Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Williams calls crucible a **** hole

• 21-04-2012 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20042012/58/williams-crucible-s-hole.html

Funny stuff and the tweet by Allen was funny too :pac:

Former winner Mark Williams has caused a storm on the eve of the World Snooker Championship by describing Sheffield's Crucible Theatre as a "s*** hole" saying he would prefer to see the tournament moved to China.

The Welshman tweeted: "WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS just around the corner. Shame it's played in the Crucible, s*** hole, hopefully it will be in China soon."

Williams also said he would "rather play in Pontins" and that the Crucible was "over hyped" although he did say he had no problem with Sheffield which he called a "nice place."
    Despite saying "It's only my opinion….so don't send me any letters or fines," Williams - winner of the World Championship in 2000 and 2003 at the Crucible - admitted he had caused a stir.

"Wow I'm in trouble for my last tweet about the Crucible, people from the paper and world snooker been on the phone," he tweeted just over an hour after his original tweet.

"Not sure if it's cause I nearly swore, or said I hate playing at the Crucible, or want the world champs to go to china."

Williams - who plays his opening match against Liu Chuang on Wednesday - later admitted that he went a little too far with his remarks, but said his opinion had not changed.

"I shouldn't have called it that," he told one user. "I was wrong to call it that, but if I win it, I'll say the same, I hate playing there."

The Crucible has hosted the World Championship since 1977 and will host the world's best players for the next 17 days.

The comments prompted World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn - manager of Steve Davis when the Englishman won it six times in the 1980s - to defend the venue.

"It's an outstanding venue and the refurbishment which recently took place has greatly improved the facilities," said Hearn.

"There's is so much history associated with the Crucible, it is synonymous with snooker and the World Championship. There's something unique and magical about the atmosphere in the arena which couldn't be replicated anywhere else. The vast majority of people involved in snooker would say the same.

"Anyone who was in the arena for the final last year when the players were introduced will tell you that it was one of the best atmospheres ever witnessed at a sporting event.

"We look forward to a wonderful Betfred.com World Championship starting tomorrow and to great years ahead in Sheffield, the Snooker City."

Williams is not the first snooker player to cause controversy by using Twitter. Northern Irishman Mark Allen was scathing in his criticism of the conditions at China's Haikou World Open in March before apologising. Ironically, Allen won the event.

Allen tweeted: "Dead cat found this morning. Any wonder this place stinks. Must be dead cats all round the town. This place is horrendous. It just baffles me how world snooker continuously go out of their way to put tournaments on in the middle of nowhere. Journey a nightmare. People are ignorant. Place stinks. Arena's rubbish, tables poor, food is horrendous. Other than that I love China."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I see that Barry Hearn has weighed in now, warning that Williams could face a ban for his comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17821090

And Hearn added: "We have the powers to do anything provided we've acted reasonably - a potential suspension or a ban.

"The big issue is I don't really want anything like this. This is a very good time to be a snooker player. It's not a good time to be an idiot."
    A very good time to be a snooker player = get back in your box and shut-up

Given than in 1995, when Hendry hit his first Crucible maximum, prize was £147,000 - today it's £50,000. Says it all about the supposed good time to be a snooker player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Williams has always and ever said that he doesn't like the Crucible.. Suppose not in such crude terms before this though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

ding called the tables and the fans rubbish.
    but i doubt he will face as much criticism or fines as williams or allen

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

green123 wrote: »
    ding called the tables and the fans rubbish.
    but i doubt he will face as much criticism or fines as williams or allen

Ding dosent like when he hasnt the full support of the audience and to be fair, the crowds all over the UK have given him lots of support, if he cant handle a bit of support for an opponent, his future in the game is under serious threat!

As for Williams, did anyone notice that he is the one and only person in the world with his opinion on the Crucible? says it all really.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement