Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower install cost

Options
  • 21-04-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Just wondering can someone give me a breakdown cost of wiring an electric shower. The shower will be mounted and plumbed by others. Price should include labour, 40amp rcbo, 20m of 10sq cable and pull cord.

Any thread I've found has been from the boom times so the prices are a bit steep for today's climate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mozil

GARO 40 amp rcbo 21E
    20m 10sq 50E
    45amp DP pull cord 10E

just got these prices off an online wholesalers pm if you want the name

as for labour all your really doing is running a cable, and it seems to me your just fishing for prices, you could probly get that done for 20 quid others might try charging you 80E others more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you're probably supplying yourself by the sound of it

labour depends on cable route and standard of work etc

not much to breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

M cebee wrote: »
    you're probably supplying yourself by the sound of it

labour depends on cable route and standard of work etc

not much to breakdown

I work for an industrial electrical contractor and dont do nixers to often nowadays. I supplied the materials from stuff i had bought a couple of years ago but just wanted to check whats the going rate for labour and materials in todays climate. The job took me 2.5 hours and was very neat. All cables were fished down plasterboard walls and through attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

mozil wrote: »
    GARO 40 amp rcbo 21E
    20m 10sq 50E
    45amp DP pull cord 10E

as for labour all your really doing is running a cable, and it seems to me your just fishing for prices, you could probly get that done for 20 quid others might try charging you 80E others more...

20 quid:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

you could probly get that done for 20 quid

This work should be carried by a professional and they won't work for 1/2 of the minimum wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

GARO 40 amp rcbo 21E
    20m 10sq 50E
    45amp DP pull cord 10E

€20? That might just cover the diesel in his van.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Now from the 1st off...Im not saying everyone or refering to everyone....But.......

Theres a few professional sparks ( and other professional trades people) out there,who are sick and tired of being on the dole (after being laid off work through no fault of their own) and would do the work at a lower rate,just for the sake of doing a few hours worth of work.

More so for something to do and keeping occupied and not being bored or becomming depressed (massive increase in this illness in the construction/trade skills sector).

All because the banks not giving money/credit to companies so companies closing down/letting staff go,and also Mr Kenny and Mr Gilmore with their constant lies and total lack of job creation and thus forcing mass emmigration instead.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Paddy, what do you think a fair price would be for the above job?

paddy147 wrote: »
    Now from the 1st off...Im not saying everyone or refering to everyone....But.......

Theres a few professional sparks ( and other professional trades people) out there,who are sick and tired of being on the dole (after being laid off work through no fault of their own) and would do the work at a lower rate,just for the sake of doing a few hours worth of work.

More so for something to do and keeping occupied and not being bored or becomming depressed (massive increase in this illness in the construction/trade skills sector).

All because the banks not giving money/credit to companies so companies closing down/letting staff go,and also Mr Kenny and Mr Gilmore with their constant lies and total lack of job creation and thus forcing mass emmigration instead.:mad:

I think shower installs are one of the easiest to do. Id would do the plumbing side of it as well, but not a hope id be doing even just the electrical side of it on an already installed shower for €20.

Doodoo wrote: »
    I work for an industrial electrical contractor and dont do nixers to often nowadays. I supplied the materials from stuff i had bought a couple of years ago but just wanted to check whats the going rate for labour and materials in todays climate. The job took me 2.5 hours and was very neat. All cables were fished down plasterboard walls and through attic.

fishing t+e at random down a plasterboard wall wouldn't be allowed afaik

it'd be ok if it is 'going to a point' or has mechanical protection

i'd have to look up the exact rules on it

• Advertisement

I thought that would be ok myself. Put up what you find out anyway.

doubt it

i would never fish a t+e at random through a stud wall or drylined wall myself

surface pvc trunking

doesn't seem to be allowed

within 150mm of corner or ceiling it's allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

Is this house a bungalow or 2 story? 2 story makes it an awful lot harder, pulling up floorboards etc etc.

So the belief is, a picture being hung, and a plastic wavin will protect the double insulated cable?

All existing cables from the attic to the board in the house are ran in the exact same way.

