Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take to open an account?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 8:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

If I go into AIB or BOI on Monday with my passport and proof of my address (a letter from the Grants body should do, right?) can they open one for me there and then?

I suppose I'll need my university ID card for a student account too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

My advice would be to go with Ulster Bank.

Overall better bank,free banking,and they will issue you with the new Visa debit card within a few days.

PS, to open an account you need,proof of address(a bill),PPS number,Passport or Drivers licence or maybe some other Photo ID might be accepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

My advice would be to go with Ulster Bank.

Overall better bank,free banking,and they will issue you with the new Visa debit card within a few days.

PS, to open an account you need,proof of address(a bill),PPS number,Passport or Drivers licence or maybe some other Photo ID might be accepted.
    I'm literally only opening the account so I can get my grant paid into it. I will be withdrawing the money as soon as I can. AIB and BOI are local so for convenience reasons I'm going with one of them.

I don't have any bills as none are in my name. Surely a letter from the County council re my grant should be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If thats all you have,try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Electoral register.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I heard you have to pay money in when opening one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Pardon?

Aside from the documents I need, am I correct in saying the account will be opened there and then (i.e. I receive an account number)?

Do I need to pay any money in to open it?

A printout of your entry in the current electoral register should be sufficient for proof of address.

The bank will have access to www.checktheregister.ie and should be able to print it out on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I switched from aib to boi on Friday at 3pm and I got my account number the same day. I was told the account should be active by tuesday. I'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 marywary

If you have photo id along with grant letter showing your home address then aib can open a/c for you while you wait, they have to get your id approved but usually only an hour or so, you'll get all the usuals, free banking for students, debit/atm card, interest free overdraft on application etc. Find them pretty helpful overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Thanks. Can someone tell me do I need to lodge money when opening it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

No you dont

• Advertisement
Advertisement