Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Televised moments that brought tears to your eyes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Beslan, I have never seen anything more horrifying.

My OH is from Nth Ossetia-Alaniya - she lost 2 cousins at Beslan!

Definitely the One Foot in the Grave finale where Victor dies. Though they got horribly screwed - it was on the same night of the first person to win the million on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

yesno1234 wrote: »
    You obviously don't understand the magnitude of what happened that day if you don't find that video any way emotional for you.

I was 13 years old at the time and I had tears in my eyes.

I dont regard thw playing of a loyalist pandering "anthem" in Croke Park to have anything whatsoever to do with healing the problems of the last few centuries. Irelands Call for the Ireland team is like playing some Apartheid era Afrikaans- Dutch white anthem for todays S African football/ rugby teams. If some people want to live in the past they should form their own twat teams and have a little orange march on the pitch before every game, instead of hoisting their bollix on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

this.................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis

i was home for my lunch , watching this horror unfold in front of me
    just after the bombs went off, locals and security forces started to rescue the kids - a moment that will stay with me until i die

in particular two children near naked being carried out from the school , skin blackened from the fires - one of them looks straight at a camera , and the look just pierced me

adults killing adults - let them at it , but when kids are held hostage like that i really don't understand how someone could do that..... how could you look into the eyes of a small child and not feel pity, and want to help it ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The night that Barry McGuigan beat Eusebio Pedroza in 1985 to become WBA Featherweight Champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

lizt wrote: »
    That Pokemon episode when Ash is in an igloo somewhere and he puts all his Pokemon into their pokeballs to keep them warm but they come out and hug him to keep him warm.

What can I say, I'm a 90s child.

When ash dies in the pokemon movie and they all cry and bring him back to life! :'(

The night on the Late Late Show that Gay Byrne rang the prize winner live on air only to discover the woman's daughter had died that day, the lady's daughter has been killed in a car accident and the prize that week on the Late Late Show was a car :(

Gay was joined on the show by poet, Brendan Kenneally and a nun and between them they tried to console the poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

Derek redmond 1992 Olympics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The funeral of Princess Diana in 1997. Those pictures of the hearse driving through London with people throwing flowers at it did bring tears to my eyes. It was the saddest funeral that I have ever watched on TV.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

theavenger wrote: »
    Derek redmond 1992 Olympics

I've always thought that was a little bit staged tbh but if it was 100% 'true' I can see why you would say that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Also a multitude of drink driving ads, especially the one featuring You Never Bring Me Flowers always got to me (couldn't find the clip).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Without doubt, this. There are so many moments in it, from the priest talking emotionally after how the dead and injured were just thrown in vans to the British journalist asking "how many gunmen [sic] do you think you hit?" and saying "the organisers of the march said it would be peaceful" - talk about partisan journalism. Just watching the camaraderie at the start as an entire community came out to march and contrasting it with 8.01 on when lines of Irish people were being marched by British soldiers with their hands over their heads after 27 people in their community had just been shot by the same force makes me shudder at the immorality of the way power was used and abused that day.

The most infamous television clip from the day, of the men carrying a dying teenager while a priest waves a blood-stained handkerchief can be seen on this Reeling in the Years clip for 1972 at 0.44:

The Paul Greengrass dramatisation of Bloody Sunday in 2002, with James Nesbitt in the lead role, was a remarkably accurate reflection of the above footage and evoked so many of the same emotions:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,209 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ryan Tubridy interviewing Juliette Binoche, Truly the saddest moment in RTE history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Tazium wrote: »

I was just about to post this one the young boy in this was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Italia 90 when Ireland qualified for the Quarter Finals of the World cup. Never a moment like that will be witnessed in this country again unless we win the Euros. :D

Munster winning the Heineken Cup in 2006 after so many near misses from the start of the competition. Came close numerous times but to go the whole way that year brought tears to my eyes. Same with Ireland and the Grand Slam in 2009.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The end of Toy Story 3 where he gives the toys to Bonnie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grSg8cd8v-Q

In 1995, Clare won the All Ireland Hurling Final for the first time in 81 years.

Anthony Daly's acceptance speech brought tears of joy and relief, like many people in Clare I never thought it would happen but it did happen and finally the Biddy Early curse was broken :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

when frodo raped samwise:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm as much as a sports fan as the next man, but some of the clips posted here are odd to say the least.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    In 1995, Clare won the All Ireland Hurling Final for the first time in 81 years.

Anthony Daly's acceptance speech brought tears of joy and relief, like many people in Clare I never thought it would happen but it did happen and finally the Biddy Early curse was broken :).

