Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird things……

• 21-04-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I heard on the radio one day about these antics that people do, but don't necessarily tell people they do. For instance, they stir their tea 10 times in one direction and then 10 times in another direction cos they think something will happen their family if they dont. Or that they have to flick on the light switch a certain number of times cos they think things are going to happen.

So, my question is, what weirdness do you get up to? And if you are all-perfect (as i know a lot of you are) what weirdness does someone you know get up to???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I enter a series of numbers on a computer in my basement every 108 minutes, because I believe the world will end if I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm perfectly normal as are all the people I know :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The condition your describing is obsessive compulsive disorder. I experience it myself, albeit in a mild form

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

I like to have the volume on the tv on an even number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I do it a lot, things have to be arranged in order, TV volume is always even, shoelaces have to be equal lengths before I tie them, hoodie strings have to be the same length and if I bite one nail I have to bite the same one on the other hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

If I fondle or otherwise interact with a lady's booby, I have to give equal attention to the other one.

I think most men are like that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I enter a series of numbers on a computer in my basement every 108 minutes, because I believe the world will end if I don't.

Desmond?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I always have to put the toilet lid down before I flush.. otherwise the devil will get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

xzanti wrote: »
    I always have to put the toilet lid down before I flush.. otherwise the devil will get out.
    Clearly you don't play "beat the flush" when you take a wizz. Love that game.

At home, I always have to go back to the bathroom to check I've flushed the toilet. Even though I know I flushed it, and I know I've never before forgotten to flush it, I invariably can't resist the urge to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

At home, I always have to go back to the bathroom to check I've flushed the toilet. Even though I know I flushed it, and I know I've never before forgotten to flush it, I invariably can't resist the urge to check.

There will be less toilet flushing once the water charges come in :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

My shoes will always have to be laid down evenly, doors have to be closed,Everything has its place and is put there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I always look at the tissue when I blow my nose, but so does everyone, why?

I use 2 toothbrushes in secession when I am brushing my teeth, I believe a different toothbrush will get a part of my teeth the other missed. I have always done this, I don't know if there is a basis to this, but I have only one filling which I got as a child, I also have rarely went to a dentist, although I will be making an appointment next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Guess this counts.... Though, only gamers, or 360 gamers specifically will be able to appreciate it. After a while, I'll put in all the games I've got 100% done on so I'll have all my games I'm finished with together, so that I can track what I have to do in other things, or decide no, I'll pass.

Don't know if others do this one. Say you are supposed to meet up with someone and you are waiting there, passing the time by say, looking at reg plates, and dividing the number by the year. Just something to idle a bit of time while waiting. Well, when I'm not thinking on something more important, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

OCD is not "weirdness", it's a very real anxiety disorder that can cause debilitating problems for the person afflicted-and knock on problems for family and friends of those who have it.

My ex of 8 years has it and it caused some problems in our relationship. Not his fault and I knew what it was before I found out he had it so I was sympathetic, but it was still hard to deal with. The biggest issue was that he had to meet me outside work Every. Single. Day. without fail, and he would physically stop me from going the few hundred meters to the local shop on my own every day (we lived together). He feared something would happen to me if I was out on my own.
    Yeah, fun times. :(

Greentopia wrote: »
    OCD is not "weirdness", it's a very real anxiety disorder that can cause debilitating problems for the person afflicted-and knock on problems for family and friends of those who have it.

My ex of 8 years has it and it caused some problems in our relationship. Not his fault and I knew what it was before I found out he had it so I was sympathetic, but it was still hard to deal with. The biggest issue was that he had to meet me outside work Every. Single. Day. without fail, and he would physically stop me from going the few hundred meters to the local shop on my own every day (we lived together). He feared something would happen to me if I was out on my own.

You will never know, but he probably saved your life.

Fairplay to your patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I always make sure I put my trousers on before my shirt when getting dressed.

I've recently shook off the "volume on an even number" thing. So much freedom with the volume now. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

When typing, if I mispell a word I HAVE to correct it ASAP with an asterix preceeding the correctly spelt word, even if its blindingly obvious what I was trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

*preceding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

44leto wrote: »
    You will never know, but he probably saved your life.

:D I think not. We lived in a very safe city in a very safe country.
    He still lives there and is married with kids to a friend of mine now, so it's not my problem any more anyway.
    44leto wrote: »
    Fairplay to your patience.

Well I distinguished the disorder from R. the man. He had little control over what his brain was telling him to do so I could hardly blame him or punish him for it. He was a kind smart chap and I loved him so I dealt with it as best I could until he made the decision to get treatment for it.

