so I doubt they're doing it. There's something like 200/300 fighters on their books filling 20-25 cards annually with an awful lot of fighters with 5-10 fights in the UFC already over 2-3 years and you're talkin only 4 or 5 busted in the last 3 or 4 years out of all that. That would seem to say that there isn't a huge problem at the top of the game i.e. within the UFC right now.

I don't doubt that grass roots MMA comps are full of fighters using PEDs... mind you I have nothing to back that up and neither does anyone else but I wouldn't argue with the opinion. But are the majority of say the top 15 guys in each weight group in the UFC right now using PEDs? and not getting caught? what do you think? I don't think so.. partly because I don't want to think so but also because there is testing in place and a lot of these guys are in the UFC for years getting tested regularly so I doubt they're doing it. There's something like 200/300 fighters on their books filling 20-25 cards annually with an awful lot of fighters with 5-10 fights in the UFC already over 2-3 years and you're talkin only 4 or 5 busted in the last 3 or 4 years out of all that. That would seem to say that there isn't a huge problem at the top of the game i.e. within the UFC right now.

TBH i would think there is less use at the grass root level, I'd have thought the cost of PEDS would out weight what you can make fighting on small shows?

Personally I dont want to believe that guys at the upper levels of the sport are roiding, but im guessing guys like Hallman are more informed than I am.

Regards the testing, until recently afaik its been quite easy to work around, fighters know that they will be tested after a fight so cycle off within plenty of time to allow them to piss clean.

Personally, I say lift the ban, FORCE fighters to use! Then we get to sit back and watch as a bunch of angry, paranoid manbeasts with tiny testicles tear each other apart!

hahaha ok so there's no hope then everyone's juicin right so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TBH i would think there is less use at the grass root level, I'd have thought the cost of PEDS would out weight what you can make fighting on small shows?

I doubt the cost is that high. Thousands of recreational gym goers are taking PEDs. Making a monetary gain isn't the primary factor here either. Most people are just aiming for "Bigger, Stronger, Faster*"

Edit, to clarify. I'm suggest that PED use is far more rampant among recreational gym goers than regional level fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

I don't doubt that grass roots MMA comps are full of fighters using PEDs... mind you I have nothing to back that up and neither does anyone else but I wouldn't argue with the opinion.

Holy ****e how are you getting free reign in this thread. You obviously don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about or who you're talking to.

You've basically accused every person that competes in MMA in Ireland of using PEDs. Surely this is against the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Holy ****e how are you getting free reign in this thread. You obviously don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about or who you're talking to.

You've basically accused every person that competes in MMA in Ireland of using PEDs. Surely this is against the charter.

I dont think he did. He sadi he woudlnt argue with the opinion that there may be fighters at grass roots level using PEDs. He also said he had no evidence either way.

The guy has an opinion and laid it out quite carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

No he hasn't.

Kind of ironic the person falsely accusing someone of making outlandish statements is making one himself... :pac:

Advertisement