Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike licence and ibt confusion

• 21-04-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi lads new to this so any help please,

I had a provisional licence for a A1/B/M/W in 2003 when i was 17 years old. I am now 26.
    I had a suzuki ax100 or sumthing like that but then past my test for the Full B Licence in 2004 and lost all my other categories because i had the full B. I then did a theory test for a provisional C in 2008 and past and got for 2 years.
    last year in march 2011 i decided to get back on the bikes and did the theory test for the A licence. I past and put the cert in the press in the kitchen where it has been for a year.
    Last month i filled out the form went down and got my learner permit streight away no eye test or anything needed just that cert,
    Bought a 2010 GSX650F insured it on the learner permit and taxed it.

They put the A/A1/M/C with the years i held them on the licence.
    A1 years 03-14
    A years 12-14
    M years 03-14
    C years 08-14.

So My question is this.
    Do i need to do the IBT course if it shows i held the licence before all this thing with the IBT came in as i am now confused with this.
    I'v been driven around for a few weeks not knowing whether or not i need it as no 1 has asked for it.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks Lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

The A category is dated from 2012 to 2014, am I reading your post correctly?

Does your learner permit have a code 991 or 992 on it to the right of the A category?

991 indicates that it's a first learner permit in that category, so you can't take your test for 6 months. As you had an A1 permit before, you might only have to do part of the IBT. You should contact the RSA for confirmation.

Is your bike restricted? The fact that an insurance took money from you means nothing if you're not licensed to ride it - in the event of an accident, you aren't insured, and you also run the risk of being stopped by the Gardaí and having the bike impounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Andy111111

Hi Gipi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes on my driven licence it has 991 on the both A1 and A.
    It like A1 From 02-07-03 To 11-04-14 /991
    A From 12-04-12 To 11-04-14 /991
    I was told A1 licence is for beginners aged 16-17 year olds and at 18 you automatically get the A licence as there both part of the A category.
    On the logbook its power out put is 25KW.
    I was told its factory restricted and the A licence is up to 25KW.
    The insurance company never asked for proof of licence or restriction cert or IBT cert,
    But I have the licence and the logbook to prove it is factory restricted but just wondering about the IBT cert as it shows i originally had a licence before it came in and if i need it what is it needed for?
    Who do i give it to and what can i do with it?

If your bike is factory restricted, then you're fine - you just need to keep the restriction cert or document safe in case you're ever asked for it. The insurance co might ask you for a copy at a later date for their own records.

Going from A1 to A isn't automatic. People aged 18+ can apply for an A category permit, whether they've ever had an A1 or not.

If your licence says "991" then it's counted as your first learner permit so you might have to do the IBT. As I said, you should check with the RSA to be certain. If you come under the IBT rule, then you're not licensed to be on the road until you've done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Andy111111 wrote: »
    Hi Gipi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes on my driven licence it has 991 on the both A1 and A.
    It like A1 From 02-07-03 To 11-04-14 /991
    A From 12-04-12 To 11-04-14 /991
    I was told A1 licence is for beginners aged 16-17 year olds and at 18 you automatically get the A licence as there both part of the A category.
    On the logbook its power out put is 25KW.
    I was told its factory restricted and the A licence is up to 25KW.
    The insurance company never asked for proof of licence or restriction cert or IBT cert,
    But I have the licence and the logbook to prove it is factory restricted but just wondering about the IBT cert as it shows i originally had a licence before it came in and if i need it what is it needed for?
    Who do i give it to and what can i do with it?

There's only one place that can give you the correct answer. Anything posted here is based on assumptions and they could cost you a lot if they are wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

Andy because the A part of your learner permit is your first but you had an A1 before the rules changed you will only have to do 2 of the 4 ibt modules.
    You will need to get these done to be road legal

• Advertisement

I have no problem with doing the course its just i didnt want to do it if not needed as i have insurance, tax and the permit but i was talking to a IBT instructor about it and i think i confused him but i think i should do it for peace and mind for myself.
    he dont know how i got insurance without it, but he said he is good to go when ever im ready,
    so next thing on my list is to save €520 to do it.:eek:
    Thanks for the replys lads

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's only one place that can give you the correct answer. Anything posted here is based on assumptions and they could cost you a lot if they are wrong

Which is why I mentioned contacting the RSA...twice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

I have no problem with doing the course its just i didnt want to do it if not needed as i have insurance, tax and the permit but i was talking to a IBT instructor about it and i think i confused him but i think i should do it for peace and mind for myself.
    he dont know how i got insurance without it, but he said he is good to go when ever im ready,

Just make sure you're not paying for all 4 modules and the instructor isn't trying to pull a fast one on you. No point in paying for something you don't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Andy
    you will have to do the whole ibt course as you never did it on the a1 permit. the conversion modules are for people moving up from an A1 to an A permit if ibt was done before on the A1. Your original permit was also lapsed over 5 years so you
    have to start from scratch.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tummytickles

Hi guys,

I have a similar issue.

