Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Televised moments that brought tears to your eyes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When Big Brother was renewed by channel 5 . .

Constant reminder how sh*t reality tv shows are now passed off as entertainment . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Augmerson wrote: »

Watched this on Discovery I think. Basically, this guy had a condition, that mean't his skin was in such poor state, it would come off so easily, he was always sick and in pain. He had an amazing attitude to it all, he knew he would die and suffer, but he said "I've just got a dodgy shell, that's all, a dodgy shell." That made me cry.

fantastic documentary, its on netflix as well, he's really funny as well for someone who's had such a sh1tty life. like having a carving of a tin of baked beans put on his coffin purely for the reason it'll bewilder people at his funeral :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

Only Fools and Horses- Time on our hands episode.

Del and Rodney's hard work finally paying off after all those years makes for a really emotional episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

A film rather than tv show, but first time I remember tearing up because of something on screen was in the cinema aged 7 watching My Girl, when Macaulay Culkin's
    character dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When I lost on Rapid Roulette. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

krudler wrote: »
    Fry's dog waiting for him, damn you Futurama

I won't watch that episode anymore because I know what's coming I start crying about 2 minutes in. : (

Can't watch the film, The Champ, either for the same reason. 2 minutes in I'm a blubbering mess. "wake up champ wake up" I'm welling up thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hibernianeggs

The Father Ted finale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

krudler wrote: »
    Fry's dog waiting for him, damn you Futurama

+1
    I cried like a full-term feotus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I saw it on Youtube so not a 'Televised' moment in the traditional sense... but the story of Dick and Rick Hoyt. Really shows what an ordinary person is capable of. The lengths people will go to for their kids.
    Team Hoyt began in 1977 when Rick became inspired by an article on racing he saw in a magazine. Dick Hoyt was not a runner and was nearly 37 years old. After their first race Rick said, “Dad, when I’m running, it feels like I’m not handicapped.” After their initial five mile run, Dick began running every day with a bag of cement in the wheelchair because Rick was at school and studying, unable to train with him". Dick was able to improve his fitness so much that even with pushing his son, he was able to obtain a personal record of a 5k in 17 minutes.

http://teamhoyt.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the lost finale and of course the champions league final in Istanbul 2005

Homer sitting on his car bonnet staring at the night sky after his mother leaves him for the second time. one of the best moments in The Simpsons ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The ending of Michael Collins. The music and the significance of his death just kills me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Another more recent Futurama moment was in a new episode where
    at the end it's revealed that Hermes allowed the adorable baby Bender to live despite his defect.

The finale of Battlestar Galactica, particularly when
    Roslin dies and Adama puts his wedding ring on her finger, and when Baltar breaks down when he says "You know, I know about farming."

Also early in the 3rd season when
    Saul kills Ellen, especially tragic as she'd done everything to help him.

The episode "The Visitor" from Star Trek Deep Space 9, especially
    near the end when the elderly Jake talks with Benjamin for the last time.
    And the series finale was very sad when
    they had the montage with the slow version of the theme music accompanying old clips of the characters.

I hated the finale of Lost, but the moment when
    Vincent the dog lay down beside Jack
    brought a lump to my throat.

The moment in the episode "The Constant" where
    Desmond finally got through to Penny
    was also a bit of a tearjerker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Without a doubt for me:

I don't think I have ever been so proud to be Irish after seeing that for the first time. Still welling up almost 20 years later. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skyflyer

When simba finds mufasa's body. Don't know many people that weren't emotionally scarred by that as kids.

Lost finale when jack realises the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I saw this report on BBC World News last night and it honestly turned my stomach. It dealt with acid attacks on women in Pakistan and the fact that many of the perpetrators haven never been prosecuted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17676542

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Beslan, I have never seen anything more horrifying.

This. I was only 16 when this happened but I was pretty much glued to the television screen. I couldn't believe what was happening really and everyone around me; be it family and friends didn't really pay attention to it on the news. I was like "WTF man, there are kids in there and you don't really care?".

Sure enough, anyone sitting at home can't really do much about it. I'm sure the option to storm the building was the only way they could save lives.

