Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance work & Tax

Options
  • 21-04-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I have a possibility of doing a few websites for people I know.
    Am thinking I will forget it as I cant as I am not a sole trader!
    But thought I would ask on here to see if anyone has been in the same situation or has info they can share!

If I was to take them on,
    Is it possible that I can pay tax and do them legally without having to reg as a soletrader?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

im not sure if you can do it legally without registering as a sole trader - i think i remember that if you are under a certain (very low) income you dont have to register but i cant remember.

registering is very easy - i did it 6 years ago in ireland (not registered anymore) just called my local tax office and gave my pps number and told them what i was doing - at the end of my second year trading i did my first (and second) returns so there was no rush.

why would you be against registering? remember as a sole trader you can claim expenses for anything related to the work you do - as a paye worker you cannnot
    so you could claim for computers - travel (if needed strictly for the work) etc....

FT

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

Am unemployed and am preferring the idea of hopefully finding a job as opposed to setting up as self employed!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

So I assume theres no point on taking on a tiny bit of work as a freelancer as O would have to become self employed?

Can you not just take on the jobs, charge what you require, and tell Social Welfare you got work for X amount of days (think you need to actually tell them in advance) and they simply don't pay you for the days worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

1. It is extremely easy to register as a sole trader, it can all be done in one day. cro.ie.

2. I don't think you actually need to register with the CRO if you trade under your own name. Email them to find out for sure.

3. Ask in the social welfare office if they can suspend payments while you are working on the sites. I believe they are willing to do this 4 weeks each year and they have a scheme where they don't pay you each day you work on the sites. Ask them.

4. Being registered as a sole trader will not harm your chances of landing a job. In fact if you are looking to work in a related area having a recent portfolio of websites can only help.

5. Revenue.ie will provide you with all the info you need and when it comes time to pay their pay and file service is easx to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement