Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gel/acrylic nails

Options
  • 21-04-2012 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to get these done cos I've started biting my own nails again and need something to physically stop me doing it- they're bitten right down. Will gel/acrylic nails ruin my natural nails? Also, I have a club thumb a la Megan Fox (looks like this) will this be a problem?
    If anyone can recommend a salon that would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've generally got strong nails. I know everybody is different, but my experience of gel nails is that my own nails were destroyed by them, and I had to wait until they grew out from the cuticle up before they were back to their original condition.

That said, if your nails are destroyed by biting, you might be better off getting them if it means your natural nails have a chance to grow at all. I'm not sure how your thumb would effect the application and I suppose only a manicurist can assess that for you.

Its not a lot of help Magenta, but there are definite cons to gel nails, though maybe for a persistent biter the pros might outweigh them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking to get these done cos I've started biting my own nails again and need something to physically stop me doing it- they're bitten right down. Will gel/acrylic nails ruin my natural nails? Also, I have a club thumb a la Megan Fox (looks like this) will this be a problem?
    If anyone can recommend a salon that would be great. Thanks

Magenta, I have had gel nails for 2 years and I love them. The reason I got them was because Of my job as my nail varnish was chipping constantly. Be careful who you go to though as I have seen people get them done "cheaply" and the discoloured after a week. I only go to two people both use creative nails and are amazing. I am constantly asked who does my nails. Tge first time you get them, you will need tips but I reckon after 8 weeks it will be your own nails. Are you in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I LOVE gel nails.
    I started getting them done about 6 months ago. I was growing my own nails and putting hardener on them but nothing would work and any snag or crack and Id bite them. And to be honest, I was too lazy to look after them right.

One morning I woke up after a night out, looked at my hands and thought I needed to do something about them.

It is true that your own nails do suffer, but on the other side, if like me above you still wouldnt have nails (due to cracking, biting, being lazy looking after them etc), I highly recommend them. You can get different colour gels or paint over the gel (and remove with acetone free nail varnish remover). You have to get them filled every 3 weeks or so. They are actually addictive.

If your nails are very short, they can add tips to start you off. Then as your nails grow, you own nails will be the basis for the gel.

I dont know what part of the country you are in to recommend someone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I'm in Dublin :)

Ah I dont know Dublin at all sorry. But I would go on word of mouth. There are some places that do not do them properly (dont "cap" them right at the tip of your nail, so they'll chip. Seems to be the same with the shellac). Also, it should take 1hr-1.15hr to get all the layers done right (even with refills).

I dont mean this in anyways degrogative against Irish girls doing them, Im sure there are some really good, consciencious ones out there, but the eastern european girls seem to be trained better at doing them. Even down to the shaping of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

Gel/acrylic nails don't ruin your natural nails but picking them off, not keeping your nails hydrated with cuticle oil while you have them on and the enhancement being put on badly or cheap products being used is what ruin your natural nail!

CND or creative nails is the best brand of nail enhancements out there at the moment they have a base in dublin if you google creative academy it should come up also if you ring them they will tell you were the closest nail tech is to you! They will be able to help you! Hope that helped and enjoy your new nails :D

Magenta wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin :)

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Not many places do gel anymore - I'd say if you want them done well then go to the best guys which would be Creative Nails - they're in Cabra, or else Young Nails, I think they're on south side somewhere? They're very reputable brands

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I've been tempted to get gel nails for ages because mine break constantly.I havent a clue about them if you can answer some questions gals!

What are the benefits over getting a Shellac every 3 weeks?
    How much do they cost?
    How often do you have to get them re-done?

Millem- could you PM those details to me too? Cheers

Thanks!!

CBFi wrote: »
    I've been tempted to get gel nails for ages because mine break constantly.I havent a clue about them if you can answer some questions gals!

What are the benefits over getting a Shellac every 3 weeks?
    How much do they cost?
    How often do you have to get them re-done?

Millem- could you PM those details to me too? Cheers

Thanks!!

I get my gel nails refilled every 4 weeks. But to be honest I could get away with every 5 weeks but I want them to look perfect all year round!! I pay €30 for refills and any nail fixes are free (this is extremely rare that my nail will break and it is always my fault). The girl I go to does them in her house, is extremely busy and is not taking on any new clients at the mo. I highly recommend her friend Emilia from stylistics in Loughlinstown. She uses creative/CND. She is slightly more expensive but obvisiously has higher overheads. Those two are the only people I will let do my nails! I was thinking of getting shellac but my girl said gel will last longer.