If you were wiring a house, and a few circuits are going up inside a studded wall from downstairs to attic, wavin is needed around them?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    So the belief is, a picture being hung, and a plastic wavin will protect the double insulated cable?

no

cables drop to a point generally

if they're hidden randomly behind a slab etc,that's a different matter

you don't expect them to be there

lynchieboy wrote: »
    Is this house a bungalow or 2 story? 2 story makes it an awful lot harder, pulling up floorboards etc etc.

Standard 4 bed semi.

Any chance of an answer to the original question - a price for the job.

If you were wiring a house, and a few circuits are going up inside a studded wall from downstairs to attic, wavin is needed around them?

armour or conduit or surface pvc trunking

that's the rules afaik

always thought this was common knowledge unless i'm hugely mistaken

building voids and cavity walls aren't covered by this rule

and there's special rules for bathrooms

• Advertisement

armour or conduit or surface pvc trunking

that's the rules afaik

always thought this was common knowledge unless i'm hugely mistaken

building voids and cavity walls aren't covered by this rule

and there's special rules for bathrooms

Well i should of said partition wall rather than studded as thats what i meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

Without looking at the job I'd say around €200. Pulling up floor boards and getting cable up to attic could be messy depending on where the consumer unit is located.

no

cables drop to a point generally

if they're hidden randomly behind a slab etc,that's a different matter

you don't expect them to be there

It must be the thinking behind it. If its ok to "randomly" put the cable within 150mm of the corner without conduit, (a rule that has come up here before), then putting it down the middle if the wall requiring conduit is because it is more likely to be nailed etc.

Well i should of said partition wall rather than studded as thats what i meant.

'concealed' wires in solid walls,hollow walls and partitions

must have armour or conduit unless dropping to a 'point'

or ran within 150mm of corner or ceiling

that's the basic jist of it as far as i can tell

i always assumed it was the case without checking

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

'concealed' wires in solid walls,hollow walls and partitions

must have armour or conduit unless dropping to a 'point'

or ran within 150mm of corner or ceiling

that's the basic jist of it as far as i can tell

i always assumed it was the case without checking
    If the cable is running vertically to a socket, switch etc. it is not considered "concealed". Because if somebody sees a socket they should know not to nail a picture above it. This is how it was explained to me by an inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Doodoo wrote: »
    Standard 4 bed semi.

Any chance of an answer to the original question - a price for the job.

I would always give a price for doing a shower and not time+materials.
    Usually around €300+vat +or- depending on hardship involved..

But it can often work out more because its usually an older house that hasnt got an electric shower installed and people always fail to look at the most important fact first which is what size are the mains tails.

A lot of houses are still fed with a 6sq mains so these will need to be upgraded which means giving the ESB €161 after the electritian has given a cert and probably had to stick an earth rod in aswell..

Then the electrician has to come back to replace his tails and what ever other work is needed at the board for the change over..

All this has to be paid for and thats before we get on to doing the shower..

Pricing a job without looking at it is near impossible as every job is unique and you never know whats actually involved till you see it..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

I sorta agree with this because if I found myself on the dole Im sure I would do some jobs for cash at lower price just to keep going and to get out of the house too.

But unfortunatly this has the very bad side effect of putting legit lads out of business therfore putting more lads on the dole.

Its a very difficult subject as altough I understand why people would do it I still would have to be against it..

2011 wrote: »
    If the cable is running vertically to a socket, switch etc. it is not considered "concealed". Because if somebody sees a socket they should know not to nail a picture above it. This is how it was explained to me by an inspector.

the rules don't put it that way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

paddymick wrote: »
    I sorta agree with this because if I found myself on the dole Im sure I would do some jobs for cash at lower price just to keep going and to get out of the house too.

But unfortunatly this has the very bad side effect of putting legit lads out of business therfore putting more lads on the dole.

Its a very difficult subject as altough I understand why people would do it I still would have to be against it..

I never said anything about anyone not being legit.

There are many professionals who go to the SW office and declare when they get a days work or even a few hours work.

So lets not just presume and taint everyone with the 1 brush.

Regards.:)

• Advertisement

I never said anything about anyone not being legit.

There are many professionals who go to the SW office and declare when they get a days or work or even a few hours work.

So lets not just presume and taint everyone with the 1 brush.

Regards.:)

:D

Advertisement