Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forearm tattoos on women

Options
  • 21-04-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

what do people think of forearm tattoos on women?
    Im talking something colourful and girly, not too big maybe 3 or 4 inches long and 2 or 3 wide.
    Not so much to do with jobs or future tattoos but on the stereotypical butch arm tattoos.
    What do you guys think of them? Could you pull it off with the right tattoo or is it just a no-no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

What do you think about them Rainbow? As your opinion is the only one that matters - it is your body, and your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Have one myself that I adore. That said I am *very much* butch.

However, personally as not many women have them I find them intriguing and beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rainbowrolly

Well the design that I'm looking at would look great on a forearm I think, can't see it anywhere else.
    I think they look nice on women, but I don't exactly look like a girly girl and really don't want to look butch because of the placement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Jean wrote: »
    What do you think about them Rainbow? As your opinion is the only one that matters - it is your body, and your decision.

OP didnt ask for her own opinion, asked for other peoples.

My opinion is that it depends on the arm its going on as much as the type of tattoo. I think if you are a girly girl with a little girly arm getting a girly tattoo its fine, whereas if you have a big arm and the tattoo is not very obviously girly it could look a bit rough if you know what I mean.
    I also think that how you present yourself on a daily bases will affect peoples judgment, if you wear cute girly clothes and happen to be a cute girl people dont really see anything in it but if you look a bit rough and were shiny track suits and your best Nike's to mass the grannies will be holding on tight to their handbags.

Is it your first tattoo ?

Alright, This is the design and (at the risk of being a total weirdo) my arm :P
    When I say I'm not very girly, I usually wear skinny jeans and a hoody with high tops. But since I have seriously uncontrolable hair, usually leave my hair up.

It is my first tattoo yes, been thinking about it for the past year and finally found a design I'm happy with, The artist might change the design slightly. I'm happy with the artist his work is brilliant, I have to make a decision about getting it or not by monday or else I'll lose my slot, and I won't see him until monday otherwise I would have talked it over with him first.

Btw, I don't want anything on the torso (even though it would have been a much easier decision!)

255i1br.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Alright, This is the design and (at the risk of being a total weirdo) my arm :P
    When I say I'm not very girly, I usually wear skinny jeans and a hoody with high tops. But since I have seriously uncontrolable hair, usually leave my hair up.

It is my first tattoo yes, been thinking about it for the past year and finally found a design I'm happy with, The artist might change the design slightly. I'm happy with the artist his work is brilliant, I have to make a decision about getting it or not by monday or else I'll lose my slot, and I won't see him until monday otherwise I would have talked it over with him first.

Btw, I don't want anything on the torso (even though it would have been a much easier decision!)

255i1br.png

that is gorgeous. i think it will look amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That's one uncomfortable looking pillow under your arm... ;):p

Where on your forearm are you planning on getting it?

That's one uncomfortable looking pillow under your arm... ;):p

Where on your forearm are you planning on getting it?

Pillow is about all it's good for! :p

On the inside, probably middle or closer to the wrist. I'm open to suggestions on where to put it, just not mad on anywhere on the torso!

As you're keen on the forearm, I'd say a fingers width or two from the inside of the elbow. Gives you that little bit more room than further down the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I think it'd look really nice there - don't think is necessarily "a butch place to put a tattoo" - my sister has one there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Usuall

I think that would really look good Rainbow. Nice design and colours. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

not a fan of tattoos no matter where they are TBH. Turn off for me

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

It's a gorgeous idea where ever you decide to get it,

I know a few girls with tattoos on their forearms I wouldn't say it's unfeminine or anything, and anyway as long as your happy with it who gives a f*ck bout what others say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Nice and colorful, once the detail is not lost when its a tattoo it will look well.
    Go for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think it would look very good on you . I would say go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

sealgaire wrote: »

Your in the wrong forum so buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

looks like nice design to get?just be careful when the tattoo artist draws it on,twist ur arm around make sure u like it there?when i got my small one there after it was done i noticed when my arm was hanging down normal the tat was twisting around the front?luckly my tat was white so not to noticable? i think yours will b alot nicer more down towards wrist??good luck.post image when done

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

sealgaire wrote: »

Well then why are you in the tattoo and piercing forum??? :confused: :rolleyes:

OP that's a gorgeous design, it should look great. I like the forearm as a place for tattoos in general tbh. If you're comfortable with it and you want to get your tattoo there, then go for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Well then why are you in the tattoo and piercing forum??? :confused: :rolleyes:

Hell_Yeah_Transparent_9586.gif

Please keep it on the topic guys, not on the guy/girl that found their way onto the wrong forum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

op - the fact that you are asking the question indicates that you feel on some level that tattoos aren't feminine.

