Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulherin's 'fornication' statements described as primitive

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

finisklin wrote: »
    On another level I have reservations about how any committee/commission/body appointed by and paid by the state can truly be independent...
    What's the alternative? An electoral commission that isn't appointed and paid for by the state?

Sometimes you just have to accept that independence comes from the integrity of the people who are tasked with it.
    Given that it was Inda's right hand man, Big Phil, that signed the order for the commission in the first instance confirms the political input.
    Or it could confirm that it's his job to do so as the relevant minister.
    Who knows we might see more measured, considered & relevant contributions from some of the Mayo TDs.
    *snigger*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Her abilities are just fine.... Or are you suggesting that Back benchers should just shut up and be quiet.

What abilities does a Politician need? Just so we are clear where she is lacking.

She is clueless, I have seen her on many occasions and to say she has no idea whats she is talking about is an understatement. Her acceptance speech after the count in Castlebar was one of the most cringeworthy moments I have ever seen. I would expect a politician to at least be able to string their thoughts together in a sensible sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    What's the alternative? An electoral commission that isn't appointed and paid for by the state?

Sometimes you just have to accept that independence comes from the integrity of the people who are tasked with it. Or it could confirm that it's his job to do so as the relevant minister. *snigger*

I don't have the answer to this one and I find it difficult to trust the integrity of anyone in public life or in public/civil administration. Recent events unfortunately point to a very low scale with regard to ethics and serving the public.

Minister for Environment is a key post as it is from here that key functions of the state are controlled. The fact that big Phil secured this plum role was perhaps less of his ability to do the job but more to work with Inda on pressing through key initiatives such as the household charge etc.

Just when you thought it was safe that this thread was dead and buried along with the archaic term 'fornication' and here I go and drag it up agin.

Looks like MM can't leave well enough alone and in her wisdom has decided to offer the benefit of her experience and insight into 50 shades of grey on tomorrow night's Brendan O'Connor show, from here.

For those constituents of MM that are unaware of what 50 shades of grey is or are unfamiliar with the term fornication, more here.

I wonder if we will get the benefit of her experience into this shady world of S&M, bondage and submission? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You know what, I think I will be washing my hair tomorrow night. I'd rather watch paint dry. Though I will make a mental note along with her fornication comments that I can drag up agin come election time to remind her constituents of her impact. ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just when you thought it was safe that this thread was dead and buried along with the archaic term 'fornication' and here I go and drag it up agin.

Looks like MM can't leave well enough alone and in her wisdom has decided to offer the benefit of her experience and insight into 50 shades of grey on tomorrow night's Brendan O'Connor show, from here.

For those constituents of MM that are unaware of what 50 shades of grey is or are unfamiliar with the term fornication, more here.

I wonder if we will get the benefit of her experience into this shady world of S&M, bondage and submission? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You know what, I think I will be washing my hair tomorrow night. I'd rather watch paint dry. Though I will make a mental note along with her fornication comments that I can drag up agin come election time to remind her constituents of her impact. ;)

I thought she'd be more likely to stage a book burning rather than read 50 shades of grey. I hope she went to confession when she finished it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Is this an addendum to t he Forty Shades of Green? - some of the FGs can be quite republican minded

Saw the BOC show. Purely for t he purposes of research and to see what all the fuss was about.

I think she did well.

MM does make the odd statement which grabs headlines. I know her for years as a good soiicitor and a hard-working councillor

nuac wrote: »
    Saw the BOC show. Purely for t he purposes of research and to see what all the fuss was about.

I think she did well.

MM does make the odd statement which grabs headlines. I know her for years as a good soiicitor and a hard-working councillor

Did her interpretation of 50 shades of grey match your understanding of the book?

Did her interpretation of 50 shades of grey match your understanding of the book?

Haven't read it. Have too many others in the house to read first.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What was her interpretation of it?

• Advertisement

Haven't read it. Have too many others in the house to read first.