Its not exactly 9/11 is it:P

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in the county jersey ;)

Up in Donegal ye wouldn't be known for yer hurling skills:p:D

Hurlings for bloody catholics;)

John Doe1 wrote: »

The title mentioned things on TV that brought tears to your eyes, it didn't specify if they were happy or sad tears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Not too hot at the football either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I was watching it unfold as a 9 year old lad and it is still etched so vividly in my mind over 20 years later. I remember being beside myself with grief, unable to fully comprehend what was going on while my older sister tried to console me.

Watching people suffer like that is something I hope I never witness again...

Justice for the 96.

Hazys wrote: »

I'm always sceptical of how quickly he pulls up with his hamstring injury but anyway I digress......

This made a ten year old kfallon cry and not tears of joy, felt like the end of my world at the time :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

We need a section for people who cried at nothing before becoming parents and now blubber at the slightest thing
    ET absolutely murders me.Even the music in isolation gets to me.
    I watched marley and me once and never ever again.
    Live 8, when Bob Geldof brought the girl from the original Band Aid video, the one who we all assumed was dieing, up on stage and she was a beautiful intelligent girl studying agricultural science.
    Oh and if like me you are a parent of a small boy The Road will freak you out.

When Inspector Morse dies and Lewis arrives at the hospital to say goodbye to his boss. What is really sad about the scene is that John Thaw, the actor who played Morse was dying of cancer at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anything involving pets dieing. For some reason I feel more strongly about this than I do about people.

From a movie point of view, the following moment in the Green Mile had me going I must admit.

The execution of Michael Clarke Duncan's character.

Also the ending to 'The Garage' with Pat Shortt (who played an absolute blinder it must be said)

I knew a lad in my class at school who currently leads a life very similar life to Shortt's character...it was very upsetting thinking about how the poor lad was mistreated all the time growing up. Kids are absolute bastards sometimes...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

telekon wrote: »
    From a movie point of view, this had me going I must admit...
    The execution of Michael Clarke Duncan's character in the Green Mile.

Also the ending to 'The Garage' with Pat Shortt (who played an absolute blinder it must be said)

I knew a lad in my class at school who currently leads a life very similar life to Shortt's character...it was very upsetting thinking about how the poor lad was mistreated all the time growing up. Kids are absolute bastards sometimes...:(

Its kinda pointless spoilering something without telling people what movie it is you're spoiling (Its The Green Mile btw)

krudler wrote: »
    Its kinda pointless spoilering something without telling people what movie it is you're spoiling (Its The Green Mile btw)

True. Amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

krudler wrote: »
    Fry's dog waiting for him, damn you Futurama

Also the montage when they show how Leela's parents were really looking after her in secret the whole time.

Also the episode with the devils hands. Such an underappreciated show.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

telekon wrote: »

Same here, there must be one in every town/village. I think it's why the film was so touching, because we all know a person like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭leinster_fan

for me it's any footage of the tsunami on Stephens' Day 2004.
    Over 200,000 people died and the images of all the dead bodies on beaches was shocking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Made me cry a river

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

EURO 88 - Ray Houghton putting the ball in the back of the England net... The release of emotion at the end of the match when the final whistle was blown was unbelieveable....

Made me cry a river

You nearly made me cry with relief years ago :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Jim Stynes' documentary. Every Heart Beats True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Onion Chopaton they have on the Shopping Network.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Another bit from Toy Story 3

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

BBC TV's classic series Edge Of Darkness had some memorable moments.

This scene,when Craven searches his daughter's room just after he's seen her being shot in front of him, is surely one of the most moving interpretations of a man's grief for someone he loved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still to this day this has me bawling anytime I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Anything involving pets dieing. For some reason I feel more strongly about this than I do about people.

I am legend, this absolutely kills me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

DazMarz wrote: »
    The game had been lost... defeat was in the air. 7 minutes remained and Kerry held a 4 point advantage. I was absolutely despairing. Victory had been within reach, and suddenly it looked as if Kerry were going to do what Kerry usually always do and march on and win. But then the script was torn apart...

Then there was belief, there was hope. The dying moments of the game saw the teams level. Another crack at Kerry was now possible, a replay beckoned. But once again, the script was changed and then followed a kick that was heard around the world...

Arguably the greatest goalkeeper Dublin have ever had, and it was only fitting that he would be the one who would deliver Sam to Dublin for the first time in 16 years.

Years of hurt, pain and in some cases humiliation (see All-Ireland Quarter Finals of 2008 and 2009...) were finally banished. It does not matter how many times I see those videos. I will always have a clenched fist and tears in my eyes as I watch them. To snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in such a fashion. To show such unwavering belief and not to let the heads drop. To stun the usually stoic and unemotional Kerry and to seize the day... Even those I know who HATE Dublin with passion had to admit it was nothing short of brilliant and admirable.

Ya right ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement