Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulherin's 'fornication' statements described as primitive

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Oldtree wrote: »
    IMO two people co-habiting and in a relationship are more or less married and are regarded likewise. Then it follows that the majority of cases of abortion occur within marriage in that context.

Right, but the stats are only for people who are actually married, not your definition of marriage which is ridiculous.

The majority of abortions occur amongst unmarried people, with the instability of their relationships one of the 'reasons' why they go ahead with the termination of their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Born-again Christians meeting?

article-2133351-12B4DFBD000005DC-741_468x484.jpg

article-2133351-12B4DFCB000005DC-770_224x261.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Jim2007 wrote: »
    thysich wrote: »
    And you think that voicing your religious views is a negative in Mayo? The Catholic "Mecca" of Ireland. Most visited County in Ireland after dublin.?

Like it said time will tell, but I have my doubts. It certainly has not helped other candidates...

She's shot herself in both feet now. Liberals won't touch her with her hard line anti abortion stance, holy joes like those thysich thinks she'll attract won't be endeared to her partner's dumping of a teenager bringing up his child while she preaches righteously to the rest of us about 'fornication'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

In Ballina everyone knows exactly who she is.. We have no surprises this week.

She worked hard here for many years and is well liked.. And she is not the only one around here with Christian Beliefs.

At least she lives them and its always showed.. She is hard working and people who know her know that.. And it wasn't just Catholics who voted for her.

That may well be the case, but there is no denying the anti Fine Fail vote and Fine Fail non-voters in the last election so I think that TD's can take cold comfort in that as a basis to build on for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The majority of abortions occur amongst unmarried people, with the instability of their relationships one of the 'reasons' why they go ahead with the termination of their child.

WTF? So only married couples can have happy relationships?

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    WTF? So only married couples can have happy relationships?

By instability I mean there are reasons why they choose to abort their child e.g. finance, fear, lack of commitment etc.

If a couple choose that they cannot allow their child to be born, there is something wrong there, and more often than not, it is the lack of commitment or instable nature of their relationship.

This does not go for all couples unmarried-you chose to see it that way.

OldTree incorrectly said that it is married people who abort in the majority, but she is very wrong.

mikom wrote: »
    Beware the born-again Christian.
    Like the reformed smoker, and reformed drinker they will often try to ram their fervent attitudes down your throat.

Mod Note - Hearsay is dangerous, don't be posting comments like that on here please.

Nice and handy the way you can just press Ctrl, Alt, Delete, and start again.

Like a link?

Mod Note - Papers don't refuse ink, so keep that out of this thread thanks.

mikom wrote: »
    Like a link?

Who cares? As long as she didn't have the 'love-child', there is no hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

just speed reading through the comments here and I feel the need to point out that this speech by Michelle Mulherin was after a petetion from Clare Daily on legalizing abortion in cases where the mothers life is at risk. This has little to do with Michelle's view that 'fornication' is the primary cause for unwanted pregnancy. The basis of the x-case was a person whom had been raped and impregnated by the rapist. In that case if the person wants to abort the child they should have every right to.
    Further more it's has been decreed by 2 referendum's, 70% of doctors and the supreme court the the will of the majority of people is that in exceptional circumstances the route to abortion should be allowed.
    I believe that it's Michelle's religious belief's she is afferming here, something that I have always felt should be separate to politics or education for that matter.
    I fear all this TD has done is highlight her religious beliefs which, I think, has undermined her political power. Either way as a country we should be ashamed.

Right, but the stats are only for people who are actually married, not your definition of marriage which is ridiculous.

it's actually not ridiculous, it's law. granted they are one and the same at times but a cohabiting couple have the same rights in law as a married couple there for your wrong.

• Advertisement

I guess once you are born again all is forgiven :rolleyes:

and what if she did have the "love child" that would be her decision, not yours, and even if she decided not to that is not your decision either. qed

Who cares?
    The mothers who have to travel to the UK who have no other choice.
    Them for a start.

Nice the way she had the "choice" to hook up with Born-again-Billy

Surely the hypocrisy is that she is standing in the Dail spouting her belief's (which she is entitled to) on causes of unwanted pregnancy and her religiously bias view on abortion and on a personal level having an on going relationship with a person who seems to fly in the face of said belief's.

How would she react to fictional Mr. A, a man who fathered a child with a girl half his age and who has not supported the child. I would believe if her comments to date are anything to go by that she would look on him as a bad father, bad role model, and someone who should be held accountable yet she is happy to be in a 'special' relationship with him. there's your god damn hypocrisy for you.

it's actually not ridiculous, it's law. granted they are one and the same at times but a cohabiting couple have the same rights in law as a married couple there for your wrong.

Marriage is marriage. Co-habiting couples are not married unless they have registered as married.

Also, the irony of your last sentence is interesting-take a closer look.

The abortion stats suggest it is those not married who make up the majority of abortion-seekers.

Try to dispute that.

Marriage is marriage. Co-habiting couples are not married unless they have registered as married.

Also, the irony of your last sentence is interesting-take a closer look.

The abortion stats suggest it is those not married who make up the majority of abortion-seekers.