• Advertisement

I get mine done every 3 weeks - e35 for colour/white tips.

They dont chip if done correctly. Shellac is a soft gel, gel nails are hard gel. Gel last alot longer, bar the growth at the cuticle, which you will get anyways.

abrr1000 wrote: »
    Not many places do gel anymore

Not sure what you mean by that!! It is rare to see a place not doing gel nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

I get acrylic nails done in J nails on capel st, it's either 30 or 35 for Full set, I can't remember. They're great! I usually get white tips and can just paint over them!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

Millem wrote: »
    Magenta, I have had gel nails for 2 years and I love them. The reason I got them was because Of my job as my nail varnish was chipping constantly. Be careful who you go to though as I have seen people get them done "cheaply" and the discoloured after a week. I only go to two people both use creative nails and are amazing. I am constantly asked who does my nails. Tge first time you get them, you will need tips but I reckon after 8 weeks it will be your own nails. Are you in Dublin?
    Share Millem ;-)

fatfacee wrote: »
    Share Millem ;-)

Look at last post! Emilia in stylistics in Loughlinstown! I didn't pm my girls details as she is not taking any more clients but Emilia is my back up! She is just as good but a little bit more expensive as she is in a salon! I get my nails in the bright pink with square round tip and not too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've gotten plenty of two week manis (Shellac, Geleration, Gelish etc) and they all chip, often within a few days. The only thing is they are cheaper than full gels and soak off easily.

Full gels (like Bio Sculpture) really last much longer, but there are questions over their prolonged use. They can take longer to take off, but they are much more resistant.

I get colour done (can't stand French polishes) and the only problem I have is in getting that bare piece of nail filled in due to regrowth of the nail.

I get my gel nails refilled every 4 weeks. But to be honest I could get away with every 5 weeks but I want them to look perfect all year round!! I pay €30 for refills and any nail fixes are free (this is extremely rare that my nail will break and it is always my fault). The girl I go to does them in her house, is extremely busy and is not taking on any new clients at the mo. I highly recommend her friend Emilia from stylistics in Loughlinstown. She uses creative/CND. She is slightly more expensive but obvisiously has higher overheads. Those two are the only people I will let do my nails! I was thinking of getting shellac but my girl said gel will last longer.

These are my nails

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

dudara wrote: »
    I've gotten plenty of two week manis (Shellac, Geleration, Gelish etc) and they all chip, often within a few days. The only thing is they are cheaper than full gels and soak off easily.

I have Gelicure on for 19 days now and the first chip only appeared today! My nails are long enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tri777

Can anyone recommend anyone in the Cork area for Gel nails with nail art? Ideally to come to my home but would be happy to travel if they were good and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

What is the best way to remove acrylic nails, or do I have to go back to the salon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

PlayGirl wrote: »
    What is the best way to remove acrylic nails, or do I have to go back to the salon?

Most definitely go back to the salon to get them removed properly and to avoid damaging your natural nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ds1505

Hi girls,

I just came from the new salon in Dublin. It is more a nail bar in a tanning salon than the entire salon (it's called Nailed Again Dublin on facebook) in Townsend Street (close to O'Connell bridge).

Girl just started doing the acrylics and she said that she is still a "beginner", but, in my opinion, she is doing a really good job.

The promotion for this week was only 5 euro. She is opening new promotion every Sunday, but she said she won't be charge full set of acrylics more than 20 euro.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

ds1505 wrote: »
    Hi girls,

I just came from the new salon in Dublin. It is more a nail bar in a tanning salon than the entire salon (it's called Nailed Again Dublin on facebook) in Townsend Street (close to O'Connell bridge).

Girl just started doing the acrylics and she said that she is still a "beginner", but, in my opinion, she is doing a really good job.

The promotion for this week was only 5 euro. She is opening new promotion every Sunday, but she said she won't be charge full set of acrylics more than 20 euro.

Hope this helps :)

I wouldn't trust the fact that you have to pay in advance using your bank card/ Paypal. It is a very new business. Not "dealing with cash as it slows things down" is a bit of a red flag to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ds1505

I wouldn't trust the fact that you have to pay in advance using your bank card/ Paypal. It is a very new business. Not "dealing with cash as it slows things down" is a bit of a red flag to me.

Well it worked for me :)

Advertisement