Crikey, you must be an expert on S&M, domination and submission at this stage.;)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What was her interpretation of it?

It's a love story.....go figure. :eek:

Crikey, you must be an expert on S&M, domination and submission at this stage.;)

Nope

Boring topics such as history. politics, law, economics etc

No interest in S&M at my age - not even a thong at twilight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Nope

Boring topics such as history. politics, law, economics etc

No interest in S&M at my age - not even a thong at twilight

Don't have the energy for it either at my age... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Was reading that this morning, its embarrassing at this stage. Would swear she was an 80 year old ex nun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'd say she never had enough of men who would want to give her stank-self a threesome..So she's just jealous.:pac:

It's at the stage that I couldn't give a sh*te what she comes out with - she's consistently brutal and she ain't gonna make it next time around.

The article seems to encourage promiscuity amongst 16 year olds.

Michelle criticised it. She was correct to do so, imho

The article seems to encourage promiscuity amongst 16 year olds.
    16 year olds have sex. Deal with it. The sooner we get over the farcical Catholic/Puritan theory that pretending they don't will prevent them from doing so, and that talking to teenagers about sex other than to tell them that they'll go to hell if they do will spontaneously cause them to erupt into a frenzy of promiscuity, the sooner we'll have some success in cutting down on unwanted teen pregnancies and STIs.

• Advertisement

They didn't encourage anything, they gave the pros and cons.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    16 year olds have sex. Deal with it. The sooner we get over the farcical Catholic/Puritan theory that pretending they don't will prevent them from doing so, and that talking to teenagers about sex other than to tell them that they'll go to hell if they do will spontaneously cause them to erupt into a frenzy of promiscuity, the sooner we'll have some success in cutting down on unwanted teen pregnancies and STIs.

OB Yes I know about 16 year olds, and have been able to "deal with it". I believe a parent's duty is to be availabe to one's children as they develope and to be able to discuss these issues with them. Been there, done that, successfully.

I would not have regarded recommendations about three somes as helpful in that project

OB Yes I know about 16 year olds, and have been able to "deal with it". I believe a parent's duty is to be availabe to one's children as they develope and to be able to discuss these issues with them. Been there, done that, successfully.

I would not have regarded recommendations about three somes as helpful in that project

One again, they are not promoting threesomes, they are giving a balanced view of the pros and cons. Come on? What teenagers talk to their parents about sexual issues? This is an online resource where they can get unbiased info, if it's not given to them here they'll get the wrong answers on ask.fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

History repeats itself........

The people decrying this threesome "scandal" will be seen as backward by the vast majority of people in the future.......... if they haven't been seen as such by any clear thinker already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Well look, if they pick one specific sexual practice they should be consistent, how about helping the teens out with foursomes, double-anal-penetration and watersport hygiene?

Like it or not, it's well documented that if something is discussed as an "ordinary lifestyle situation" it's more readily accepted as such.
    I don't think 3somes should fall into that category.

I don't think 3somes should fall into that category.
    And there are those who don't think pre-marital sex should fall into that category.

There's good advice on that site, and it's advice that teenagers are more than likely not getting anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Mulherin has become Mayo's Fidelma Healy Eames or Luke Flanagan at this stage in terms of levels of embarassment to herself and her county. Hopefully the electorate will have the sense to get rid of her next time around. There are enough real issues for our politicians to be dealing with, yet this is the kind of rubbish she seems intent on focusing on. A joke of a politician.

This isn't a burning issue for her constituents......next election she should run in Dun Laoghaire. What about this waste of money here.

What is surprising is that this thread is nearly a year old and it has gone to 16 pages on her assinine comments. Is this a record for a Mayo TD? Even DC isn't in her league and nor does Inda inspire a thread for his gaffes.

It will make for an interesting review come election time. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

News just in.....

Michelle Mulherin will appear on Nevin Magure's cookery programme on RTE demonstrating how to execute a tasty spit roast :D

Advertisement