No one but you can tell you whether or not that is a risk/con that you are willing to accept. And contrary to popular belief - no amount of thinking beforehand can totally avert the possiblity of having a tattoo you aren't happy with.

Tattoos are a totally different game for women. All the pc bullsh*t aside, society judges women far more harshly for large/visible tattoos. The is a large chunk of society (male and female) who will never see you as feminine again once you have visible tattoos. Some people will be disgusted, and will not shy away from letting you know. If you have a bad day, it can really get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

At the end of the day OP, it's your opinion that is the most important - if you feel it's acceptable, then generally other people's opinion won't faze you too much. However, if deep down you feel they're a bit butch or unsightly, then it will gnaw away at you, and other people's comments are likely to hurt.

Personally, girl with dark tattoo on upper/outer forearm = kind of butch IMHO
    On the other hand, a girl with a feminine tattoo on her inner forearm = can be attractive.

But genuinely, it is your opinion that matters. Be absolutely honest with yourself.
    If you look back, I had planned to get a chest tattoo late last year, but something always felt uneasy about it and I ended up changing it to my calf. I'm so glad I did, as (at the moment at least) I don't feel that a chest tattoo is something I would feel comfortable with on my own body, and if I'm not comfortable with it, nobody else is likely to either.

Tattoos are a totally different game for women. All the pc bullsh*t aside, society judges women far more harshly for large/visible tattoos. The is a large chunk of society (male and female) who will never see you as feminine again once you have visible tattoos. Some people will be disgusted, and will not shy away from letting you know. If you have a bad day, it can really get to you.

Sadly, this is still the case. :( Even people that would otherwise claim to be open minded and not in any way sexist, would view men with tattoos and women with tattoos differently.

No offence meant to Jimmy Bottlehead by singling out his comment there, but his comment shows that even people that are into tattoos can be a little judgemental when it comes to tattoos on women!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sadly, this is still the case. :( Even people that would otherwise claim to be open minded and not in any way sexist, would view men with tattoos and women with tattoos differently.

No offence meant to Jimmy Bottlehead by singling out his comment there, but his comment shows that even people that are into tattoos can be a little judgemental when it comes to tattoos on women!

No offense taken, it's absolutely true. Everybody is judgmental in some way, either near the surface or way deep down. Once you're at real peace with it though, other people's opinions will carry very little weight.
    I should point out though, it's not just tattoos on girls I don't like - some I find extremely attractive. Some tattoos (on guys & girls) I just don't like. Some locations aren't appealing to me. But I also accept that people might dislike my tattoos or how I appear to them.

You're completely right. There are also those who think that any tattoos on any person are "knackery" and judge people accordingly.

I guess what it comes down to for me is "do I care what other people think" and to a certain degree, yes I do, but not enough to stop me getting something I really loved. People have opinions on butterfly tattoos and star tattoos and tattoos that have meaning and tattoos that don't have meaning.

Someone is always going to judge you so you have to be pretty happy in yourself to let it go over your head.

I remember the day after I got my forearm done, I looked at it and I was FREAKED, I really thought "what the f*ck have I done!?!" but that lasted a day, and three years on I still absolutely adore it and would get it done again tomorrow.

I guess what it comes down to for me is "do I care what other people think" and to a certain degree, yes I do, but not enough to stop me getting something I really loved.

^ This. We all judge other people, whether we like to think we do or not. We all have different taste, and like different things. If you don't care, then you're detached from reality, and from other people, or you're in denial. If you let that stop you getting what you really want, then you hold other people opinions too highly, or you never really wanted it that much in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I have a trail of ants up my arm starting at the wrist, but I think I'd still be considered girly to look at.
    If someone is going to judge you for your tattoos then is it really someone you want the opinion of?
    Its easy to cover with long sleeves, you would be amazed at the amount of people who don't know I've tattoos even though I'm riddled with them.
    Finally that design is sexy.

I don't like the way this sort of discussion tends to slide into "what other people think doesn't matter, and if it does then tattoos aren't for you""

Of course what other people think matters. None of us exists in a bubble. Clearly how other people perceive us will effect our interactions, and I think that considering that effect before and after getting tattooed is a reasonable thing to do. I think it's the only reasonable thing to do, in fact.

I don't like the way this sort of discussion tends to slide into "what other people think doesn't matter, and if it does then tattoos aren't for you""

Um.....
    ......If you don't care, then you're detached from reality, and from other people, or you're in denial.
    "do I care what other people think" and to a certain degree, yes I do,

• Advertisement

Um.....

I didn't say everyone in this thread is unreasonable; I have had this chat with hundreds of people.

Advertisement