Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Televised moments that brought tears to your eyes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

blackwhite wrote: »
    This

And also in Extras when Andy has his breakdown on Big Brother.

Love him or hate him, Gervais knows how to hit the emotional note when he wants to.

In films, the montage that runs at the finale of Cinema Paradiso always seems to get me.
    The montage gets to me too i have shivers just thinking about it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I am not a massive Goran Ivanisevic fan or anything but in 2001, when he got into Wimbledon on a 'wild card' and clawed his way to the final, just scraping wins in 5 set matches, I couldn't help but have tears in my eyes to see him yet again battle to win another 5 set match.

God yeah, that was a great match. But it was hard to watch as both he and Rafter wanted it so much. Rafter had said he was retiring that year so it was his last chance too. And if memory serves wasn't this played on a Monday due to bad weather delays the previous week? I remember trying to log on the websites at work trying desperately to figure out how the match was going. Such tense stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

Beslan. The coverage of Michaela Harte's death. Pheobe Prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 skinsseries3

The end scene of Man on Fire. Watched this again last night and couldn't control myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Sopranos
    AJs attempted suicide. James Gandolfini is incredible when he gets him out and they are at the side of the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not so much a tearful scene but quite sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i find it very hard to watch without crying.................everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just watched the last episode of 'That 70's Show'.

Sniff! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

This never fails to move me, also with added Jenny Agutter:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Will's father leaves.

Super acting from Smith. The power in it is shocking. Bawled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A starving polar bear not long out of hibernation attacks some walruses out of desperation. A gamble that doesnt pay of as the polar bear's injuries are to much to carry on. Saddest part for me is the bear digging a small hole and laying down to die. It really highlights the effects of global warming on wildlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Dostoevsky wrote: »

The Paul Greengrass dramatisation of Bloody Sunday in 2002, with James Nesbitt in the lead role, was a remarkably accurate reflection of the above footage and evoked so many of the same emotions:

The first time I watched that film I was absolutely inconsolable - the part where Ivan Cooper goes to the hospital to try to console the families and the enormity of what has taken place hits him. And his statement to the press afterwards - prophetic and sadly true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

there was this show on today around 6, i think it was called 'the angelus'. basically there was this old man in his garden and he was happy and then suddenly he just stopped and froze, the poor guy couldnt move for a minute! needless to say i shed a tear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭HoggyRS

As a relatively young person(22) I've always find this to be one of the most upsetting clips from my lifetime in Irish history. I'm welling up here watching it and i've seen it a load of times before. Its horrific to think how many people of our parents generation are living with this ****. I remember reading about all the abuses that went on in the school where all the previous generation of my family went and its hard not to imagine what your own relations have seen or even experienced.

I also feel this clip was an important moment in my losing my religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

Season finale of Six Feet Under

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Jesus that is absolutely heartbreaking to watch. So much respect for that man and the courage he had to say this live on the show

Jesus I had never seen that.

i think we should just delete every other moment and leave this one up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Tarkus wrote: »
    I was only ten at the time and cried buckets. Ditto Columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOAcRKZxjy4&list=PL9BD5E9DCFC492580&index=5&feature=plpp_video

I will genuinely pay you 10 Euro if you watch this video and don't cry. What makes it worse for me is that fact that my dogs almost 14 now and the times gonna come soon and this video just....ah just watch it and find out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

If people are going to write something or upload something, can you be considerate enough use the spoiler tag on certain things? i.e tv shows endings and youtube clips that have no description?:)

It saves people from screaming blue murder when they read or see a character who dies in a show, or some other significant event, they are following or beginning to watch. :cool:

Oh and that Bradford football ground fire was devastating:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The reliant robin piece on Top Gear where he just kept flipping it, tears of laughter every time, best bit of TG ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

This one gets to me every time. James Stewart talking about his dog on the Johnny Carson show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this has a habit of getting dust into my eye

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

silverharp wrote: »
    this has a habit of getting dust into my eye
    That story would make a great movie !

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

brummytom wrote: »
    Nan dying in the Royle Family

This one had me in floods of tears because it reminded me so much of my mam.

She had been ill for a long time,and even though I was living at home,all the family helped take care of her.

I'd been out having a few drinks after work one Friday,and when I got in mam called me.

We were talking,and she said how sorry she was for being a burden,and how she never wanted to end up like this,thanks for looking after me.
    I told her she was never a burden,and anything I was doing for,well,she'd do it for me.
    She said she was tired and was going to sleep,she looked up and said,"you know I love you son",I said of course I knew,and I loved her.

They were the last words I spoke to her,she died the next morning,so watching Barbara with her mam knocked me sideways.I've seen it god knows how many times now,and everytime it gets me.

A wonderful,if truly heartbreaking piece of tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Dub Ste wrote: »
    This one had me in floods of tears because it reminded me so much of my mam.

She had been ill for a long time,and even though I was living at home,all the family helped take care of her.

I'd been out having a few drinks after work one Friday,and when I got in mam called me.

We were talking,and she said how sorry she was for being a burden,and how she never wanted to end up like this,thanks for looking after me.
    I told her she was never a burden,and anything I was doing for,well,she'd do it for me.
    She said she was tired and was going to sleep,she looked up and said,"you know I love you son",I said of course I knew,and I loved her.

They were the last words I spoke to her,she died the next morning,so watching Barbara with her mam knocked me sideways.I've seen it god knows how many times now,and everytime it gets me.

A wonderful,if truly heartbreaking piece of tv.

....you have me with a tear in the eye there Dub Ste!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I hate this thread, didn't cry for years, but caught up very quickly. Plaudits op, thread of the year definitely.