He's done so and I think he's able to deal with it much better now.
    The reason we broke up had nothing to do with his OCD.
    We're still friends anyway so all's well... :)

• Advertisement

Watch Danish or Swedish subtitled series on BBC4 on Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

My elderly next door neighbour wears his underpants up to his nipples with his shirt tucked in.
    I know its not OCD,hes just a cracked oul cnut.

There will be less toilet flushing once the water charges come in :eek:

I was actually offered a holiday by my ex when we were going out, it was to visit family of his. I would have had my flights and accommodation all taken care of for me, but I couldn't go for one reason. In the house of the family we would have been visiting they practice the philosophy of "if it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow".

I wish I was grown up enough to be able to deal with that. But I wasn't. And still amn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭numbnutz

Just gotten used to sleeping with the wardrobes closed.....
    If I rub the top of my fourth finger on my right hand very lightly I can feel it on the back of my throat....weird...maybe I'm wired arseways!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

I have a thng that I don't really like buttons ad I unconciously buy very few clothes that would have them on. It's usually velco or zips or poppers (they're not proper buttons).

Some things you can't avoid, jeans, shirts etc. and to be honest I can handle them, but if something has big buttons or loads of buttons (like a mackintosh coat) or a button with no function, just decoration, it kind of gives me the wibbly wobblies.

And what's the deal with cushions and bed linen with buttons on? They give me the creeps altogether......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭flipper87

I caught my fiancée having sex with a big black man. She has the oddest little habits god bless her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Greentopia wrote: »

Surely the above points to an aspiring control artist/frenetic insecurity rather than a touch of the auld OCDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

I stack the dishwasher the same way. Doesn't bother me the 2nd / 3rd time filling it etc, but the first time has to be right. I've only just been able to deal with people putting bowls on the top shelf!!

I also hang hangers (and the clothes on them) in the same direction.

When I swim, its in set of 10. Although I don't think that's an OCD thing, it just makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

Sometimes I count stairs as I traverse them. But I only count to 4, then start back at one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

I will only put deoderant on after I put my bra on other I think I will get cancer :confused: No idea where this idea gave from...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

if i think of something in my head that is bad/ a danger to others etc i have to say out loud 'its not going to happen' otherwise it will happen! it can happen anywhere but i usually just whisper it when im out :L i have to do everything in a certain order like getting ready in the morning and cleaning the house all have an order. i have to check that my kids are breathing every night before i go to bed but i think every mother does that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm a bugger for going back to make sure the front door is shut or the car door is locked when I park the car. I've made myself late a few times walking a few minutes in one direction then panicking and thinking the car door isn't locked so I have to walk back and double check even though I know I've locked it.

Also leaving the iron on is something which I check far too many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I have to eat with all the doors and windows shut. Fresh air makes the food taste different. I can eat outside no problem but not indoors with doors open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I stack the dishwasher the same way. Doesn't bother me the 2nd / 3rd time filling it etc, but the first time has to be right. I've only just been able to deal with people putting bowls on the top shelf!!
    I think that the dishwasher is one of the worst things for little ocd habits. I have to have all the cutlery with their fellows. My OH keeps putting the mugs on the wrong side, it drives me mad, but I never say anything because it'd be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I lift the toilet seat up after i pee on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I lift the toilet seat up after i pee on it

Lol . That's not weird that's Just plain evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I was actually offered a holiday by my ex when we were going out, it was to visit family of his. I would have had my flights and accommodation all taken care of for me, but I couldn't go for one reason. In the house of the family we would have been visiting they practice the philosophy of "if it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow".

I wish I was grown up enough to be able to deal with that. But I wasn't. And still amn't.

The fockers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I always make sure the empty beer bottle labels are face up when stacking them back in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I always divide car registrations by 3 for some unknown reason to myself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Fieldog wrote: »
    I always divide car registrations by 3 for some unknown reason to myself....

How do you divide a WH by 3, out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Confab wrote: »
    How do you divide a WH by 3, out of interest?

10.3333333?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

When I'm buying a newspaper in the shop, I will never take the one at the top of the pile, I always take one from the middle of the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Cutlery together in the dishwasher, all ends down.
    Never take the top paper/magazine, though is just cause I don't want a mauled copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

kylith wrote: »
    I think that the dishwasher is one of the worst things for little ocd habits. I have to have all the cutlery with their fellows. My OH keeps putting the mugs on the wrong side, it drives me mad, but I never say anything because it'd be weird.

I hear ya on the cutlery front. Again I think its because it makes sense. It takes less time to put them away if they are all in the right place to start with.

Maybe I'm just in denial about my OCD!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

If I spin round one way (for whatever reason), I have to spin back the opposite way the same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

The way I wash my hands. Lots of soap, no touching the tap after you start washing them, and every part of my hands get washed 5 times in a certain way.

Advertisement