Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Televised moments that brought tears to your eyes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Tommy Cooper. What a legend! I grew up watching him and laughing at him, the man was a saint in my eyes.

Then THIS happened. I was watching it live and like manyt others thought it was part of the act. It wasn't until the next day we were told he died doing what he loved best.

Still brings a tear to my eye searching for this clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The end of the movie Shawshank Redemption - "Brooks was here".

Please note that some people might find this upsetting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Lost, had me in tears so many times through out the series, some that I really remember:

When Charlie was hanged and Jack saves him

When Desmond calls Penny from the boat.

Ending of Season 5 had me in tears, some great acting though.

Charlie's death was sad too, but each subsequent time I watch it, it doesn't seem as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I'm in no ways a royalist but when the Queen set foot on Irish soil last year I nearly burst into tears. If my grandfather (having worked all his life in England) was still alive he wouldn't have known what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Scrubs ending, I had a fine big lump in my throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I can't believe Sopranos hasn't been mentioned yet. Loads to choose from, Pussy being shot, Sil being shot, Bobby being shot (there's a running theme there). Also Tony's dream sequence when he's just a business man in a hotel and Moby - When It's Cold I'd Like to Die is playing at the end.

But I picked this one, the last scene with Tony and Junior where Junior doesn't have a clue who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

beeroclock wrote: »
    Ya right ;)

I enjoyed that again... check out the fan that grabbed fennells jacket and celebrated with the team on the pitch,,, claasic..i forgot about that...you will see him at 2.35...

when Dr greene died on er still gets me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The ending of Friends!! It always brings a tear to my eye for some reason! Seems like the end of an era and reminds me of moving away from home and my group of friends all going our own ways ofter school :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Locker10a wrote: »
    The ending of Friends!! It always brings a tear to my eye for some reason! Seems like the end of an era and reminds me of moving away from home and my group of friends all going our own ways ofter school :(
    I think they were all over 40 at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I know it was hardly a weepy kind of show generally, but in the final episode of "Sex and the City" when Miranda is washing Steve's mother (who obviously had some sort of dementia/alzheimer's) and the nanny is watching on and tells her "That is love. You love."

It's so lovely- after all the romance, sex, fun times etc you have with your partner, real love is when you take on all their baggage and issues and you deal with it because that's what you do when you love someone.

Also, I don't know how many of you watch Russell Howard's Good News, but at the very end of every show he shows a clip of some nice story, they're usually pretty tear-inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

When they found a new species of rat in Lost Land of the Jaguar.. it moved me

or in Life of Grime when the young chav's toilet started regurgitating everyone in the entire tower block's ****e, and then some.. very sad state of affairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I remember staying up to watch this even though I had school the next day, and being in complete shock once it became clear it wasnt part of the show

For those who dont know what the clip relates to, WWF wrestler Owen Hart was at the time under the guise of a mask and was to be lowered to the ring from the arena ceiling when the harness broke and he fell to his death in front of a live crowd of over 15,000 people, the fall itself wasnt seen on tv as it was playing a video at the time and as far as I know the footage taken was destroyed. It was so strange to see a WWF show where everyone broke character, the Raw tribute the next night was the same, really emotional stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hillsborough

Seeing a canadian UN guy in a digger shot in the head by a sniper on the rté news in Sarajevo

9/11, especially the jumpers

Happier moments:

The Chilean miners

The Guildford 3 leaving jail

Michael D's inauguration

Sport:
    Seamus Darby's Goal: I cried cos me da and ma cheered so much they sacred the bejaysus out of the little boy carawaystick

Tommy Gill burying the ball at the death against Antrim; I was 3 rows away from the Tommy Murphy cup for the match.

Footage of Joe Connolly, collecting Liam

The people of Armagh storming Croker after winning.

The Mike Powell / Carl Lewis long jump final in Tokyo - 3 world records, all better than Bob Beamon's

Jamie Carragher's performance in the last few minutes of extra time in Istanbul. I felt watching, he would have died before giving up.

Lastly:
    Shefflin getting Jamsey McGarry's son up to lift Liam McCarthy, a few days after his mother was killed in a car crash.

Shefflin started by saying ever since he was a boy he all he ever wanted to do was to lift the cup, but showed there were far more important things than sport, proving Bill Shankly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

There were two that I watched once and was never able to watch again due to sheer dehydration from crying afterwards :o

"The Dying Rooms" Channel 4 about 10 years ago
    "Bulgaria's Abandoned Children" also Channel 4, I think

If you have never seen either of these, I defy you to watch them and not blub;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

a good few in Corrie like, when Mike Baldwin died, when when Vera died and that whole episode i was bawling, and more recentlyish when Molly was dumping Tyrone :(:(:(, got that made me so sad for him!!! wanted to kill her and "comfort" ;) him hehe, one of the saddest things in that show!

its been said already, but +1 there, the ending of Friends, oh my god, i bawled! and still cry when i see it now too!!
    "i got off the plane" :(

oh and not forgetting this, my god everytime i hear/see this i cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

1995 All Ireland Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Laugh as you all may, but watching "Riverdance" for the first time in the eurovision brought me to tears and still does when I hear or see it. Powerful stuff and I was only 20 when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Caraville wrote: »
    I know it was hardly a weepy kind of show generally, but in the final episode of "Sex and the City"

I absolutely bawled my eyes out at the final part, I think it was the 4 women walking and 'You've got the love' playing that did it.

