Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so we're moving to Dublin...

Options
  • 21-04-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

hey there,

So the other half got a job in Dublin- new nangor road, Dublin 22

So was wondering where would you recommend to rent a place?

I've yet to find a job up there myself. We don't need to rent a place right next to his job- somewhere near enough, nice, rent not extortionate & near public transport/amenties preferably.

Any suggestions? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anywhere in south Lucan is only a 5-10 minute commute to there

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Yes, but only if you drive.. I don't know of any public transport that covers that route... ie Lucan to the new nangor road....

Good point!

That said, OP isn't suggesting they need to commute by public transport or am I reading this wrong?

Also it's about 20 minutes to cycle / less than an hour to walk

Alternatively there are a few housing estates in Clondalkin closer to the new Nangor road, but I have no experience of living there

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't see any properties for rent in the Cappaghmore estate.

Rosebank Court seems to have a few apartments for rent and that's almost right on New Nangor Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

hi there

op here again

so we're 3 weeks left in our lease & we still haven't found a nice place in Dublin!! ahh

looked a good few places in lucan, dublin 12, 8, clondalkin & either crappy or gone even though they are still up on daft

any advice? we ideally would prefer a two bed house/town house but obv will take an apartment.
    Electric shower as can't stand immersion ones- disadvantages of having long hair & need longish showers)
    parking for two cars aswell & our budget is very max €950 p/m

are we asking for too much for that budget??

thanks

• Advertisement

hi there

just an update

viewing a couple places today & tomorrow:

1. newlands manor in clondalkin

2. deerpark close, tallaght

3. cedarbrook, park west, dublin 12

anyone have opinions in these??

thanks so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

jillyb wrote: »
    hi there

just an update

1. newlands manor in clondalkin

2. deerpark close, tallaght

thanks so much

For your info,The above in Bold is actually Ballyfermot and is not in Parkwest,Its near the train station,Bit of a rough area there.

he thanks for letting me know!

any places you'd recommend we look? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Jillyb - have you looked at the apartments in the Orchard in Lucan village?
    I lived there for a while a few years ago and liked the place - it's nice and quiet and plenty of parking.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Jillyb - have you looked at the apartments in the Orchard in Lucan village?
    I lived there for a while a few years ago and liked the place - it's nice and quiet and plenty of parking.

Hi Heroditas,

Ya we were looking at Lucan & i saw a nice place in the orchard on daft. Its still up there even though i called them last week & its gone :(

Will keep an eye out for anymore in that area. Thanks!

• Advertisement

I just saw a place in mount andrew rise in lucan!

Is that in a nice area of Lucan? :)

Mount Andrew isn't too bad.
    There's a halting site nearby - that might bother some people.

hmm yes maybe not so good!!

viewing a place in gandon court tomorrow, looks nice enough so hopefully thats a nice area :)

hmm yes maybe not so good!!

viewing a place in gandon court tomorrow, looks nice enough so hopefully thats a nice area :)

Right in the centre of Lucan village.
    That will be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

hi there

just an update

thanks so much
    we live in Cedarbrook. Its Cherry Orchard D10 although if you walk 2 mins towards the train station you're in D22.

We own our apartment so we're here for a few more years. It can be a little rough at times. It all depends on your neighbours here so if they're nice everything is fine. I'm used to it now do its hard to be totally objective.

On the plus side the rents are reasonable, you have your own garden or a big balcony, there's the 79a bus stop outside or the 79 very close too and we have a train station with trains to/from Heuston every hour.

hey guys

Just giving ye an update!

Its down to two places now. This : http://www.daft.ie/21244734

my other half saw yesterday and he likes it so i'm going up in next couple of days to take a look. Only cons (small stuff) no dishwasher, small fridge & only one double wardrobe for us both

and this place : http://www.daft.ie/21244094

I think the pics of the second place are nicer but I cant see it til monday and we'll prob have to decide on the first place before then!
    Only cons aswell (small stuff) is not sure about dishwasher & not an electric shower.

what ye think? thanks again for all the posts

Personally, I'd go for Woodview.
    It's right beside Tesco and you're only a few minutes walk from Lucan Village via the overbridge. You'll have access to a large number of buses heading into the city centre such as the 66 and 67, as well as the 25.
    You also have a pharmacy and the doctor right beside you, along with a few other shops attached to Tesco such as Xtravision and Dominos!

Larkfield isn't too bad and you're right beside the outer ring road so it would be handy to get down that towards Citywest etc via the car.
    It's just a little bit out of the way for stuff like going into Lucan Village - you'd have a lot more amenities on your doorstep if you go with Woodview.
    Larkfield doesn't have too many shops within walking distance bar Penny Hill where you'll find Lidl and a fairly large Eurospar.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.
    Woodview will add a little bit to the commuting time to the Nangor Road.

Both are in nice areas though but Woodview might be perceived as a little bit more settled.

Thanks Heroditas!!

Ya the larkfield one looks superficially better but think it'll be better to be closer to amenities etc so think the Woodview is better overall

Thanks so much for all your posts you've been very helpful and of course to everyone else!

