Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sighting of a fox running through the IFSC

Options
  • 21-04-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I was walking through the ifsc las Wednesday evening at approximately 7pm and I saw a red fox running past La Touché House and then by the the harbourmaster. I ran back towards the harbourmaster and 3 people outside verified my sighting. Did anyone else here happen to see a fox in the city centre on Wednesday evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

There are foxes all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

yep - you might not often see them but they are all over the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Why would you run because of a fox and it hardly needed eye-witnesses! Foxes are around the place. Heck when I moved here from London I surpised that there wasn't more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

D-Generate wrote: »
    Why would you run because of a fox and it hardly needed eye-witnesses! Foxes are around the place. Heck when I moved here from London I surpised that there wasn't more.

Well, he's obviously not as cool as you, was excited to see the fox, lost his inhibitions and broke in to a run! Imagine he did that in London? The shame.

Yeah Pugwall, they are everywhere, lots of abandoned and derelict places, big gardens, parks etc... for them to hang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i see them all the time in terenure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

They're everywhere. I have seen one crossing from Christchurch Cathedral to that weird little park that's closed to the public across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Saw one around Holles Street a few weeks ago! Used to see them all over the place when I lived in Rathmines!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Can't say I've ever noticed, must keep a closer eye out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pugwall wrote: »
    I was walking through the ifsc las Wednesday evening at approximately 7pm and I saw a red fox running past
    Was she late for her Luas? I hope she wasn't wearing heels. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Do they not get hit with all the traffic?
    I live in the countryside and we see them all the time but alot of them are killed on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've never seen or heard a city fox before about midnight, so much less traffic about. Their shyness would tend to keep them away from traffic. They will also be more used to traffic and slower speeds means better survivability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

See them regularly enough around Fishamble Street and the DCC building after 7 or 8pm at night,reckon they must be infected with every disease going judging by the amount of syringes discarded on nearly every green space in the area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Frank McNally was writing about urban foxes in the paper during the week. I wonder where he's talking about where he met that particular fox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have seen them all over the city, albeit never in the city centre itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Always see them around Holles Street / Pearse Street. AFAIK, they are in Merrion Square Park and come out at night for food.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Common enough in suburban areas. I've seen them a couple of times in the early evening out here in Clontarf, getting his nose stuck into a rubbish bin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Saw a fox and three cubs at the IFSC last year. Seemed to be doing okay, even if I was quite surprised to see them strolling around at midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I often see them around Sandymount if I'm walking home after a night out. One night around 4am I saw one running on the footpath across the road in my direction, followed by a big bounding labrador! Lol'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I regularly see them around Rialto and Drimnagh. In the space of 10 minutes one evening about 11pm I seen 5 in different places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

There are tonnes of them around Grand Canal Dock, so I'm not surprised that they're in the IFSC too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I Used to live in East Wall (Beside IFSC) and I saw them all the time. City's are good places for foxes as there is plenty of food to scavange for in the small hours of the morning.

Advertisement