Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand PCP

Options
  • 21-04-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Any idea how much a good second hand PCP would cost, bearing in mind I have a limited budget and what are the best makes models out there.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I recently got a Crossman .22 I think the model name is Benjamin :confused: Its nothing fancy at all and it only cost €210 brand new. I can hit bottle caps at 30 yards shot after shot with it. Only got it for a few rats and the odd crow round the yard. Id imagine you'd pick up a 2nd hand one for sweet f* all although I dont really know any dealers that have what you'd call a good range of air rifles !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I recently got a Crossman .22 I think the model name is Benjamin :confused: Its nothing fancy at all and it only cost €210 brand new. I can hit bottle caps at 30 yards shot after shot with it. Only got it for a few rats and the odd crow round the yard. Id imagine you'd pick up a 2nd hand one for sweet f* all although I dont really know any dealers that have what you'd call a good range of air rifles !!

What would a scope cost to go on top

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Erk

Usually pcp's are expensive around 400 euro second hand a decent one. I'd go with a fac over 12ft/lbs. prob costing 400-500 mark. Try stakelums in Thurles he has a BSA S10 unbelievable yoke I used to own it until I traded it in. Had no problems shooting rabbits at 50-70 yards. A scope would be around 60-80 for a 3-9x40 I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

What would a scope cost to go on top

I have a cheap tasco 3-9x40 it cost me €60 and does the job fine. The gun is accurate enough to shoot a clay pigeon at 70 yards I havent gone any further and wouldnt bother as thats the absolute limit I'd shoot rabbits at. Great little yoke though, tin of 500 pellets for €8 :D endless fun and very very useful around the yard !!

I have a cheap tasco 3-9x40 it cost me €60 and does the job fine. The gun is accurate enough to shoot a clay pigeon at 70 yards I havent gone any further and wouldnt bother as thats the absolute limit I'd shoot rabbits at. Great little yoke though, tin of 500 pellets for €8 :D endless fun and very very useful around the yard !!

I have a cheap Tasco lying around here somewhere but thought that the PCP would knock off the setting after a while and I would ene up resighting it again. I have an application gone in for a .22lr for longer distances but need a pellet jobbie for around a yard where the birds a being right pest. and the .22lr no good for knocking them out of the trees.

• Advertisement

Erk wrote: »
    Usually pcp's are expensive around 400 euro second hand a decent one. I'd go with a fac over 12ft/lbs. prob costing 400-500 mark. Try stakelums in Thurles he has a BSA S10 unbelievable yoke I used to own it until I traded it in. Had no problems shooting rabbits at 50-70 yards. A scope would be around 60-80 for a 3-9x40 I say.

Any idea what sort of price he is looking for that? I am just looking around at the moment as I am waiting on a .22lr application to come back first. This will be 3rd gun and also waiting for the alarm guy to finish installing the system that is needed for 4th gun:p

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

Any idea what sort of price he is looking for that? I am just looking around at the moment as I am waiting on a .22lr application to come back first. This will be 3rd gun and also waiting for the alarm guy to finish installing the system that is needed for 4th gun:p
    sorry i bought that gun last week

marknjb wrote: »
    sorry i bought that gun last week

No need to be sorry because you bought a gun:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Get yourself over to Aim & Swing in Mountnugent if you can at all - Ian will have something within your budget.

Dunno now but I say around 600 with the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Have you considered how you will pump it up ? You could try a hand pump but going to 200 bar will leave you in a pool of perspiration to put it mildly.
    You will need to factor in the cost of a scuba tank unless you can find an electric pump of which I'd say ther are not many on this island.

recipio wrote: »
    ;) Have you considered how you will pump it up ? You could try a hand pump but going to 200 bar will leave you in a pool of perspiration to put it mildly.
    You will need to factor in the cost of a scuba tank unless you can find an electric pump of which I'd say ther are not many on this island.

I am a scuba diver with all the gear. ie. I have 3 bottles of different sizes:D:D:D

recipio wrote: »

Hill pump is perfectly practical for PCP's with smaller tanks - HW100's etc...
    It's only the bigger tanked rifles that they're a proper pain in the ass for.
    I am a scuba diver with all the gear. ie. I have 3 bottles of different sizes:D:D:D

233bar will work fine, but I use a 7L 300bar Faber and its charge will last months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

how long would it take to pump up a bsa super 10 or a similar sized gun

extremetaz wrote: »
    Hill pump is perfectly practical for PCP's with smaller tanks - HW100's etc...
    It's only the bigger tanked rifles that they're a proper pain in the ass for.

233bar will work fine, but I use a 7L 300bar Faber and its charge will last months!

I have a 3L a 12L and a 15L so between them I should be grand:D

anthonyos wrote: »

hmm.... think they're aroundabout a 350cc bottle so could take 20-30 mins of pumping depending on how fit you are.

To be honest, the hill pump is about €160 and a bottle can be had for about the same - for that machine, I'd definitely be going with the bottle.
    I have a 3L a 12L and a 15L so between them I should be grand:D

You're well catered to so and you've easy access to a compressor as well no doubt so you can fill them no hassle whenever you need - makes the 300bar argument less of an issue.

I've no immediate connections with any scuba clubs so it's handy for me as it lasts a hell of a lot longer than the 233 would.

anthonyos wrote: »

Took me 4 or 5 minutes without stopping. Get used to it you do.

hmm.... think they're aroundabout a 350cc bottle so could take 20-30 mins of pumping depending on how fit you are..

20-30mins? Do you be cooking dinner while doing it? :o
    It takes me 4-6 mins when 3/4 empty going at it full blast. Never took me over 15mins when was doing it.

Erk wrote: »
    20-30mins? Do you be cooking dinner while doing it? :o
    It takes me 4-6 mins when 3/4 empty going at it full blast. Never took me over 15mins when was doing it.

lol - you're a better man than I am. Takes me about 10 minutes to bring the HW100 cylinder (.125L) up from 90 to 230.

Would NOT fancy doing it with a 400cc bottle.

lol - you're a better man than I am. Takes me about 10 minutes to bring the HW100 cylinder (.125L) up from 90 to 230.

Would NOT fancy doing it with a 400cc bottle.

Haha. Mine was a 200cc bottle or around that can't remember. Haa yeah would be hard work but least ya get a workout done :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement