Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henna

• 21-04-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Does anyone know anywhere that I could buy Henna in Limerick? I want to dye my hair with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I just bought it off the website

http://www.hennahut.com/home

shipping to europe is a bit pticy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The Health Store in the Crescent Shopping Center sell
    Henna based hair dyes.
    ~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Be careful with henna based hair dyes as many/most of them contain metallic salts that are awful to your hair. If the henna isn't 100% pure don't use it. Anything that says henna burgundy/mahogony/auburn etc isn't pure. Henna is an orange based red dye only, you can alter the shade you get in how you prepare it at home (by mixing it with tea, wine, juice, etc) but if it claims it will produce different colours on the box then it is doing so with metallic salts.

What you ideally want is body art quality henna as this is more likely to be pure. You should be able to find it in any south asian food market. The good news is this is not only the best kindof henna to get but usually the cheapest and you should get enough to colour very long, thick hair for €2-3. Also when you are buying it check the date on the box. The older the henna the oranger the colour your hair will turn out. So if you want red rather than orange get the newest date possible.

When you mix up the henna it's best to do it the day before you want to use it as the dyeing agents activate slowly. I always make up the dye the day before wrap it in plastic and pop it in the hot press until I am ready to put it on the next day. I mix mine with strong back tea as the acid in it makes the dye stronger, while the tannins make the dye a darker red. There are different recipes here if you go down the page; http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html

Advertisement