Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swim Meet Ups 2012

Options
  • 21-04-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there is a 2012 thread on this but i couldn't find one!

Anyway im heading for the Bull Wall tomorrow for 12:00 (highest point of the tide) if anyone's interested. I cant say how long ill last as its the first of the year but im hoping to stay in as long as possible (prob 20-25mins max).

I'll be parking in the car park on the sand in the centre of this map - http://g.co/maps/bw4c5

If anyones interested PM me and ill send you my mobile.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

was it cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

it wasnt actually. well yeah it was cold but it felt fine. I was wearing a new neoprene hat though and that seemed to make all the difference! Ill be heading again during the week or at the weekend if anyone is about. Might see if i can squeeze in a 7am one some day before work if the tides suit

• Registered Users Posts: 6 9530303

Hey Bambaata, great to hear you got out in the water. I just moved into the area, live just off Clontarf road. I brought up my wetsuit and would like to get in the water this weekend if you're around.

Not ready for the chill of non-wetsuit yet. Let me knoe if you're out over wknd again.

Ill be in on Sunday, hopefully! It might be pretty early though. Looking at the tide it seems like i will need to be there at latest by 7:00/7:30! It doesnt suit me later in the day and its low tide early morning/lunchtime.

Can anyone tell me which website is right. Easytide has it at:
    High tide at 04:40 - 3.3m
    low tide at 10:48 - 1.2m

And sailing.ie has
    High tide at 05:27 - 3.5m
    low tide at 11:40 - 1.3m

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

The correct time is 5.40 as Easytide doesnt account for Daylight savings

I use this one

http://www.tidetimes.org.uk/dublin-north-wall-tide-times-20120429

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Just looking at that so the mid point of the tide between 3.3 and 1.2 (assuing its an even flow) is at about 08:30/08:40. Would that be right and that would be approx 2/2.2m? Anyone know if that height would be ok then? I cant remember exact times i went last year but always tried to catch high tide as there was 1 time when i arrived to see nothing but sand, that was at 6:30am or so! Wasnt a happy bunny lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

1.2m at low tide means that there will be no water at the bull wall. So half way between that and high tide will mean water, but not much. With high tide at 4:40, I would be aiming to be finished my swim by 7 to be sure. Your plan ow swimming 4 hours after HT and 2 hours before LT looks risky in my book, but I'm no expert on this.

Interested might know better. I know he plans on getting in around the later high tide, but I probably won't be back from Limerick to join him for this.

Presume you are going to stay in for about 30 mins so I would say an hour to an hour and a half either side of high tide would be your window.

so between 6.40 and 7.10 at the latest

I shall be at the Bull Wall tomorrow at 06:30 if anyone does fancy it! No better way to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Bambaata wrote: »
    I shall be at the Bull Wall tomorrow at 06:30 if anyone does fancy it! No better way to wake up.

Not this time but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future meet ups. Thanks.

• Advertisement

No worries. Ill most likely be in again next weekend.

Turns out i got freed up this afternoon so ill be there for the high tide at about 18:30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I am hoping for my first OW dip in Galway Bay, from Blackrock (diving boards), on Saturday, hide tide 17:20 so anybody around then? P Gibbo, Catweazle, Sean aka amphibwest?? Or anyone else, just 15min or so. Need to get in before Valentia as do you Sean :) Gibbo you do to before Quiet Man!

Giving serious consideration to a max 15min dip tomorrow eve Bull Wall @7:30. If I get company it'll be harder for me to back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Giving serious consideration to a max 15min dip tomorrow eve Bull Wall @7:30. If I get company it'll be harder for me to back out.

If it keeps raining you can just head around the corner to the Tolka at this stage.

interested wrote: »
    If it keeps raining you can just head around the corner to the Tolka at this stage.

Going to give it a miss this eve. Small craft warning and all that. Summers here!! I'll see you on Thursday.

Going for a dip somewhere in north Dublin, Malahide or Portmarknock which would be better anyone? Aiming to be in the water at 4:45 if that suits anybody.

High tide is 2.51 so water will be on its way out in portmarnock so could be a bit of a walk but you might be just ok.

I would say High rock in Malahide is your best bet.

High tide is 2.51 so water will be on its way out in portmarnock so could be a bit of a walk but you might be just ok.

I would say High rock in Malahide is your best bet.

Cheers, I see that the tide will be on the way out but maybe not a bad thing to swim in shallow water for a bit anyway, then run out and practice T1 :) High Rock I'll try so.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Hey folks,

In dublin and gonna start OW swimming soon. Just wondering do you just get in for a swim for 15-20mins or is it distance or how do you work it?

• Advertisement

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

In dublin and gonna start OW swimming soon. Just wondering do you just get in for a swim for 15-20mins or is it distance or how do you work it?

Usually John I'd pick a buoy to swim out to or something to sight. I do it by time spent in the water not distance.

Had my first OW dip at the Bull Wall today....7min of fast hard swim, in and out no messing :) great to get it in before Valentia.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 haggis_mccloud

Day off work to rest before Tri an Mhi tomorrow.
    Will be at Seapoint at 12.30 for a quick 10 min dip.

Cheers El D

Should get the wetsuit this week so will be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

just saw thread so instead of starting new thread though i'd just add to this.. i'm just wondering is there any groups going swimming in Worlds end in castleconnel yet, if so, what day and time?

Anyone swimming around Dublin tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    Anyone swimming around Dublin tomorrow?

Sent you a mail back, if going out for a cycle i will bring down the wetsuit for after the spin for a quick dip.

Still waiting wetsuit delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I'm not a triathlete (yet!) but I was hoping someone could tell me what the distances are between the yellow buoys at Seapoint? I can't find any info online.

I swam from the tower to the first buoy, on to the second and third and back to the tower. It probably took me around 30 minutes. Felt like a warm bath in this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Anyone interested in meeting up for some training in Wicklow/Wexford areas? Or, if anyone can give me ideas on places to swim that are frequented by others (Wicklow Harbour? Courtown? Where do you go in/swim?). I'm pretty confident, but don't want to swim open water alone, for safety reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Following on from my thread on correct wetsuit fit I've decided that I need to get out and do some OW swims to rule out the cold water as the source of my recent dizzyness!!

Anyone around Malahide/Portmarnock on Sat or Sun?

I'm not great but good to have a but of company and safety in numbers and all that...

Advertisement