Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulherin's 'fornication' statements described as primitive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

finisklin wrote: »
    This is just another example of ill judged and poorly considered comments from a profound thinker, albeit slightly creative, legal eagle that is completely out of touch with her constituents.

I would say honest and open minded... She said what she thought. Just because she did not give us some bullsh1t politically correct nonsense all of a sudden its ill judged and poorly considered.......FGS its 2012 and we should not be jumping down her throat because she voiced an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Finiskiln

I believe MM is in touch wirh her constituents.

She has worked as a solicitor in Ballina for some time.

She has served on the local Town Council for a number of terms and on the COunty Council for at least one term.

Then she canvassed for and was elected to Dáil Eireann.

How much more in touch can one be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

nuac wrote: »
    Finiskiln

I believe MM is in rouch wirh her constituents.

She has served on the local Town Council for a number of terms and on the COunty Council for at least one term.

Talk to people she canvassed and see what opinion some have of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Talk to people she canvassed and see what opinion some have of her.

Some, no doubt, don't have a high opinion of her. That doesn't necessarily mean she won't get enough support to be re-elected, come the time.

As for her now infamous "fornication" contribution, well agree or disagree, at least it was a contribution, unlike many others who just keep their heads down and draw their salaries, e.g.:

Fewest contributions to Dáil debates in 2010:

Bertie Ahern (0)
    Jackie Healy-Rae (1)
    Michael Woods (1)
    Christy O’Sullivan (2)
    Eamon Scanlon (3)
    Dr Rory O’Hanlon (3)
    Tom Kitt (3)
    Noel Grealish (3)
    Michael Fitzpatrick (3)
    Michael Lowry (3)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Some, no doubt, don't have a high opinion of her. That doesn't necessarily mean she won't get enough support to be re-elected, come the time.

As for her now infamous "fornication" contribution, well agree or disagree, at least it was a contribution, unlike many others who just keep their heads down and draw their salaries, e.g.:

Fewest contributions to Dáil debates in 2010:

Bertie Ahern (0)
    Jackie Healy-Rae (1)
    Michael Woods (1)
    Christy O’Sullivan (2)
    Eamon Scanlon (3)
    Dr Rory O’Hanlon (3)
    Tom Kitt (3)
    Noel Grealish (3)
    Michael Fitzpatrick (3)
    Michael Lowry (3)

They will tell you that she did not engage much in her campaigns, she let her canvassers do the talking while she hovered in the background so how in touch is she. To say at least she is contributing is not a great reference for anyone. I would rather someone speak once and say something worthwhile than speak ten times and throw out the kind of nonsense she has on Libya and fornication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Finiskiln

I believe MM is in touch wirh her constituents.

I didn't realise one had to be a solicitor to be in touch with a community no more than a butcher, baker and candlestick maker?

Who in this day and age use's the term fornication to describe sex between unmarried couples? Perhaps her constituents? Fellow solicitors? Fellow Councillors? Fellow TDs? Her canvassers?

The acid test will be at the next election.....

Fin
    My point in saying that she is a solicitor is tnat in that job you are continually meeting members of the public. One meets different people from year to year. In some cases the solicitor would visit clients' houses, and get to know their problems etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

They will tell you that she did not engage much in her campaigns, she let her canvassers do the talking while she hovered in the background so how in touch is she.

One way or another, she convinced enough people to vote for her to get elected.
    To say at least she is contributing is not a great reference for anyone. I would rather someone speak once and say something worthwhile than speak ten times and throw out the kind of nonsense she has on Libya and fornication.

Well, at least you know where she stands, and now you do, you're clear you don't want to vote for her. To that extent, she's done you a service. Better that than the "whatever you say, say nothing" style of so many politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mayo wanted a Taoiseach....... this swell helped Mulherin.

Mulherin seeks Dail ban on jeans and T shirts. From here

She is going to be taking on some formidable independents in this initiative - Ming, RBB et al.

Not sure if this is the most pressing issue facing the country or the Dail for that matter? :rolleyes:

Cheap publicity stunt perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I have seriously had enough of this woman 'representing' my constituency in the Dail. If we are to lose a TD in Mayo next time it has got to be her. She will be no loss whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

is "two fingers" a descriptive swear word worthy of confession??? ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

She is going to be taking on some formidable independents in this initiative - Ming, RBB et al.

Not sure if this is the most pressing issue facing the country or the Dail for that matter? :rolleyes:

Cheap publicity stunt perhaps?

