Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Camera screen

Options
  • 21-04-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Is this the right forum?

I have a Sony cybershot DSC-W55 camera that I was given a few years ago but got caught in a heavy wind and had the screen shattered. Camera continues to work ok, but focusing is limited since it has to be through the eyehole if not completely estimated. Also there is no way to look at photos without downloading to a computer.

It has occurred to me after having seen somebody I'm acquainted with replace a camcorder screen last year that I might be able to order a screen for this online and fit it myself. I'm just wondering on the practicality of this.
    Otherwise I was quoted roughly €60 to get the screen replaced by a computer related repairshop in Galway. Or I could continue using the camera without the electronic screen as I have done for the last couple of years.
    I'm feeling a bit attached to the thing and don't see myself able to afford to buy a new one for the next while. Which is also why I don't want to pay €60 for the replacement screen unless I have to.

So I was wondering if replacing the screen was something I should be able to do myself without previous experience of the same task. If there are a large amount of leads that need to be reconnected with special tools or anything. Or if it is a straight forward process that I should be able to do if I keep a meticulous eye on what i'm doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you priced the part anywhere? The outfit who are offering to repair it for €60 will be able to buy it at a trade price but by the time you buy the part and pay shipping, you may not have much change out of €50 which would make the professional repair job a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Does seem much cheaper. I'm seeing new replacement screens for between €9 and €15 plus p+p.

Advertisement