Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR council dishing footpaths in entire estates?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the council goes in and dishes the foothpaths in entire estates in one go?
    And if they do, do they ask the residents to contribute to paying for it?

I ask as I'm looking at a place in Rathfarnham and see that the council have dished the footpaths outside nearly all the houses, even the ones with without drives - except the one I'm looking at and the one across the road. There doesn't seem to be any planning/visability issue in putting a drive in these houses - I checked planning decisions too and nothing showed up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

what does dishing mean in this context.?is it like lowering part of the footpaths,for bike acess .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

riclad wrote: »
    what does dishing mean in this context.?is it like lowering part of the footpaths,for bike acess .

Lowering to allow cars in to a driveway; in situations where this wasn't built in originally. Quite common in older (pre 70s) estates to have a front garden big enough for a driveway, but no driveway present and hence no drop in the kerb height.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do need planning permission to put in driveway. There normally isn't a difficulty getting permission, provided you do it right.
    WLSM wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the council goes in and dishes the foothpaths in entire estates in one go?
    It is unlikely that they would do an entire estate in one go, unless they were re-doing the footpaths anyway.

It would tend to be done in an ad-hoc fashion, possibly in batches, e.g a half dozen in neighbouring streets done in the one week.
    WLSM wrote: »
    And if they do, do they ask the residents to contribute to paying for it?
    If you request it, you normally have to pay for it - typically €500-1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭WLSM

Thx, yip, know I'd have to apply for planning and pay but I was just wondering why the council didn't do this house already since they did nearly all the others.

It's in Loreto, they put in new footpaths in the estate and dished nearly all except this one. They put in a new footpath in front of this house but didn't dish it - I thought it was either due to the resident not paying for it as they didn't request it or that the council believe for some reason it shouldn't be dished. Looking at other houses which don't have driveways, they dished them too.

I've asked the council but haven't got a response yet, not really expecting one.

They may have asked for a contribution, that is only payable when a drive is put in or some variant thereof.

They might be less likely to allow an entrance at a junction.

Interesting that they re-did the footpaths and people still park on them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Dobedo

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a house in D7 which has a drive way already, but the pavement/footpath outside the house is not 'dished' or lowered.

I understand I'll have to check with the countil about this as it could be a issue if no planning permission was given, but also there is a drain on the pavement right outside the house driveway entrance, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if the council might have refused the pp because of the drain?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If the Council is dishing footpaths in Council social housing estates it will generally do them all

Owners of private homes who want the footpath dished to accommodate a driveway will have to pay individually for the privilege, rates vary Council to Council

Incidentally, if you live in DLR and you want to add a driveway to a house where the road outside is pay and display parking, you have to pay the Council between €5-15,000 to get rid of the few metres of parking bay!!!!!!!!!!

I imagine there is no planning permission.

I don't think the council would refuse do to the drain, but may charge more than the usual fee, so that the area around the drain can be reinforced.

Advertisement