T-shirt + Jeans + Trainers = Anarchy :D

Seriously, she brings it on herself this one. They can wear boardshorts and sandals for all I care as long as they do their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yah, they should all be wearing Hugo boss suits.
    You know Hugo boss..... the one that made the Hitler Youth, storm trooper and SS uniforms.

This woman is a fool.
    Please Mayo see sense and give her the boot at the next election so that she can spend more time in church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I thought we moved away from Charvet shirts?

See Mid West have copied it from the Indo, here.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    T-shirt + Jeans + Trainers = Anarchy :D

Seriously, she brings it on herself this one. They can wear boardshorts and sandals for all I care as long as they do their jobs.

A sure its all ok.. Let wallis milk is business dry paying himself a dividend.. transfer 500K in assets in Italy to his brother.. Defraud tax man and come into the dail in a t-shirt saying he is sorry.

Its a great country... Dress code is really the least of it.. You are 100% right they should do their jobs.. But I kind of always think if you don't show respect on the outside it does reflect something. Like guys who make no effort in dressing for an interview.. Which is fine if you have a PHD and lots of experience.. But Wallis is 1st timer in the dail.. not exactly untainted.

I have a similar view in that Ming always looks well turned out despite not wearing a tie, taking some pride in his appearance, wheras Mick looked disheveled and not someone I could take pride in representing Ireland. A gimMICK gone too far. :D:D

Oldtree wrote: »
    I have a similar view in that Ming always looks well turned out despite not wearing a tie, taking some pride in his appearance, wheras Mick looked disheveled and not someone I could take pride in representing Ireland. A gimMICK gone too far. :D:D

Good point Ming does present well... Given his hippy views on soft drugs.. atleast he makes an effort to act like a TD.

And mick falsified his returns, slack dresser slack administrator, and now he's going to use the taxpayers money to pay back a small percentage of the outstanding money. Good man for canceling his poland holiday (while the dail is still sitting) good to see he has his priorities right. man of the people? dont think so. More gobsh*te public imagry from mick like these gobsh*te hat people: A disgrace to the country. I have to ask what kind of people vote them in? Same goes for michelle and her utterings?

209471.jpg

• Advertisement

To be fair it can be argued that many who voted for Mulherin werent aware of the scale of her inabilities as a politician. I would hope that the Mayo electorate will not make the same mistake twice. Those who vote in the Healy Rae dynasty have no such excuse. They've been around for long enough.

To be fair it can be argued that many who voted for Mulherin werent aware of the scale of her inabilities as a politician. I would hope that the Mayo electorate will not make the same mistake twice. Those who vote in the Healy Rae dynasty have no such excuse. They've been around for long enough.

Her abilities are just fine.... Or are you suggesting that Back benchers should just shut up and be quiet.

What abilities does a Politician need? Just so we are clear where she is lacking.

qrrgprgua wrote: »

Her abilities are just fine.... Or are you suggesting that Back benchers should just shut up and be quiet.

What abilities does a Politician need? Just so we are clear where she is lacking.

The ability to put together a coherent, logical argument about the issues that are of most relevance to her electorate.

The only ability (or qualification) a politician needs is the courage (or the liathroidi) to stand before the electorate and get more votes than the next person. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether they have anything to contribute or not takes a back seat to securing their re-election in 5 years. All their work goes towards this goal.

Has MM contributions added to her future re-election? I think this is the point of the thread and has been well covered here.

The attached paints a different picture than the one of the two Healy Raes. I couldn't get one from her appearance on The Saturday Night Show but either one make an interesting contrast to Jackie.

Are they in the same league?

Actually, looking at the two pictures, herself and MHR would actually make a very suitable couple! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The ability not to come across as a simple minded puritan from the dark ages would be a start, I reckon.

Fair play to Inda, he's getting major stick from MM, Johnno and Ringer over this.

Isn't it supposed to be an independent commission?

So why should EK get stick over it?

• Advertisement

Isn't it supposed to be an independent commission?

So why should EK get stick over it?

Yes your right, this is perhaps the first truly independent constituency commission in that it's a first that a serving Taoiseach's constituency has been affected.

Correct me if I am wrong but was it not Inda that proposed reform of the dail and the number of TDs in the first place?

On another level I have reservations about how any committee/commission/body appointed by and paid by the state can truly be independent - recent history is littered with these examples and the constituency commission is no different, even if the the chair is a justice. His position was bestowed as a result of his political allegiance's in the first instance, IMHO.

Given that it was Inda's right hand man, Big Phil, that signed the order for the commission in the first instance confirms the political input.

The next couple of back benchers and parliamentary party meeting will be interesting, if not feisty affairs.

Who knows we might see more measured, considered & relevant contributions from some of the Mayo TDs.

Advertisement