Although 9/11 still sticks in my mind (for obvious reasons), the Beslan Massacre is much worse for me. So sad, all the body bags of kids and teachers. :(

I might look for a documentary on youtube or somewhere so I can watch it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

The Birmingham six comming out of the court house after being found innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Pope John Paul the seconds visit to Scotland comes to mind for the beautiful summer(1982) that year and as I'm not particularly religious even I thought the man was a great ambassador for the Catholic church(sadly not so with the present incumbent).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Only Fools and Horses- Time on our hands episode.

Del and Rodney's hard work finally paying off after all those years makes for a really emotional episode.

They should have left it at that.
    They totally ruined it by continuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I can't think of anything myself really but I remember my mother balling at the televised funeral of a Garda killed by the 'Ra on the news. Can't remember his name but must have been 25 years back so wasn't Jerry McCabe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

"You gonna look out for me, Sgt. Carver?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I saw this video on Sky News one night and it just got to me. Even the OH had a tear in his eye

Sydneysider Kristian Anderson, 35, has been having chemotherapy since he was diagnosed with cancer in October 2009. He made the video for his wife of seven years, Rachel, as a birthday present and a thank-you for her support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Since having kids I actually cry at everything I see on tv, the last thing that made me cry was junior masterchef australia :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a TV moment persé but anyone who doesn't burst into tears at the end of 'Dear Zachary' hasn't got a heart..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Rolf Harris on the late late show singing two little boys and crying about the north. Also the "last sleep" in the elephant man film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

kfallon wrote: »

To this day I still burst into tears when I see this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The game had been lost... defeat was in the air. 7 minutes remained and Kerry held a 4 point advantage. I was absolutely despairing. Victory had been within reach, and suddenly it looked as if Kerry were going to do what Kerry usually always do and march on and win. But then the script was torn apart...

Then there was belief, there was hope. The dying moments of the game saw the teams level. Another crack at Kerry was now possible, a replay beckoned. But once again, the script was changed and then followed a kick that was heard around the world...

Arguably the greatest goalkeeper Dublin have ever had, and it was only fitting that he would be the one who would deliver Sam to Dublin for the first time in 16 years.

Years of hurt, pain and in some cases humiliation (see All-Ireland Quarter Finals of 2008 and 2009...) were finally banished. It does not matter how many times I see those videos. I will always have a clenched fist and tears in my eyes as I watch them. To snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in such a fashion. To show such unwavering belief and not to let the heads drop. To stun the usually stoic and unemotional Kerry and to seize the day... Even those I know who HATE Dublin with passion had to admit it was nothing short of brilliant and admirable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fiona wrote: »
    To this day I still burst into tears when I see this :(

Didn't make me cry but certainly shocked me as I saw it live. I was on a day off and down in Conelscourt getting money from an ATM when a buddy called me. Rushed to a local pub and sat watching as the second plane hit. Such a sad day. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

This movie, bring a tear to a glass eye.

can't believe I forgot about this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Didn't make me cry but certainly shocked me as I saw it live. I was on a day off and down in Conelscourt getting money from an ATM when a buddy called me. Rushed to a local pub and sat watching as the second plane hit. Such a sad day. :(

I was working in Irish Life at the time, I never forget it standing on the floor watching it on the tele's that were on the floor.

Men and women crying, then on the dart on the way home everybody was speaking to each other, almost like they needed some comfort from the person beside them for the journey home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

In Band of Brothers, when Easy Company discover the concentration camp. Especially where an old prisoner of the camp thanks one of the soldiers, kissing him on the cheeks. Always makes me cry.

Also when Goebbels children are forced to ingest crushed cyanide in Downfall.

It's not just nazi-related tv shows/movies that get me, but more if it depicts things that have actually happened. Those two stand out the most for me.

And I think one of the first posters mentioned something about the time someone dies in The Wire. That got me too, breaking my only-cry-if-it's-fact-not-fiction rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Last two times i can remember.....

Got up at 4am to see who won the American presidential election a few years ago. Burst into tears at Obama's acceptance speech. I wanted to pack up and take my family to America there and then. What a land of opportunity!