Also, I remember my sister and me crying at the episode of Friends where Ross is getting married to Emily
    and says Rachael's name by mistake. I don't think a spoiler should even be needed here but just in case!

Charmed - when Piper thinks Leo is dead.

Big Brother 7 - When Nikki and Pete are reunited.

My So-Called Life, the episode where Rayanne and Angela fall out and Rayanne is acting a scene at the end. Also the episode where Angela and Jordan get together and
    he walks her down the hall at the end. Blub!

The Bodyguard! I hadn't seen it in years and when I seen the end
    I had forgotten that Kevin Cosner's character survived.

I've cried at too many TV programmes and films!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    a good few in Corrie like, when Mike Baldwin died, when when Vera died and that whole episode i was bawling, and more recentlyish when Molly was dumping Tyrone :(:(:(, got that made me so sad for him!!! wanted to kill her and "comfort" ;) him hehe, one of the saddest things in that show!

its been said already, but +1 there, the ending of Friends, oh my god, i bawled! and still cry when i see it now too!!
    "i got off the plane" :(

oh and not forgetting this, my god everytime i hear/see this i cry!

Ok you can add that to the crying list also, she is so cute...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Pink Floyd at Live 8. Never thought I'd see those guys share a stage again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

krudler wrote: »
    Fry's dog waiting for him, damn you Futurama
    Comedy & Tragedy - The worst combination:(

More of a film than a televised moment, the ending of Life is Beautiful (La Vita é Bella), the story of a Jewish Italian man and his son in a concentration camp.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

cml387 wrote: »
    I think they were all over 40 at that stage.
    I know but its the whole friends seperating after going through so much concept that makes it so sad!

Has anyone seen my sisters keeper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

When your man fell on the ice on RTE news, I cried with laughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The end of the Christmas Special of The Office where Dawn comes back for Tim.

God damn I love that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

From The Sopranos -
    Adriana's murder. When she gets in the car with Sil and suddenly realises that he's not bringing her to the hospital to see Christopher, but actually out to the woods. Then when she tries to crawl away as Sil shoots her. That really got me. I always saw her as the one glimmer of hope in the show, the one person who might actually escape and make a better life, and then she's brutally murdered like that, with such a hopeless, pathetic last few moments.
    It was shocking, and one of the moments in the show that confirmed to me that The Sopranos is the greatest show I've ever seen.

Seeing Obama win the US presidential election and seeing him walk out with his family - it's one of the most significant historical moments I've been alive to witness, and something I'll never forget.

Witnessing the 9/11 terrorist attacks on television - it was probably the first time I'd ever seen anything like that in my life. I was still quite young at the time, but I remember being shocked and just not understanding what was happening really, but that it was awful. Seeing the people jumping from the windows was the most scarring, violent and distressing thing I'd ever seen up to that point.

The Japanese tsunami - I just remember clearly seeing footage of a car driving as the tsunami was coming in land, but instead of driving away from it (which they must have thought they were doing), they were driving towards it. It just kind of hammered home how overwhelming the forces of nature are, and how helpless we are in the face of those forces in full effect. It just kinda put everything into perspective.

While I wasn't old enough to remember him that well, listening to and watching some of Bill Hicks' performances from the past now, particularly the ones towards the end of his life, are emotional for me sometimes. I know that people tend to romanticize him a lot, but he was the first person that I discovered as a teenager that made me think about things a bit more, and so for that reason I will always have a soft spot for him. Seeing David Letterman apologise to his mother over ten years after his death for refusing to broadcast his segment on his show at the time was nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

wow, we all forgot about this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

From The Sopranos -
    Adriana's murder. When she gets in the car with Sil and suddenly realises that he's not bringing her to the hospital to see Christopher, but actually out to the woods. Then when she tries to crawl away as Sil shoots her. That really got me. I always saw her as the one glimmer of hope in the show, the one person who might actually escape and make a better life, and then she's brutally murdered like that, with such a hopeless, pathetic last few moments.
    It was shocking, and one of the moments in the show that confirmed to me that The Sopranos is the greatest show I've ever seen.

Seeing Obama win the US presidential election and seeing him walk out with his family - it's one of the most significant historical moments I've been alive to witness, and something I'll never forget.

Witnessing the 9/11 terrorist attacks on television - it was probably the first time I'd ever seen anything like that in my life. I was still quite young at the time, but I remember being shocked and just not understanding what was happening really, but that it was awful. Seeing the people jumping from the windows was the most scarring, violent and distressing thing I'd ever seen up to that point.

The Japanese tsunami - I just remember clearly seeing footage of a car driving as the tsunami was coming in land, but instead of driving away from it (which they must have thought they were doing), they were driving towards it. It just kind of hammered home how overwhelming the forces of nature are, and how helpless we are in the face of those forces in full effect. It just kinda put everything into perspective.