To add my own, the fabrice muamba incident on paddies day. As a spurs fan I was flicking between this and the rugby match. When I flicked back van Der vaart was there with his head in his hands looking like he missed a sitter.

Initially I was disappointed with the lack of atmosphere at the game until I copped that the commentators were silent. What unfolded stirred every emotion I had. It really brought everyone down to earth with the trivial importance and bitterness in the sport. It just is a game and the universal support the player got helped clean all of the nastiness in the game if just for a week or so.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Another one I just thought of:

Terry Pratchett on Euthenasia. For those who don't know, he has Alzheimers and wants to end his own life. Follows 2 people who went through with it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

tallus wrote: »
    This one gets to me every time. James Stewart talking about his dog on the Johnny Carson show.

jesus h christ what are you trying to do to us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I can't believe Sopranos hasn't been mentioned yet. Loads to choose from, Pussy being shot, Sil being shot, Bobby being shot (there's a running theme there). Also Tony's dream sequence when he's just a business man in a hotel and Moby - When It's Cold I'd Like to Die is playing at the end.

But I picked this one, the last scene with Tony and Junior where Junior doesn't have a clue who he is.

FFS Man ever hear of a spoiler. I've only recently starte watching the boxset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

Feckin beaches......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Rachels funeral on Cold Feet - where they scatter her ashes and Coldplay's song "the scientist" is playing..
    cannot find a vid of it though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

In the Bridges Of Madison County when she is sitting in the truck with her husband and Robert Kincade is in the truck in front and she has her hand on the door ready to run to him but she decides to stay with her husband and Kincade puts the chain she gave him on the mirror and she sees it and breaks down crying but doesnt get out of the car .Kincade then drives away out of her life forever . I get a tug in my heart from crying at that scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Late Late:I remember on Late Late show only a few years ago where they brought on two kids from Limerick who were burnt by some scumbag threw a petrol bomb into their car while their mother went into the shop. A boy and a girl both under 6, all dressed but clearly covered in bandages underneath yet so chirpy and delighted especially when Tubs handed them some Toys.
    Lost: Desmond phone call to Penny in the Constant, so well edited and written, the previous scene he tell her he wont call for like 8 years and the conversation is so short but enought to save him. Plus Sayid is seperated from his love and looks on knowing how Desmond feels.

The end of "The Road" and also if anyone has you have seen War Horse, it has plenty of tear jerk moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

FFS muppet, why'd you watch it, the clue is in the title of the clip "The Sopranos-final scene between tony and junior" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Horrific horrific movie and that song I can't even listen to it without bawling:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Mickey's death in Rocky 3. What a legend of a man and was great in the Rocky series.

His death still gets to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REmLV4vMwlg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

mongdesade wrote: »
    FFS muppet, why'd you watch it, the clue is in the title of the clip "The Sopranos-final scene between tony and junior" :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the text in the post, and not the video, which does give away a lot of spoilers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

If people are going to write something or upload something, can you be considerate enough use the spoiler tag on certain things? i.e tv shows endings and youtube clips that have no description?:)

It saves people from screaming blue murder when they read or see a character who dies in a show, or some other significant event, they are following or beginning to watch. :cool:

Oh and that Bradford football ground fire was devastating:(

Sorry bud, once I saw firestarter's post I tried to edit my post but can't.

Good few spoilers all right but I kinda thought anyone who'd like Sopranos would have it seen it by now! It's been over 5 years and was huge at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Sorry bud, once I saw firestarter's post I tried to edit my post but can't.

Good few spoilers all right but I kinda thought anyone who'd like Sopranos would have it seen it by now! It's been over 5 years and was huge at the time.

I only finished watching it recently (boxsets) after starting to watch it when it started on Sky Atlantic a year or so ago. Best TV ever, so I would say there is a lot of people following it for the first time on Sky Atlantic, where it is in the middle of season 5, I think.

I just couldn't wait a week between episodes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

It was during the recent Bosnian war. A man evacuating his elderly mother away from the troubles with the only mode of transport he had - a wheelbarrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

When Pam woke up and it was all a dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Mickey's death in Rocky 3. What a legend of a man and was great in the Rocky series.

His death still gets to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REmLV4vMwlg

Aww yeah, I roar crying everytime I see that too! :(

I get a tad upset when Paulie gets his notice in "Rocky Balboa" too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When Boxer was taken to the knackers yard in Animal Farm.

I know it's daft in a way.But it's the second of silence after James Cromwell closes the gate,and then the crowd go wild........

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

BBC's "United" documenting the 1958 Munich Air Crash involving Manchester Uniteds Busby Babe, shockingly sad story.

p.oconnor wrote: »
    BBC's "United" documenting the 1958 Munich Air Crash involving Manchester Uniteds Busby Babe, shockingly sad story.

Good call. I thought David Tennent was superb in that.

Speaking of Dr Who as I was, the scene where he says goodbye to Rose. (With added Billie Piper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Today,

I was in harvey Normans, I came across a tele, 3D, HD, 42inchs, a gorgeous picture, motion and voice control. I WANTED IT

But 1849 fukcen euros, I cried and cried when I read that price.

BUT if I manage to stay of the cigs for 4 months, that will be my treat. I tell you that is good motivation. I WANT IT, I WANT IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

44leto wrote: »
    Today,

I was in harvey Normans, I came across a tele, 3D, HD, 42inchs, a gorgeous picture, motion and voice control. I WANTED IT

But 1849 fukcen euros, I cried and cried when I read that price.

BUT if I manage to stay of the cigs for 4 months, that will be my treat. I tell you that is good motivation. I WANT IT, I WANT IT

That is a bloody great idea. Plug in the aul PS3 and everything's gravy.

Advertisement