Fingers crossed now that I like it when I see it! You know men can be not as fussy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heroditas wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go for Woodview.
    It's right beside Tesco and you're only a few minutes walk from Lucan Village via the overbridge. You'll have access to a large number of buses heading into the city centre such as the 66 and 67, as well as the 25.
    You also have a pharmacy and the doctor right beside you, along with a few other shops attached to Tesco such as Xtravision and Dominos!

Larkfield isn't too bad and you're right beside the outer ring road so it would be handy to get down that towards Citywest etc via the car.
    It's just a little bit out of the way for stuff like going into Lucan Village - you'd have a lot more amenities on your doorstep if you go with Woodview.
    Larkfield doesn't have too many shops within walking distance bar Penny Hill where you'll find Lidl and a fairly large Eurospar.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.
    Woodview will add a little bit to the commuting time to the Nangor Road.

Both are in nice areas though but Woodview might be perceived as a little bit more settled.

When we were looking we looked at both these estates 5 years ago:

I start with Woodview:

1) Nice estate and chemist and doctors and tesco handy. Please note its a crap tesco, i shop there and its useless.

2) If village is your aim, your not close to the village, be about 15 mins using the bridge at tesco. Not using the bridge its a 1.5 mile walk as i run the route often.

3) Buses are a nightmare when we looked here. 25 goes thru village which is bad for rush hour. Stops for 66x, 67x etc are a real good walk away in the morning, on the way home its not too bad as stop close to tesco. Anything not an "x" doesnt go the full way on the n4 as far as i know, instead goes thru chaplizord village(badly spelt)

Larkfield
    1) Buses are very good here, takes about 25 mins to city centre or less in the morning. Direct to city, no chapelizord or anything. 25a/25b are the buses. If your planning on getting bus before 7.45 you get a seat no problem, after that i heard there were issues but think these are sorted.

2) You have doctors, physio etc across road and chemist with supermarkets in pennyhill area, which is closeby.

3)Your about 2.5 miles from the village but down hill, big hill for on the way home, but your close to liffey valley.

4) There is a council estate behind it and your in the wrong parish for some of the schools.

I didnt buy in any of these estates after, but it all depends on what's important to you.

The Tesco, although not as good as other ones, is still a helluva lot better than the Eurospar in Pennyhill.
    It's a good 25-30min walk from the village to Larkfield and plenty of hills.
    I just think Pennyhill in general is grotty. :(
    As for the pub itself......

Chapelizod has a bus corridor all the way now apart from the short stretch on the bridge. Marked improvement as a result.

Don't get me wrong, Larkfield is nice but I guess I'd prefer to be up in Woodview if I rented.
    If I was buying, it might be different though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Larkfield

4) There is a council estate behind it and your in the wrong parish for some of the schools.

Just for balance - there is also a council estate behind Woodview and it is also in the wrong parish for some schools.

FWIW though, I would also prefer Woodview to Larkfield. It's got a lot more amenities nearby, though I would agree that it is not in the best location for buses. Both estates are nice though.

Larkfield

Just for balance - there is also a council estate behind Woodview and it is also in the wrong parish for some schools.

FWIW though, I would also prefer Woodview to Larkfield. It's got a lot more amenities nearby, though I would agree that it is not in the best location for buses. Both estates are nice though.

Pennnyhill is not the best alright. Plus and minus for each area. But Lucan is great.

But Lucan is great.

I think we can all agree on that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I would say consider citywest and saggart,rathcoole..some lovely apartments,good areas and all amenities on you door e.g luas stop..

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1238831

and your in the wrong parish for some of the schools.

Some people would say that the best primary schools in Lucan have nothing to do with the parish system of the Catholic church...

unkel wrote: »
    Some people would say that the best primary schools in Lucan have nothing to do with the parish system of the Catholic church...

And those people could be correct.

well had a look at the two lucan places and th woodview one was way too small and the larkfield one still isnt available to view.
    Put our references in for two places:

lucan : http://www.daft.ie/21246884 & walkinstown : http://www.daft.ie/21246201

still waiting to hear back so viewing this place in arthur griffith park
    http://www.daft.ie/21228980

and crumlin http://www.daft.ie/21246719

Heard mixed reviews about arthur griffith park so not sure!!

If it were me, I'd hold on for the Larkfield place ahead of the others you mentioned.

hey guys

So we didnt get the hansted place. She had over 20 viewings over 2 days! so everyone had to put in references. its soo crazy looking for a place at the mo and out lease is up on sat!!

So we provisionally have the walkinstown place. My other half is going along tomorrow evening to check it out and see if they will furnish is more.

Its meant to be furnished but its barely really. Do you think if we asked they would put some items in?The below list we have always had in rental places and this property doesn't have:

microwave
    coffee table
    bedside lockers
    tv stand
    mirrors over the bathroom sink - bit weird not having them
    towel ring
    toilet roll holder
    cutlery and crockery( we have some and I know places don't have to provide them alright)

We would have to buy them all as dont have them.I saw the apartment was sold to the landlord not long ago still up on daft as let agreed. The pics are the same as when they put it up for rent except they put in beds and thats all.

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

far better places in lucan than walkinstown.arthur griffith is a council estate.can be rough.castle riada,esker meadows are nice quiet spots

Advertisement