Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsubscribing from spam mails

• 21-04-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's thoughts on this are? Is it best to hit the unsubscribe link in the hope you may actually be removed from mailing lists which you know you never signed up to, or is it best to just delete/spam the mail to avoid any tracker telling that your address is indeed active?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Delete, report but never ever unsub for the reasons you state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks tricky, already did from a few, so I hope I don't get a barrage of more ****e :(

Any idea how to report via thunderbird? I grab mail from an @eircom account and my websites blacknight account. I know gmail have a pretty sophisticated spam filter but I'm not sure about eircom or blacknight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I right-click on them without opening them & confine them to the Junk folder. They come in as Junk thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks tricky, already did from a few, so I hope I don't get a barrage of more ****e :(

Any idea how to report via thunderbird? I grab mail from an @eircom account and my websites blacknight account. I know gmail have a pretty sophisticated spam filter but I'm not sure about eircom or blacknight?

Eircom will do nothing for you.

Try using thunderbird as an email client as stated above its a reasonable spam filter.

Thanks, I've been using Thunderbird for years now, but all the spam still gets through to me. I don't have the junk settings enabled in the fear that I may actually miss something relevant. There's been a few mails thunderbird has thought were spam, but they weren't for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks, I've been using Thunderbird for years now, but all the spam still gets through to me. I don't have the junk settings enabled in the fear that I may actually miss something relevant. There's been a few mails thunderbird has thought were spam, but they weren't for example.

If you turn on spam filtering and periodically check the spam folder and correct any errors it gets better at dealing with spam.

Leaving spam filtering off is just asking for an inbox full of muck.

Ok thanks :) I only get a few spams a day, maybe 3 or so, it's not the end of the world and means I get to see absolutely everything coming inbound so I might just leave it for now, and if my unsubscribing has signed me up to a barrage of new spam, I'll probably need to turn it on :)

Advertisement