Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swim Meet Ups 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

mrboswell wrote: »
    Following on from my thread on correct wetsuit fit I've decided that I need to get out and do some OW swims to rule out the cold water as the source of my recent dizzyness!!

Anyone around Malahide/Portmarnock on Sat or Sun?

I'm not great but good to have a but of company and safety in numbers and all that...

Let me know what time Sunday and I'll meet you at High Rock Portmarnock? Not sure what time the tide is but afternoon/evening would be grand for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Let me know what time Sunday and I'll meet you at High Rock Portmarnock? Not sure what time the tide is but afternoon/evening would be grand for me.

Cool, Don't know where high rock is but I'll find it!
    Will PM you Fri or Sat.

mrboswell wrote: »
    Cool, Don't know where high rock is but I'll find it!
    Will PM you Fri or Sat.

Forgot I had Wicklow 200 on Sunday. Saturday?

Forgot I had Wicklow 200 on Sunday. Saturday?

I'll come back to you tomorrow on that...

High tide is around 15:30 if anyone else fancies the swim?

High Rock Map

• Advertisement

No can do for tomorrow - have to babysit.

Will try to catch up next week for a dip.

Looks wild out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Did a few laps of Wicklow Harbour last week, decent place with a nice bit of shelter. The intention is to be there tomorrow for more of the same (Sat 16th) about 4pm, if anyone is interested in company you're most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

Hi all,
    I have decided to do the Dublin City Tri in Aug so am currently in week 2 of training. I am looking to do some ow training in wicklow harbour as my new wetsuit just arrived :D
    I havent swam ow in ireland before but expect it to be freezing...have lots of ow experience down under though...
    This will be my first tri (am doing the super sprint) and also want to practice transitions so will be bringing bike along for some sessions.
    Anyone up for it? Remember am only in week 2 so my fitness is not great for longer distances-the run is my weakness...
    i can do mornings, evenings if finished before 7.30 and weekends!!

paddlepop wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have decided to do the Dublin City Tri in Aug so am currently in week 2 of training. I am looking to do some ow training in wicklow harbour as my new wetsuit just arrived :D
    I havent swam ow in ireland before but expect it to be freezing...have lots of ow experience down under though...
    This will be my first tri (am doing the super sprint) and also want to practice transitions so will be bringing bike along for some sessions.
    Anyone up for it? Remember am only in week 2 so my fitness is not great for longer distances-the run is my weakness...
    i can do mornings, evenings if finished before 7.30 and weekends!!

Hi paddlepop, I've started to use Wicklow harbour for OW swims. Any time I've been there, there's been quite a few others from Wicklow Swim club there. It's cold all right, but you get used to it after a few minutes! The harbour is great as its sheltered and contained, and offers a fair bit of scope for distance. I grab the opportunity when I am passing by (live in South Wicklow, work in Dublin), but I'll post here if I'm planning a swim in advance, you're more than welcome for the company.

(There's a lifeguard there, if you just wanted to head down yourself though).

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    (There's a lifeguard there, if you just wanted to head down yourself though).

Anywhere northside where a lifeguard is around?

• Advertisement

yeah i know a few of the Wicklow Swimming club people but it doesnt always suit me to swim with them. Sure let me know if you are going down and i may join you. Is there any kind of route/etiquett? ie just swim around the moored boats? i guess you have to be careful of boats coming in/out? If i was to venture out on my own!

yeah i know a few of the Wicklow Swimming club people but it doesnt always suit me to swim with them. Sure let me know if you are going down and i may join you. Is there any kind of route/etiquett? ie just swim around the moored boats? i guess you have to be careful of boats coming in/out? If i was to venture out on my own!

Enter at the slip by the life guard, and we swim southwards around the white and pink bouys, round the moored boats, head for the north pier head, back to the shore, and complete your loop. I've only been there a few times, never had an issue with boats coming or going on that loop. Sometimes the sailing club have a few boats on the water a little wider of the moored boats, but the option is there to extend the loop around the harbour if it's clear. Have a word with the lifeguard if you wanted more expertise on any local etiquette. Good luck!

last question promise-how many meters would that loop be? roughly?

last question promise-how many meters would that loop be? roughly?

Roughly 600m I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'm swimming at 16:00 tomorrow at Seapoint with a fellow boardsie of anyone's about. Hopefully do 30mins or so

Advertisement