Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi security key/password

Options
  • 21-04-2012 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm working in a school but I can't connect to the school's wifi because nobody seems to know the security key that I need to connect.

There may be a very simple solution but I haven't got a clue. :confused:

Can anyone help me? Please and thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

Are you an end user or an IT Teacher (assigned with IT role) !?

As an end user,i advise you to contact the IT teacher,IT Consultant / Support or the Principal of the school.

If you the IT Teacher,look at the back of the router (the box that suppose to have some funny looking antennas) and you'll see a reset button.Press it and hold it for 30 seconds or until lights flashes.Then follow the instructions to connect locally (wired) and reset the security key.Each router will have his own set of how to do it ! Let us know what type is it...

If you are based in Dublin,as a boards member,i can do a support call ,free of charge in your school and attempt a recovery of the current settings or i can reset and reconfigure the wireless for the access.
    Also,i guess that you have permission from Principal to access the routing equipment ! :)

PM an address and we can take it from there.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You do not need to reset a router, just login when plugged in and you'll see the key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have asked the other teachers and principal and none of them know what it is. I also checked the router because I know sometimes the key can be written on it somewhere, but all i could find was a serial number or something.

I am not in Dublin but thank you for the offer Ctrl Alt Del. :)

I think I'll just talk to the principal again first and see if they kept the box the router came in because the sec key would surely be written in there somewhere, if not I think there is a computer guy that does everything technology related for the school.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have asked the other teachers and principal and none of them know what it is. I also checked the router because I know sometimes the key can be written on it somewhere, but all i could find was a serial number or something.

I am not in Dublin but thank you for the offer Ctrl Alt Del. :)

I think I'll just talk to the principal again first and see if they kept the box the router came in because the sec key would surely be written in there somewhere, if not I think there is a computer guy that does everything technology related for the school.

Thanks again

What make router is it? it could be set to a default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I haven't a clue, but I've figured it out how I can use one of the already connected laptops to show the password so I think I'm sorted!

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

I haven't a clue, but I've figured it out how I can use one of the already connected laptops to show the password so I think I'm sorted!

Thanks for the help!

That's correct ...in windows 7 you can "read" security key !
    Happy day...

PS
    i hope you've created a memo and pass it over to Principal,just in case... :)

Advertisement