Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy O'Gorman

Options
  • 21-04-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Many years ago , i was a regular listener to Paddy O'Gormans various programmes on Radio 1, "queueing for a living " etc . From talking to my friends, his ad hoc spots on the Pat Kenny show, are among the radio highlights for many people each week . His ability to get complete strangers to tell him their life stories are uniquie in irish radio .When will RTE get sense , and give this man his own programme again ? His programmes must be amongst the cheapest to produce, and he attracts plenty of listeners , that probably means , in the RTE way of things , he hasnt a hope .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I wish The Savage Eye would do a send up of O Gorman. It could potentially be gold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I have mixed views on O'Gorman's interviews.
    True, he has an affable manner that brings out the best in the people he meets.

But his subject matter is so repetitive, that I'm beginning to wonder if he is hanging around the same courthouses, dole offices and post offices talking to the same people every week.

Ocassionally he'll wander off to a pawn shop or talk to some hookers for some variety.

But by and large his pieces carry the same traveller and working class Dublin accents with the same tales of hardship and woe.

As for giving him his own show again, he's had quite a few over the years on radio and TV. Perhaps the decision to step back and simply do a 5 minute clip for the PK show is his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I think that the primary reason Paddy and his dog engender so many repetitive tales, is because there are so flippin' many examples of his subject matter out there.

I have to commend him in one sense, he offers a non threatening approach to these people, and lets them weave their own web, it's probably why he's still at it.

Fair play to him, if he manages to highlight the bonkers welfare mentality and the system which supports it, among a large segment of society, in a way which is above criticism, good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ehcor

I really enjoy Paddy's spot too. People want to talk and he's very non-threatening for a journalist, which makes them open up even more.

I suspect his subject matter has to tie in with whatever Pat Kenny is covering on said programme, so I'm not sure he's very free to choose.

I'd love to meet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Many years ago , i was a regular listener to Paddy O'Gormans various programmes on Radio 1, "queueing for a living " etc . From talking to my friends, his ad hoc spots on the Pat Kenny show, are among the radio highlights for many people each week . His ability to get complete strangers to tell him their life stories are uniquie in irish radio .When will RTE get sense , and give this man his own programme again ? His programmes must be amongst the cheapest to produce, and he attracts plenty of listeners , that probably means , in the RTE way of things , he hasnt a hope .

He does have his own show, its just not on at the moment. check the podcasts on the rte site. i agree with you, his spot is the highlight of pk today for me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Yes I think O'Gorman is good at what he does...which is quirky interviews with various people types who would not normally get air time on a national station.

He is getting to be bit of a one trick pony in my opinion...but his peices point up to the sometimes crazy way our courts and social welfare system operate.

Would like to see a longer peice on the courts...still remember his interviews withe thugs young offenders who were attending the childrens court recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I'd love RTE to put together a programme of clips of people telling Paddy to f*ck off and mind his own business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

I'd love RTE to put together a programme of clips of people telling Paddy to f*ck off and mind his own business.

Yeah and giving his dog the nib of a pointed shoe in the back seam...top the TAM ratings that would...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

tbh wrote: »
    He does have his own show, its just not on at the moment. check the podcasts on the rte site. i agree with you, his spot is the highlight of pk today for me

I dont think he has his own programme anymore. All they broadcast now are podcasts of his old showsn and even those were on saturday nights i think. I mean seriously, who actually listens to the radio on saturday nights unless they are driving somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Years ago he did a TV show in my home town. It's a given that he ended up talking to the town cranks but the most amazing part was the bit where he spent time with one of our local scumbags. He fell hook, line and sinker for the yarns this lad was spinning. You'd swear butter wouldn't melt in his mouth the way he was going on, when in fact he was an utter pup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement