Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aldi water butt

Options
  • 21-04-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

anyone know how this is connected to the down pipe. is it difficult for someone not good at that sort of job? I want to collect fresh water for the houseplant as I think the flouride and chlorine does them no good at all.

Hope this is the rightplace it s the nearest i see

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're generall connected with a diverter which will sit at the same level as the top of the water in the butt; it'll flow into the butt when the level is below the diverter, or back into the pipe when the butt is full. you'll have to saw the pipe and take about an inch out, but as far as i can remember, you'll need a way to stop the bottom section of the pipe slipping downwards.

do you have many potted plants?
    my advice would be to get a 200l one; a few weeks of a dry spell and you'd go through 100l quickly enough; we have a 100l one and i've emptied it a couple of times.

if you have the space, a 200l one would only be about €15 or €20 more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very easy to install, make sure your pipes are plastic and not metal though or it'll be a harder job.
    I installed one recently and only tool needed was a hacksaw, took about 10 minutes to do and works great. Make sure to have the base on as level a surface as possible or the barrel will overflow. A 100l barrel wont take long to fill at all, I'd go for a 200L one if possible, with water rates coming in your pocket will thank you in future years.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hugebogtotter

A 10 step guide to installing a water butt.
    http://purchase.ie/advice/assembling-water-butt-kit/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

Advertisement