Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To pursue degree or not.....

Options
  • 21-04-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Guys.

I currently hold a qualification that can advance me into year 3 of a four year part-time degree.The degree in Business in Accounting but accountancy is something I feel I will be *miserable* doing for the rest of my days.

I'm at an age now where time is a factor but I feel I need a degree to get decent job that I can progress in.The subjects in this degree are obviously accounting orientated but I'm wondering is there a way for me to branch out of accounting/number crunching in general.

I know that this degree is accepted to do hDip for post primary but don't feel that an options due to lack of employment in teaching at the moment.

I am desperate to get a degree but is it really a good idea to pursue this degree for the sake of getting one even if i hate the subjects? I have a young family and need to work so will be making significant sacrafices.

I am very distressed over this situation so would really appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think a degree is the absolute minimum for any kind of decent job nowadays.

For the relative pain of one year, I think it would be worth it.
    buzzb123 wrote: »
    I'm at an age now where time is a factor but I feel I need a degree to get decent job that I can progress in.The subjects in this degree are obviously accounting orientated but I'm wondering is there a way for me to branch out of accounting/number crunching in general.

Yes, you can generally branch our of one are and into another, once you have a degree. I know somebody who has done an Arts degree and is now doing a masters in marketing. My background is ICT, I am now studying education.

So it can be done. But can you branch out into another degree with your current qualifications? That the question, I would say possibly not. But you could apply for RPL - recognition of prior learning - which could exempt you from some modules in a non-accounting degree programme. It could possibly put you in 2nd year of a programme (so obviously would take you longer).

Advertisement