I did my theory test in June 2009 when I was 19. I have the learner permit which permits me to drive a less than or equal to 25kW bike. So I have the A1 and the first of the A catogories, not the full license obviously :D

Now my license expired in June last year so going to have to renew it soon. I've been driving an old suzuki ax100 around the fields to get a feel for biking and am looking for a nice little 250cc to take on the road.

I'm asking the same question, do I have to do the IBT before applying for my license?

There is a whole lot of confusion with this, I've read the RSA website and am none the wiser.

IBT is a huge money spinner imho, I will take part in proper lessons though as safety does come first. Any good instructors around Limerick

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Learner biker chick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Hi guys,

I have a similar issue.

I did my theory test in June 2009 when I was 19. I have the learner permit which permits me to drive a less than or equal to 25kW bike. So I have the A1 and the first of the A catogories, not the full license obviously :D

Now my license expired in June last year so going to have to renew it soon. I've been driving an old suzuki ax100 around the fields to get a feel for biking and am looking for a nice little 250cc to take on the road.

I'm asking the same question, do I have to do the IBT before applying for my license?

There is a whole lot of confusion with this, I've read the RSA website and am none the wiser.

IBT is a huge money spinner imho, I will take part in proper lessons though as safety does come first. Any good instructors around Limerick

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Learner biker chick :)

It's not been 5 years since you last held a licence so you probably won't need to, but if it's a third learner permit you will have to have a test booked I think to get it. You can't stay permanently on a learner anymore.

If you're not fully confident on it I advise you do the IBT anyway (if you can get a good price on it) it's very much worth it and you will learn more about safety in an hour there than you will just driving around the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tummytickles

Thanks minidazzler!

Thats some good news anyway! Will prob ring the RSA too just to be sure. Or would the motortax people know if I asked them when I go in to renew my license? It's only my first permit, so I'm safe in that sense!

I will take some lessons for sure, might even do the more benificial modules of the IBT if I get a good price on them. Money is tight after all so will have to see ;)

Any good bike instructors in the Limerick area? I'm in West Limerick and any reccommendations appreciated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks minidazzler!

Thats some good news anyway! Will prob ring the RSA too just to be sure. Or would the motortax people know if I asked them when I go in to renew my license? It's only my first permit, so I'm safe in that sense!

Don't go near the MotorTax people they are useless. When I was getting my EC added I also ticked EB. The person behind the counter says I can't have EB as I didn't have it before and hadn't a pass cert for it. My response was that if I'm safe to drive a 44t Artic why can't I tow a trailer with a car. The person who I handed my cert to asks the person in the next window "What does E stand for":eek::eek:

Any time I've rang the RSA they where always helpful. Once they didn't have the info to hand and I was told they'd call me back. I was all set for a few days wait till I needed to call again and was pleasantly surprised when I got a call back in 30min with the answer.

I could have been unlucky in the Tax office, but the RSA control the system so they should be the people to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't go near the MotorTax people they are useless. When I was getting my EC added I also ticked EB. The person behind the counter says I can't have EB as I didn't have it before and hadn't a pass cert for it. My response was that if I'm safe to drive a 44t Artic why can't I tow a trailer with a car. The person who I handed my cert to asks the person in the next window "What does E stand for":eek::eek:

I hear you del! When I passed my bike test last March I was handing in my LP, Pass Cert and Full licence (to get it added) and the guy behind the counter was giving me my LP back!! I explained that I can't have a full bike licence and LP (A Catagory) at the same time. He then said "Ah yeah that makes sense" and I handed him the LP back. Bloody clown!:eek:

Well Lads,
    Im still driven around on my gsx650f with a learner permit,
    Got pulled by cops a couple of weeks ago :eek: but they told me i have a permit to drive, the bike is insured and taxed to be on the road, its all ok but gave me grief about not wearing a hivis with L on it.

Insurance company had canceled my policy untell they seen the restricted cert to, so i sent them off a copy of the log book where it shows the 25kw and now everything is fine.
    They sent me out a different policy, the only differance is it says the bike is restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Well Lads,
    Im still driven around on my gsx650f with a learner permit,
    Got pulled by cops a couple of weeks ago :eek: but they told me i have a permit to drive, the bike is insured and taxed to be on the road, its all ok but gave me grief about not wearing a hivis with L on it.

Insurance company had canceled my policy untell they seen the restricted cert to, so i sent them off a copy of the log book where it shows the 25kw and now everything is fine.
    They sent me out a different policy, the only differance is it says the bike is restricted.
    Andy
    did you do your ibt?. If not your still not legal. the rsa will not send you a test date until they receive a copy of the ibt cert from an instructor and the cop who stopped you is wrong to tell you all is ok. as my previous post explained you must do all 4 modules as you are on a first LP coded 991.
    If you have to claim on your insurance then you can be sure there will be problems if you haven't got an ibt cert as you shouldn't be riding without it. I am not trying to upset you at all just give you the facts for your own benefit as there is still confusion out there.
    btw did you ring the rsa about it?

Advertisement