Try to dispute that.

ok, firstly *facepalm.
    Second, I clearly stated it's LAW that I refer to. In the eyes of THE LAW cohabiting couples have the same rights as married couples. I care not for the religious definition of marriage in this specific case.
    Finally 'the stats' have no relevance on the x-case.
    are you just trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Harry, What good is a rambling idiot politician who puts their foot in it? We need educated, well spoken, non religiously biassed people to bring us forward, not a clown like this

I don't recall anything in my post that suggests I believe in any need for a rambling politician. I have no time for Deputy Mulherin which should have been clear from my comments. I am grateful she keeps as quiet as she does and hopefully come the next election that will be one less FG seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I don't recall anything in my post that suggests I believe in any need for a rambling politician. I have no time for Deputy Mulherin which should have been clear from my comments. I am grateful she keeps as quiet as she does and hopefully come the next election that will be one less FG seat.

Good, she's not got a hope next time, now she's turned out to be Dana reloaded

Well last I checked it was MY DEMOCRATIC RIGHT!!!!.....

Yes our Political system is a farce.. 12 years of FF and billions of debt. Deputy Mulherin is no farce.

As councillor in Ballina she was one of the few politicians that actually did do something.

So we voted for her as TD on her merits. And I would vote for her again regardless of her personal beliefs.

Any what is wrong with speaking your mind in Ireland.. Its not 17 centenary Ireland where Catholics had to shut up and practise our faith behind closed doors.

She did damn all as a councillor and she has no merit politically in North Mayo that I have seen in any way, shape or form. She was elected purely and simply because she was not a FF candidate, she is considered of limited ability by many within FG and I know many FG people who would not vote for her.

Good, she's not got a hope next time, now she's turned out to be Dana reloaded

While I have issues with the few views she manages to express, my biggest issue is the hint of hypocrisy and the selective picking of those scriptures when applied on a personal level. Severe hints of do as I say, not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

I'm much more amused by the seething outrage of the Femmo's. Ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i voted for michelle, had i any idea that
    she was a bible basher i wouldnt have,
    i live and work in ballina and followed
    the election coverage / propoganda ( whatever you want to call it ) reasonably closely
    and i half-know her through work
    and to my mind there was nothing that
    really flagged her as really religous
    but its her right to believe in whatever she
    wants and fair play to her for having the courage
    of her convictions
    but its not who i want representing me.. and she
    wont get my vote next time

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

come the next election, she'll have more time for staring at the sun in Knock... Maybe she's been staring at the sun too much.

Can't 'bate a little fornication ; D

thysick: "Any what is wrong with speaking your mind in Ireland.. Its not 17 centenary Ireland where Catholics had to shut up and practise our faith behind closed doors."

Aye, speaking your mind like a half-penny book thysick. Idiotic thoughts should remain unheard. Catholicism is a faith that should stay behind your closed doors and not be heard either.
    Knock, the c a th o l i c mecca of Ireland indeed, that must be where all the catho l i c- talibanists hang out *sarc.*
    kaputt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I clearly stated it's LAW that I refer to. In the eyes of THE LAW cohabiting couples have the same rights as married couples.

They don't.
    woody1 wrote: »
    i voted for michelle, had i any idea that
    she was a bible basher i wouldnt have,

Hardly bible-bashing, unless by that you mean that no mention of religion at all should be permissible in public life. If you actually read the part of her Dáil contribution which has caused all the fuss, what she actually said was the fact that abortion is considered a sin by religious people is no more reason to make it illegal than other sins which aren't illegal - like fornication:

Abortion as murder, and therefore sin, which is the religious argument, is no more sinful from a scriptural point of view than all other sins we do not legislate against, such as greed, hate and fornication, the latter - fornication - being probably the single most likely cause of unwanted pregnancies in this country. At the end of the day, however, it is the nature of religion to fuss over appearances above the truth and the inner state of the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

gizmo555 wrote: »
    They don't.

Hardly bible-bashing, unless by that you mean that no mention of religion at all should be permissible in public life. If you actually read the part of her Dáil contribution which has caused all the fuss, what she actually said was the fact that abortion is considered a sin by religious people is no more reason to make it illegal than other sins which aren't illegal - like fornication:

Abortion as murder, and therefore sin, which is the religious argument, is no more sinful from a scriptural point of view than all other sins we do not legislate against, such as greed, hate and fornication, the latter - fornication - being probably the single most likely cause of unwanted pregnancies in this country. At the end of the day, however, it is the nature of religion to fuss over appearances above the truth and the inner state of the person.

plus one

Nobody is obliged to agree with MM but she is one politician who says her piece without teh help of Terry Prone or her likes

They don't.

Thanks. Some people around here are lacking basic general knowledge, it seems.

I can think of one ^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 thysich

She did damn all as a councillor and she has no merit politically in North Mayo that I have seen in any way, shape or form. She was elected purely and simply because she was not a FF candidate, she is considered of limited ability by many within FG and I know many FG people who would not vote for her.

Well she is doing more for Ballina now that D. Calleary, Since he got promoted to be FF national voice he has forgotten about Ballina.

Yes a lot of FG candidates got elected because they were not FF. Lets wait until the next election to see if she remains.. I would not write her off just yet, You would be surprised of the Christian base in Mayo that will vote for her. Fine if we don't want Christian values in our society.. But its 2012 not 1712 and we are allowed to opening voice our opinions instead of having to hide our faith like 300 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 thysich

They don't.

@gizmo555 sadly people rush to judge based on the media spin put on words taken out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

They don't.

@gizmo555 sadly people rush to judge based on the media spin put on words taken out of context.
    To be frank, how can her words be taken out of context when the entire dail proceedings and debate are freely available online thus the comments leading up to her absurd outburst are there for all to see?

• Advertisement

To be frank, how can her words be taken out of context when the entire dail proceedings and debate are freely available online thus the comments leading up to her absurd outburst are there for all to see?

Out of context with the lord........

Advertisement