More recently, Marley & Me. That film is just criminal. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

More recently, Marley & Me.

Got there before me - 3 words that cannot be siad to many adults without tears, Marley and Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

When President Obama walked out with his family for the first time as president, it moved me. I don't particularly know why. Perhaps it was the history of the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

one foot in the grave, last epsoide when victor gets killed. recked me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

The part in the film Titanic where the ship is going down and the Mammys reading the kids the story and the old couple snuggle up in bed for the last time

Gets me every time :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Watched "Rude Tube" there the other evening and some skateboarder landed on his rocks trying to skate down a steel handrail. This brought tears to his eyes and my own watered a bit in sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

all i can think of is sports.last minute combacks/goals where i was close to shedding a tear etc
    if i had to catorgorise them it go like this..
    hands down one of the greatest monents in irish rugby,every scrum you'd hear o connell shouting at the players 110% lads 110 %!!!the way ended i remember watching it closing my eyes thinking it was head over....
    Best gaa football game hands down has to be this,
    .im not a mayo either :D

will never forget this, even get a shiver watching it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

one foot in the grave, last epsoide when victor gets killed. recked me.

I never knew he died :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

http://www.wimp.com/incrediblelap/

also this....i never watch moto gp but i can see why it attracts so many fans for moments like this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Istanbul 2005,Xabi Alonso's goal...magic! I found watching Band of Brothers on the first and second episode when you had the real life counterparts talking about their experience when they themselves well up it's hard not to!

That infamous clip with Rolf HarrisAnimal Hospital with the real tough guy saying goodbye to his dog in the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

skinny90 wrote: »
    will never forget this, even get a shiver watching it now

This brings a tear to my eye everytime. I can remember so vividly being about 15 and running around the house like a maniac. Going into school the next day I couldn't speak because I had a hoare throat.

Several other moments mentioned here have moved me: Obama's election, Omagh bombing, September 11th.

One which really sticks out in my mind however is this - David Cameron's apology for "Bloody Sunday"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oQcH3FYR-o&feature=related
    and then this Mark Durkin's response in the British Parliament.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKVGO2eZKvE&feature=related

Still brings a lump to the throat now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I had a bet of €250 at 100/1 on Thomas Bjorn to win the British Open in 2003.

Thomas Bjorn, 2003 British Open
    Bjorn led Ben Curtis by three strokes with four holes to play. But he dropped a stroke at the 15th, then disaster struck on the par-3 16th at Royal St. George's. Bjorn put his tee shot into a deep greenside bunker. When he attempted to blast out, the ball caught an upslope on the green and couldn't quite get over the hump. It rolled right back down into the bunker. Bjorn tried again - and the same thing happened. Finally, on his third attempt, he got the ball out. But he made double-bogey to fall into a tie, then bogeyed the 17th to complete the collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Smeggy wrote: »
    When Shane died in Home & Away :o I was only about 7

The whole episode of The Royle Family when nana died, from when she said "Im not a burden am I Barbara"

Watched a terribly sad show about a cancer hospice a while back, one woman's daughter had Down Syndrome and didn't know what was going on and then the woman died in the end... I was in bits!

/waaaaaaaaa

That Marymount Hospice show was gut wrenching. When I saw that I wondered where the justice was in all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

Shiny wrote: »
    Without a doubt for me:

I don't think I have ever been so proud to be Irish after seeing that for the first time. Still welling up almost 20 years later. :)

"YES"!!!
    Well remember watching the Eurovision that night...
    Usual run of the mill song contest...
    Then Riverdance "EXPLODED"!!!! onto the stage.....

My heart soared..My mind in delerium..
    Words cannot explain just what I felt to be "IRISH" that night..We knocked not alone Europe , but the World for six that night...

Oh what has become of my beautiful country:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Found it. Absolutely heart wrenching.

marvsins wrote: »
    First time seeing it, its actually shocking the lack of help from the people at the scene. So sad for Purley.
    Wasn't a whole lot the marshalls could do, they weren't wearing fireproof clothing, only the drivers were. Horrible stuff though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement