Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Televised moments that brought tears to your eyes.

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

That is a bloody great idea. Plug in the aul PS3 and everything's gravy.

Way ahead of you, it logics you spend a third of your life in bed a third in work and the rest in front of the tele. You might as well get the best tele on the market.

Its not really that outlandish as i spend about a 100 euro a week on the insidious fags, so 4 month 1600. I pick 4 months because if i get to 4 month not smoking I would consider myself off the yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

44leto wrote: »
    Today,

But 1849 fukcen euros, I cried and cried when I read that price.

BUT if I manage to stay of the cigs for 4 months, that will be my treat. I tell you that is good motivation. I WANT IT, I WANT IT

You spend over €460 a month cigarettes??? :eek::eek::eek: That's almost as much as my rent!

I hope for your sake you got your maths wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shellib

I watched a documentary on RTE recently enough called The Men of Arlington House, it was about all the Irish emigrants of the 60's and 70's who moved to Camden town and lived in a big hostel. When the work dried up and they hadn't made their millions they were too embarrassed to come home and some are still there now. Most turned to the drink and some killed themselves. I really thought it was relevant to now-a-days with all my friends moving away I just hope they all know that they can always come home! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

quickbeam wrote: »

Also a multitude of drink driving ads, especially the one featuring You Never Bring Me Flowers always got to me (couldn't find the clip).

http://www.visit4ads.com/advert/DOE-Drink-Drive-Campaign-You-Dont-Bring-Me-Flowers-Depart-of-Environment-DOE/56211

That one?

hypermuse wrote: »
    You spend over €460 a month cigarettes??? :eek::eek::eek: That's almost as much as my rent!

I hope for your sake you got your maths wrong!!

No unfortunately, its 9.10 a pack I smoke 30 to 40 a day so its a 100 plus a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Occupation 101 where the little girl talks about her things being destroyed made me bawl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

No unfortunately, its 9.10 a pack I smoke 30 to 40 a day so its a 100 plus a week.

Now THAT makes me sad! :( You are smoking away a brilliant holiday every 3 months! Or a new car upgrade every year! Like you could buy a new TV a month for that sort of money these days. Or pay half of a mortgage! That much money will easily sustain a child every month... you know it's all true!

+1 to Fry's dog in Futurama. And Toy Story 3 ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Republic of Ireland v Spain - World Cup 2002. We lost on penalty shoot out :(

positron wrote: »
    Now THAT makes me sad! :( You are smoking away a brilliant holiday every 3 months! Or a new car upgrade every year! Like you could buy a new TV a month for that sort of money these days. Or pay half of a mortgage! That much money will easily sustain a child every month... you know it's all true!

+1 to Fry's dog in Futurama. And Toy Story 3 ending.

Tell me about it, I know, and its not as if I can afford them and worse i am LITERALLY sending all that money up in smoke on something I really don't want to do. I was off them for 2 months this year and I seemed to be loaded, but I went back on them. But I am going off them again I am very confident of success this time.

So my new tele is only 3 to 4 months away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Tell me about it, I know, and its not as if I can afford them and worse i am LITERALLY sending all that money up in smoke on something I really don't want to do. I was off them for 2 months this year and I seemed to be loaded, but I went back on them. But I am going off them again I am very confident of success this time.

So my new tele is only 3 to 4 months away

I was the same, but swap to rollies and you will save yourself an absolute fortune, and there's a lot less chemicals in rollies too.

/ontopic
    I'm standing by Fry's dog in Futurama. I cannot watch that episode without getting sad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This little balls up by Phil Babb still makes my eyes watery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTzzm4sxAZM

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I was the same, but swap to rollies and you will save yourself an absolute fortune, and there's a lot less chemicals in rollies too.

/ontopic
    I'm standing by Fry's dog in Futurama. I cannot watch that episode without getting sad.

I was thinking that, but I just want shot of them now, which is why I know I will succeed, I really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Spook_ie wrote: »

I remember this one, anyone I'd spoken to about it couldn't at all though. I remember being in floods watching that as a kid! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Vanbis wrote: »
    Republic of Ireland v Spain - World Cup 2002. We lost on penalty shoot out :(

I'll never forget that morning, i remember watching a replay that evening on ITV and through some deluded clouded thought Given would save that final shot :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

Has to be Garry Lyons' eulogy for Jim Stynes. What makes it more moving is that if you know Garry Lyons personality he plays the typical one dimensional jack the lad always joking and full of bravado, check it out:

There is also a Documentary about Jim Stynes that is class and so emotional, definitely worth 40 minutes of your life:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

When that little girl , rue i think her name was got killed
    in the hunger games:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

brummytom wrote: »
    Nan dying in the Royle Family

something similar in Early Doors when Ken's (landlord in the Grapes) adopted daughter meets her real father for the first time.
    Craig Cash (Dave in the Royle Family) is a script writer in both series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

shellib wrote: »
    I watched a documentary on RTE recently enough called The Men of Arlington House, it was about all the Irish emigrants of the 60's and 70's who moved to Camden town and lived in a big hostel. When the work dried up and they hadn't made their millions they were too embarrassed to come home and some are still there now. Most turned to the drink and some killed themselves. I really thought it was relevant to now-a-days with all my friends moving away I just hope they all know that they can always come home! :(

A very moving documentary and well made to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

In the final episode of Frasier, Dr. Frasier Crane addresses his Seattle radio audience for one last time, with most of the major (and some minor) characters from the show's 11-year run standing outside his now famous radio booth looking on with pride. As these lines were delivered, I found myself in near tears as I realised one of the greatest comedy shows ever was coming to a close:

"It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
    It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
    And though we are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are—
    [Scene shifts to Frasier’s KACL booth.]
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will;
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    I’ve been thinking about that poem a lot lately. And I think what it says is that, while it’s tempting to play it safe, the more we’re willing to risk, the more alive we are. In the end, what we regret most are the chances we never took. And I hope that explains, at least a little, this journey on which I am about to embark. I have loved every minute with my KACL family, and all of you. For eleven years you've heard me say, "I’m listening." Well, you were listening, too. And for that I am eternally grateful. Goodnight, Seattle. -Dr. Frasier Crane

Great speech to end a great show...

• Advertisement
Advertisement