While I wasn't old enough to remember him that well, listening to and watching some of Bill Hicks' performances from the past now, particularly the ones towards the end of his life, are emotional for me sometimes. I know that people tend to romanticize him a lot, but he was the first person that I discovered as a teenager that made me think about things a bit more, and so for that reason I will always have a soft spot for him. Seeing David Letterman apologise to his mother over ten years after his death for refusing to broadcast his segment on his show at the time was nice too.

I ave been watching the Sopranos the last few days and ave just now seen the episode where Chris sits on her dog while doing Heroin,cried with laughter it is really bad taste,that scene is pretty messed up though that you described. Last episode is one that gave me a few tears.
    Poor Silvio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I remember on Rail Police or some shìt, some years back.. This grebo kid had topped himself via oncoming train.. and it was the saddest thing...

he had a offspring cd in his player. I went from laughter to tears, pretty damn quick

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

When Gerry Bertier and Julius Campbell talk about getting old together in the hospital in Remember The Titans.

Also, The ending to Gran Torino !

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

When Lightning McClean finds out about Doc being The Hudson Hornet.

Always brings a lump to my throat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Wow. Really surprised nobody's mentioned the funeral scene from "Four weddings and a funeral".

For me I'd have to say the end of "Lamb" with Liam Neeson and Hugh O'Connor. Brilliant film, but there was something in my eye at the end.:(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The last ten minutes of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - kicked the shít out of me. And i'm a 34 year old male

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

From The Sopranos -

Whilst i agree with the others items did you really believe the Obama hyperbowl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The episode of Bablyon 5 where Marcus Cole
    uses an alien device to give his life energy to heal Ivanova, knowing he would die in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

I can't believe no one mentioned Grey's Anatomy when
    Alex and Izzy get married
    and when
    George Dies

Private Practice:
    When Amelia's Fiance dies of an overdose.And when Addison got her baby

And let's be honest here, The Donkey Sanctuary ad.

Re: The Sopranos - without question the finest TV programme ever made.

The scene that got me in it was
    When Tony finished off Chris after the car crash - defo one of the biggest HOLY SHÍT moments. Think it was the look in Chris's eyes....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmWXAPQiq_Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I remember watching this at my nans when i was a boy and i have to say i didnt cry at time but this video shocked me so much, i look at it now and wonder why nobody ever remembers it when you remember all the other football disasters , when you watch it in its entirety you get full shock of the speed the fire takes off.

looking at video you dont realise that 56 people died !!! thats terrible

From what i've read they tried to get out the back of the stand but the fire exit gates were locked and there was no stewards to open them, they didnt have fire extinguishers in the stands because back in the 80s they be used for violence.

When you see the list of names you cant help chocking over the amount of same sirnames that were probably from same family' young children that may have been with parents

Bradford fire

i shouldn't have watched that. jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Whilst i agree with the others items did you really believe the Obama hyperbowl?

Regardless of what you think about his presidency, the fact that there was a black family living in the White House for the first time ever in a country where less than 100 years before black people were being lynched is pretty big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Back in the day, heavy stuff for a kids show :(

But on a lighter note. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,310 ✭✭✭✭Penn

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Back in the day, heavy stuff for a kids show :(

Was literally just about to post that. Had the link copied and everything.

Unbelievable scene. Same with Futurama and Fry's dog, it's amazing when a comedy show can suddenly flip things and come out with incredible scenes like these.... Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I am not a massive Goran Ivanisevic fan or anything but in 2001, when he got into Wimbledon on a 'wild card' and clawed his way to the final, just scraping wins in 5 set matches, I couldn't help but have tears in my eyes to see him yet again battle to win another 5 set match.

I have never seen anybody in any sport fight as much as he did in that final. He seemed to want to win as if his very life depended on it and the fact that he almost lost it and had to dig so deep for such a long and drawn out match, just made it all the more emotional when he finally did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Frisbee wrote: »
    The end of the Christmas Special of The Office where Dawn comes back for Tim.

God damn I love that show.

This

And also in Extras when Andy has his breakdown on Big Brother.

Love him or hate him, Gervais knows how to hit the emotional note when he wants to.

In films, the montage that runs at the finale of Cinema Paradiso always seems to get me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

Last two times i can remember.....

Got up at 4am to see who won the American presidential election a few years ago. Burst into tears at Obama's acceptance speech. I wanted to pack up and take my family to America there and then. What a land of opportunity!

More recently, Marley & Me. That film is just criminal. ;)

I cannot watch Marley and me ever again, Also the film Garage had me in bits for 3 days, especially the ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

when jack died in coronation street and vera's ghost came to take him off to the afterlife. I balled like a baby and the hubby had a tear in the eye but got up and made tea! so i wouldnt notice!
    When Pat died in Eastenders
    And years ago in Eastenders when Dot mercy killed her best friend Ethel with a pillow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The Shield...

I didn't cry over this but I think only because I'm still in extreme shock and denial, I watched this over 2 years ago.
    I sometimes catch myself daydreaming and wondering how Ronnies getting on and feeling angry. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement