Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Just looking for some advice on where to start with e-cigarettes. I have a 20 a day habit. Want something that looks, feels and tastes like conventional cigarettes to improve my changes of giving them up. Having had a good look around I'm tempted by the Joyetech 510 mini and the Jasper and Jasper starter kits. Anyone who has used these, what are they like? Any other products I should consider? Looks like I'll have to shell out €50 to get started, just wanna make sure I buy the right thing.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the innokin aio pcc kit looks good, if you absolutely have to have one that looks like a cigarette

generally they're not as good in terms of battery life (I think they last an hour or two, depending on how much you're vaping) but the innokin gets around that by having a portable charging case in the shape of a cigarette box. charge the box, drop your battery in there when you're not using it and it oughta last you the full day between charges

reviews of it seem pretty good, if I was gona get a cig looking device this'd be it. or another one that had a portable charging case as I just couldn't deal with the terrible battery life

http://www.safercigs.co.uk/Innokin_AIO_IK1200_PCC_510/p705283_6359108.aspx

http://e-smokeireland.eu/epages/950002218.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950002218/Products/DCCXLKIT

i'd reccomend this kit though, larger bettery so one fully charged batt oughta last you a day or two. the cartomisers are better as well, they hold more juice and give a warmer vape so it feels more like a cigarette.

with this kit too, once you have those batteries you can throw any cartomiser or tank setup onto it and it'll work. boge cartomisers in particular are imo slightly better than the dual coils, but the differences arent really very pronounced. boge has slightly better flavour, dual coil has warmer vape and can be kinda "rougher" so feels more ciggie like.
    you'll also need some eliquid for it as there's none in the kit

15% off that esmoke Ireland one until the 23rd
    15% of all Starter Kits until the 23rd of April. Enter "Starter" in the Coupon field at

Checkout. Do not press ' Redeem Coupon' instead press the update button to receive

the discount. Please use StarterUK for all orders in Pounds/Sterling

that'd bring it down to around.. uh.. 42?

pretty damn good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Very good deal here and it includes postage too.

€29.99 for an ego-t kit delivered.

http://www.bargainvapour.com/650mah_EGO-T__510_THREAD/p1274299_6347079.aspx

Also buy some e-juice and you're good to go!
    Liquid flavour is a personal choice, but Ry4 might be a good starting point.
    Also after smoking 20 a day, I'd go for at least 18mg or even 24mg strength juice.

Hope this helps.

ego-t.. the leakiest of the leaky tank systems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

orourkk3 wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice on where to start with e-cigarettes. I have a 20 a day habit. Want something that looks, feels and tastes like conventional cigarettes to improve my changes of giving them up. Having had a good look around I'm tempted by the Joyetech 510 mini and the Jasper and Jasper starter kits. Anyone who has used these, what are they like? Any other products I should consider? Looks like I'll have to shell out €50 to get started, just wanna make sure I buy the right thing.

Although I use a larger device myself, the jasper & jasper rechargeable kits are propably as close as you can get when trying to replicate a real cigarette. In a lot of respects thus making the transition to vapin that much easier. But as stated the smaller batteries can have limited life between charges. But having tried the j&j they not bad in this respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 orourkk3

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I like the idea of the AIO with the PCC and found the Liberro Realis which looks good. Obviously buying e-liquid is more economical than buying pre-filled cartridges but how many times can I refill a cartomiser or cartridge???

the best thing to do with them is not to let them go completely dry, so keep refilling them over the course of their life in small bits.

like vape away on it, then when you get a couple of minutes put a few drops in, vape away for a little longer, put a few more drops in.. they last longer if you keep them wet

it depends on the cartomiser, your juice and your vaping habits.. but 4-7 days would be common enough for a cartomiser, i know people who bin them after 2-3 days and I know people who keep using the same one for 2-3 weeks some times.
    if you're getting a cig replica model, make sure it can use other cartomisers than just the ones that come supplied with it.
    the innokin can use boge cartos which aside from being very good cartos, are available from a few irish sites w/ next day post and like.. 1.60-2 euro a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

I found the intellcig pretty good for a starter kit, even managed to get my mother in law using one.

So I went and bought a jasper and jasper xplorer kit which arrived today. Just wanted something cheap to see what vaping was like. Charged it for 2 hours connected it up and nothing!!! No vaper, no nothing!!! Have I missed something, have I not charged it long enough??? Anyone any ideas?

Sounds like a bad battery or charger. You should contact the Vendor who I'm sure will send you a replacement. :)

• Advertisement

mustbe something likethhat alright if you're getting nothing, they come with prefilled cartomisers.. even if the battery isnt fully charged it should still work, and 2 hours oughta be enough time to get it most if not all the way charged

you sure it's screwed in the full way and all that ?

Yeah its screwed all the way in alright. Led lights up when I pull on it but no vapour. Tried both cartomisers that came with it, sealed in foil, still nothing. Not the best first experience of e-cigs:(

how are you drawing on it? you dont draw like a cigarette, you take long slow drags. if you're trying to take real short sharp ones like you would with a cig that might explain it

although id say even then you should be getting a tiny bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-T7LIH1dXE

according to this video you have to charge it for 7 hours your first go..
    although i think that's just for the health of the battery life, if its lighting up when you draw it should be producing something

Not impressed!! I've left it chargin, will give it another go later on. Tried long slow drags but thats not workin either. Really wanna try this but dont wanna have to spend a small fortune finding one that works

how much do you spend a week on fags?
    40 euro will get you a kit that works straight away, it's not a huge amount of money

when you posted that it was not working I first thought dud battery and that may still be the case. But could also b bad cargos, but to have 2 dud batteries would bbv unusual. The j&j do give a fair old hit and easy to use. There's obviously something wrong. Again would advise contact vendor.

So guys, the battery I got with the jasper and jasper xplorer kit was a dud! Got in touch with Declan at ezsmoke.ie who I bought it from and he kindly replaced the kit having first tester the new battery he was sending me. Excellent customer service, would highly recommend his site and will be shopping there myself again.

In my frustration with the jasper and jasper kit (no fault of Declan's) I went out and ordered the liberro realis. Good kit, I like the look, it vapes well but the taste of the supplied cartromizers isnt very pleasant. So then I went and got some 5ml testers to try instead. Refilling the cartomizers using the condom method liberro recommend was easy but I'm not convinced it works all that well, getting e liquid in my mouth and having refilled the cartomizers dont last all that long. Then tried to refill them taking the cap off which resulted in two destroyed caps. The realis caps supply pre-filled dont appear designed to come off.

So now for my questions:

I would like some blank cartomizers to try my new e liquids on the realis, however, the blanks available from liberro are too expensive imo (£15 + £9.99 delivery). Does anyone know of any other cartomizers compatible with the realis?

I'm now regretting not taking sir digby's advice and going for the Innokin AIO instead. Should I just put the realis down to trial and error and go for the Innokin instead?

Or given that the Innokin has a 510 connection and I already have a jasper and jasper kit (which by the way I dont like the taste of either) could I just get a couple of Innokin batteries and a pack of blank cartomizers and live without the PCC. I assuming I can charge the batteries with the usb charger I got with the j&j kit, or have I assumed wrong?

Any advice appreciated guys, Im determined to give this a go, just need to settle on the right kit.

from what I can see online.. i dont think the liberro use a standard 510 connection so you are stuck with their own brand cartomisers

i dont actually know if you can use the jasper charger with the innokin batteries..
    maybe? they are 510 batteries.. so maybe they're similar enough that it'll work

http://www.safercigs.co.uk/Innokin_AIO_IK1200_PCC_510/p705283_6359108.aspx

www.safercigs.co.uk - UKVAPERS - 10% discount code anyway.. so if you add a second battery to it, should come to around 36 sterling + shipping if you get the kit

honestly i think you're better off just getting the kit (well actually I think you're better off getting an ego device, but we won't go down that rabbit hole again) but maybe just buying the battery on its own and using your own charger will work?... I really dont know

if you do get the innokin anyway, you can use boge 2ohm cartomisers with it which can be bought from a couple of the irish stores afaik. one of them definitely. so as long as you havee a way to charge your battery you'll be able to get your cartomisers and liquid cheap enough with next day post.
    I think... *think* that the 2ohm boges will drain the battery faster though.. I think the lower resistance, the more it drains.. but you also get more performance out of it .. which imo is another argument for having the PCC

I'm inclined to agree that the kit is the best way to go. I have also been looking at some 510 tank systems. This innokin one in particular http://www.vapeescape.co.uk/boge-innokin-510-t-mini-tank~221 , maybe for use at home, just cant see myself using one of these when out and about and in order to give up the fags I need something I can bring to college, work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

I'm inclined to agree that the kit is the best way to go. I have also been looking at some 510 tank systems. This innokin one in particular http://www.vapeescape.co.uk/boge-innokin-510-t-mini-tank~221 , maybe for use at home, just cant see myself using one of these when out and about and in order to give up the fags I need something I can bring to college, work etc.

Ignore... I was thinking of the other innokin system

the larger ego style devices really aren't awkward to use out and about, i was hesitant vaping outside and in beer gardens too when i first got mine but after a while you just think **** it.. I wont be the idiot getting cancer and you're grand.
    i just really dont want to see a post by you in 2-3 months time saying "well im loving the innokin kit, but now I think I want something a little extra.. what about those ego batteries" because I will smack you.

the 510-tank option.. i dont know about. I started using an ego-t which is similar enough and while i was pretty happy with the performance, there were leaking issues.. lots of leaking issues. There are other tank systems now for the ego style batteries that are supposedly better in terms of not leaking all over your trousers but they're still a bit .. fiddlier than cartomisers.
    the 510-t when its working great will probably give you better flavour than a cartomiser, it's just I can't say whether or not they're any better now for leaking than when they were when I started out on the ego-t's. if I had to guess, probably not. that's not to say you'll neccesarily get a pocket full of juice but in my experience.. once it started to leak, it never stopped..
    if you are getting the innokin pcc kit, that will probably do the job for you. moving to the 510-t you linked would probably not be a big enough jump in terms of battery life or performance to warrant the extra money.

What exactly is an ego, are they the ones with the fatter batteries? Do they take cartridges or do you fill a tank like the 510-t? And back to the innokin, will these cartomizers http://www.ezsmoke.ie/boge-cartomizers-pack-p-129.html work with it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

An eGo is a standardised (almost) type of battery. They have the standard 510 connection threads, so they'll work with any 510 atomisers/cartridges/cartomisers etc. They also have extra eGo threads that let them work with a number of eGo only devices.

They also tend to be fatter, but imho they're not really that big, I could pretty much hide an eGo battery + cartomiser in my hands and my hands aren't particularly huge. They last much longer too, they come with different capacities, but most eGo batteries would last most users a full day o pretty close to it.

yeah ego is the larger fatter battery

theyll take anything is kinda the point. the ego are the new standard. the 510 was the standard several years ago but as technology improved and more devices were invented, the ego (which is basically just a 510 that can hold more charge, so lasts longer) became the most common type.
    with the ego sized batteries you can go for a standard resistance or a lower resistance atomiser (lower resistance generally gives hotter vapour and more of it but eats battery power quite a bit faster than standard resistance), you can go for several different types of cartomisers or you can go for several different types of tank systems.
    you might technically be able to run some of these on an innokin 510 battery.. but it would eat through the battery so fast it'd be almost pointless and i think might even damage the battery to discharge it that quickly.

if you got an ego kit.. say an ego cartomiser kit.. and you ended up noit being crazy about the cartomisers. you can get some other types of cartomisers and throw them on the batteries you already have. or you can buy an ego-c tank system or an ego-w tank system, biansi imist.. etc etc etc.. you just have more options available to you.

and back to the innokin yes they will but going back to what I said abve about standard resistance versus low resistance.
    those boge cartomisers are 2.7-3ohm, so they will work on an innokin but the innokin battery wont be able to drive them hard enough to produce reallyu great flavour or vapour. the boge 2ohms on the other hand
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/blank-cartomizers/510-lr-empty-cartomiser/prod_154.html
    while they will drain your battery faster than the 3ohm cartomisers they will also work far better on them. you'll get a more cigarette like experience, warmer vapour, more vapour and better flavour.

What exactly is an ego, are they the ones with the fatter batteries? Do they take cartridges or do you fill a tank like the 510-t? And back to the innokin, will these cartomizers http://www.ezsmoke.ie/boge-cartomizers-pack-p-129.html work with it?
    Those SR (standard resistence) cartos would work, but they wouldn't be ideal. The LR (low resistance) 2.0 ohm ones would be better if you can find them. Or the 1.5 ohm dual coil cartomisers might be better again.

i think the 1.5ohms are too low res for 510 batteries

i dont know if they damage them or anything but everywhere says not to use them with 510 batts, and even if they dont damage them the batteries will last **** all time as they are kinda too low res for them

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that, I have to stop suggesting that to people.

Have spent the evening looking at tanks systems and different egos, found this which is a long way away from the cig-a-like I've been looking for but looks interesting http://www.ovaleireland.com/page8.php?view=productPage&product=18&category= Any thoughts? Pricey!! Anyone recommend an ego system, there are so many I really dont know which ones I should be looking at.

• Advertisement

http://www.ezsmoke.ie/boge-cartomizers-pack-p-144.html some LR boge cartos here on the same website you were looking at earlier, they just went up I think.

as for the ego tank styles.. have a look in the "tank system shootout thread" there's a short video in there where a guy compares 5 of them. the ego-c wins pretty comfortably.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/joye-ego-c-starter-kit/prod_230.html

the problem with the ego-c is that they are bloody expensive compared to some of your other options.

about the ovale elips
    I dunno, it looks a bit strange

video review here of it, but it's 24 minutes long. I'll watch it anyway as i'm kinda curious, but he has this to say about it in the description
    My review of the Eagle Elips, provided by Vaporus. Perhaps more well known as sold by Ovale, the Elips is an unusual form factor that's surprisingly comfortable and has a few nice features. Performance, however, is another matter entirely.

so maybe not worth getting.
    to be honest even if it was amazing, 99 euro is ****ing ridiculous.

at least with the ego-c at 78 (minus 7.80 with 10% discount I guess) you have several atomisers there (the ego c is a repairable/replaceable atomiser. You can unscrew the top/bottom and replace whatever part needs replacing after it starts to fail. its less complicated than you might think, but im trying to get the point across that at least there's some kind of justification for that high price tag.

the ovale link seems to just be "we ovale, we charge whatever the **** we want"

Advertisement